1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jokic IS more skilled than Hakeem...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Feb 9, 2022.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ah, OK. My memory isn't so good, it appears. :)

steddinotayto likes this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Vanilla shake.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It definitely seems like eons have past since the bubble playoffs and Denver DID get completely dismantled by the Suns last season.

I just hope either Murray and/or Porter comes back healthy or Denver finds Jokic a new partner because it's starting to look like some of Jokic's best years are being wasted.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hakeem played in an era where the low post dominant center is one of the most used formulas to win. I am not sure if Jokic would be used the same way if he played in those days. The Europeans were using the big men quite differently than in the NBA culture. I remember Pau Gasol's former coach said that Pau's game had become more limited after he joined the NBA. It's not a coincidence many of the best passing big men are from Euro league.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

DUMBALYTICS would prefer Jokic to shoot a 3 pointer here.... shotclock is expiring and hes a good 3 pt shooter after all? and its the most efficient shot in basketball lolol
    DUMBALYTICS

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why not? i thought 3 pointer is the most efficient shot in basketball and 3>2 and if he had high bbiq how come he didnt get it?

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

But it’s not just defense. Dream had superior footwork and body control. Prolific scorer as well.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In the NBA .. .esp back then . .. Jokic would be getting absolutely HAMMERED on the block
    Bill Laimbeer would have tried to decapitate him
    Those days were so much rougher
    Finesse Centers were rare

Rocket River

Easy likes this.
  10. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf is more skilled than Kyrie Irving. Discuss

hakeem94 and BossHogg713 like this.
  11. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Agree.

Discussion closed.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Jokic is a VASTLY superior passer compared to Olajuwon.... it isn't even close.

Olajuwon is the VASTLY superior player....... I would have a better chance of guarding Jalen Green than Jokic would have of guarding Olajuwon.... also Jokic doesn't like it when it gets chippy..... Dream did.

13. Nook

Nook Member

That particular move would not work against Olajuwon.

Love watching Jokic, love me some elite passing big men and guys that play with flair but that move is DOA against Dream.

HP3 and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  14. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

This is just plain stupid. Jokic is better at shakin those t*tties.

RocketWalta and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I keep reading about this vastly superior passing, Umkay. But I just know that the Rockets won back to back NBA Championships with the offense RUNNING THROUGH DREAM. Those teams wore the left side of the floor out running sets through their HOF center who was competing vs other HOF bigs for a title. Passing out of the post was most of the offense. I think Dream passed out of the post just fine.

#115 TEXNIFICENT, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
    hakeem94 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope, David, can't stop the music. Jokic.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

18. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Jokic vs Embiid on March 14

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In case you aren't being sarc....

The rules were different back then which prevented zone defenses and driving was much harder given there was no defensive 3 seconds. The net result was that it was much harder to create an open 3 shot and thus fewer players were three point shooters.

Michael Jordan, the greatest player ever - was a bad to average three point shooter. But it was a different era where three point shooting wasn't as critical to success. You had a few guys who were floor spacers like Steve Kerr and Paxson, and the Suns were very forward thinking in that department as were the Rockets (because of Hakeem ironically). But big men rarely shot the 3 ball then since they were far more valuable inside then out.

The reason Jokic plays so well today is because he has the strength and size of a throwback center with the shooting and passing of a modern NBA center. He's strong so today's modern big men can't deal with him outside of guys like Howard, Embid, etc. Hakeem did what he did against monster big men where you couldn't just outmuscle guys to the rim and shoot point blank like Jokic does today. Jokics offense game is more like Tim Duncan's with a good three point shot but lacking the defense.

He's a very good player, but his dominance is in part because he can exploit the modern game.

#119 Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and what if jokic would shoot a 3 pointer? he could have done that here.....