1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Jokic IS more skilled than Hakeem...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Feb 9, 2022.

1. invocux

invocux Member

I already said that he's a better overall player i'm just saying offense demands more skill than defense. You can overcome your some of the obstacles on defense if you are a 7fter. If your have no offensive game you are f.ked you will never have them. Look at Claxton he's very good defensively but i bet my kidney on that he'll never be good on ft line let alone be a good 3pt shooter.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What are the top skills for a Center?
    No Order
    1. Inside Scoring - Hakeem
    2. Rebounding - Hakeem
    3. Assists - Jokic (Hakeem was more a hockey assist guy)
    4. Facilitating - Jokic
    5. Outside Scoring - Jokic from three but Hakeem in the midrange
    6. Running the floor? - Hakeem

1. Blocks - Hakeem
    2. Steals - Hakeem
    3. Helpside Defense - Hakeem
    4. Outlet Passing? - Tie - I've seem them both throw some bombs .. . neither is Otis Thorpe though
    5. *shrug* Itimidation? - Hakeem
    6. Hustle - Tie - They both hustle

Rocket River

htownborn34, Astrodome and tinman like this.
  3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Blinders

4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

May be true on paper, but really Jokic as one man can make your offense best in the NBA. Jokic's offensive ceiling + average defense undoubtably surpasses the sum of Hakeem on both sides.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Feels weird to have to say this - but Hakeem had MANY defensive skills light years ahead of Jokic. I get that Jokic is possibly the best passing big man of all time and he’s also not a defensive slouch, but Hakeem was also a very good passer in a different context and was likely the most complete defensive big man of all time. Aside from passing, I don’t know of a single skill offensively Jokic has very clearly over Hakeem - you could make a case for one being better than the other in scoring or rebounding skills-I would argue Hakeem for both categories but it’s close enough that it’s within the realm of subjectivity…but that’s one side of the ball and certainly Olajuwon is light years ahead of Jokic in all defensive categories - like it’s not even close.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Hakeem was a light years better defender then Jokic but you can't really believe that they were close on offense, can you? Hakeem was 4% above league average TS for his career, and peaked at 8%. Jokic is at 12% (MASSIVE gap), and peaked this season at 21% (lol). Hakeem was also mostly a bad to mediocre passer (check out thinking basketball greatest peaks video on hakeem), while Jokic is as good as any player ever regardless of position. You have to be objective, regardless of who your favorite player is.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jokic is the greatest offensive center ever. No one that size can score or pass from anyone on the court. Frankly, I am not sure if anyone any size can.

AlperenSengun and Noob Cake like this.
  8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

That's hilarious that you don't have enough context to understand that direct statistical comparisons won't work because the league is significantly different between those eras - different rules(that directly impacted offensive output), different schemes of the day, different types of players, different pace....not only that but freaking True Shooting in particular weights types of shots to determine efficiency and players by and large tailor their game today to that efficiency model now that it is widely known...but that was not known player players/teams at the time and thus they didn't optimize for it like today's players. It just goes to show you dont really understand what you are talking about because you think a stat is a stat and haven't seen enough seasons to really get a sense for just how much the league has and continues to evolve.

...this is why Daryl Morey and other analytics guys have really impacted the game because they proved out a lot of really important concepts for how to deliver peak efficiency in the NBA and now you see these amazing statistical seasons being put on by modern players and it would seem to suggest that many of today's players are better than most of the mid 90s players and that's just inaccurate because again those modern players are specifically trying to better their mark in those metrics that never even existed in the 90s and thus players before the age of analytics never even aspired to achieve.

To put it in silly terms - as a kid I probably stepped on 40% more cracks in the sidewalk before somebody told me "step on a crack, break your mother's back" though I hadn't necessarily become a significantly better 'walker' after hearing that childhood rhyme.

9. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

I can't believe this dumb crap got 16 pages of suckers. I can't believe I'm one of the suckers. I can't seriously believe anyone could seriously take this question seriously. If Hakeem were as skilled as Jokic that would make him both the most athletic center in NBA history and the most skilled. That mythical player would be head and shoulders better than MJ. There's nothing wrong with saying, "Dream was incredibly skilled and Jokic is even more skilled." I can't believe any of this. I lack belief.

JMAD21 likes this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I’m looking at their TS relative to league average…..how else can you compare their offensive relative to their era? I’m not comparing jokic’s TS directly to hakeems…what a ridiculous reply

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya he would likely have at least 10-12 mvps

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream made the finals in his second year

htownborn34 and saleem like this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

@Clutch
    What did I tell you about newbs?

15. tinman

Supporting Member

@J.R.
    Should never let non rockets fans here

htownborn34 likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

@Clutch
    Make new members take a test
    Remove all non 99ers and then make everyone take a rockets 101 test to join again

if anyone says jokic is better than Dream
    Excommunicate them
    @Space Ghost @rimrocker @heypartner

htownborn34 likes this.
  17. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Different games. Different skills. Hakeem starred in 84-75 and 90-84 victories.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

The game was very different
    If Dream was made a point center he could do it

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Akeem could shoot the three.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh I know he did that. I was at that game. I was in the last row of the lower bowl where the ceiling hung over the seats. I nearly broke my hand because I literally jumped up and punched into the air when that happened. Only there wasn't air above me. There was very solid stadium arena ceiling!

glimmertwins, basso and tinman like this.