1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jokic IS more skilled than Hakeem...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Feb 9, 2022.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Caesar likes this.
  2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Joker has probably same height as Hakeem, but his body weight thrown around will be tough for Hakeem. Different from guys like Admiral, Pat, or Zo. Sabonis was huge mass and height, and he was slowed with injuries by the time they matched up. He typically got his season/career avg against Hakeem.
    Here Hakeem struggles to create space against that mass. Now obviously as mentioned Sabonis is much taller, but Jokers probably near thickness and similar foot speed as broken down Sabonis. This is the last gasp of Hakeems late prime as well, with 95-96 being his last true prime. Here in 96-97 he had lost several steps after the 95-96 season and then playing for Dream Team II summer of 96. He maybe could have given us another 26 and 11 if he rested all summer, but i wouldn't change anything b/c seeing Dream play for the USA basketball is the American Dream.

Point is, Joker is getting his. Hakeem is getting his. I think Hakeem would strategize Jokic the same way he did young Shaq, try and outrun him and wear his stamina down(Ahmad jokes Hakeem told him that would be his 95 Finals strategy and then Ahmad saw Hakeem in g1 and Hakeem yelled at Ahmad in game that he doesn't know what to do anymore b/c Shaq's not getting tired! Would Jokic?). Jokic can easily outscore him as the 3's add up, though. Hakeem would have to make that up in sheer volume.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dream was a thoroughbred while Joker is more of a farm horse. Intrinsically the styles of play differ broadly from one another just due to the era in which they play. 3's and passing were not qualities highlighted among that positional group in the 80s and 90s as they are now. I think Arvydas Sabonis is much bigger than Jokic and would agree that Dream had issues with that type of size as you reference Shaq, but his instinct and craftiness always seemed to offer enough or more in those matchups when you looked at his defensive impact. I think this discussion should highlight each players primes if there is going to be an apples to apples, but in the end it will never stack up right just due to the responsibilities asked of each guy. Joker is a special player nobody takes that away from him I just think Dream would have had his way with him if both were matched up in their prime.

Caesar likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Stop bumping this thread.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

This thread title p*sses me off every time I see it. It's time for it to die and drop off the front page. I like Jokic but come on... give me a break. No true Rocket fan would ever think this way.

No more replies now after this one please. Send it to the graveyard.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

LMAO, I literally came in the thread to say "who the **** keeps bumping this blasphemy?" It's disgraceful that this is on display on a Rockets forum on the first page for any casual to see.

HP3 likes this.
  8. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

1 thing I do know is that Jokic may be better skilled at shooting and passing but the dream is one of the best defenders ever. The dream could stop Jokic more then Jokic could ever dream(no pun intended)of stopping The Dream.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Why does being a rockets fan prevent you from having a logical discussion about something like this? Are you allowed to say lebron > hakeem? Or no

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Of course you're allowed to say it. The beauty of freedom of speech is everybody gets to say whatever they want, and be judged by those words.

HP3 likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I mean Lebron IS better than Dream. That is not really going out on a limb as much as it might perturb Houston fans. Lebron has a good argument as the best player to ever play the game.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The game was very different in the 80s and 90s, so Dream’s passing and shooting were outstanding considering the hand check rule and how offenses were ran from the inside out

seeingredtx likes this.
  13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Baseline J is money against Joker all night long. What's Joker's money-move against Dream? Who's going to be faster up and down the court and thus in an offensive and defensive position quicker?