1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Johnson, the Forgotten Member?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If Johnson just stood up a little straighter, people would stop talking about how small he is.

That said, I don't like what I've seen. He can't shoot. It will be important to see big improvement this year.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

He also missed a lot of baskets in the paint. Except he drastically changes his game, he's not a good fit for this team.

3. Asian Sensation

A guard who can't shoot and can't make plays. An undersized one at that... what else is there to say? His vertical is impressive that's about it.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He never looked right, never seemed like he got a grasp of the nba game and pace.

Not sure if he ever will either, I saw Parsons look like Johnson for like 1 week, and then boom here started to learn from his mistakes quickly and got into the flow. Johnson would be a fun player if he can make the transition, but he just seems so far away. and I guess i'v been spoiled over the years with Budinger, Patterson, Jones, Parsons and now Capela all showing promise in their rookie seasons.

5. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

People here were claiming his defense was good however I saw differently.

Jason Terry/Prigs was doing a better job containing/distracting CP3. While Johnson definitely has the athleticism to keep up and has better lateral quickness he still plays timid and doesn't play with any aggressiveness. How many steals/blocks did he produce? On top of which his shooting is so awful and worse than a DH12 free throw.

He looks like he'll be out of the league after his contract is up.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are crazy, a Johnson in the bush is WAAAAAAY better than a Johnson in hand. What is wrong with you man!??! :confused:

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do you want TWO Johnsons in the bush, though?

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

I thought this was a solicitation free site. You are scaring me man.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it is gay pride day today :grin:

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

People jumping to conclusions on a rookie guard drafted in the 2nd round. If I had to guess, he's in the rotation by mid season

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Upside seems to be more Courtney Lee than a true playmaking PG, or spacing 3 & D PG to play alongside Harden. I love his defensive potential, and athleticism but I just don't see a role for him to contribute with next year unless he takes a huge step forward with his shooting from distance, or all the sudden becomes a play-making guard which is tough to discover at this point in his BBall life.

Hopefully he proves me wrong. I do really like this kid. Its just tough to see a role right now.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Heh Johnson and member :p

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

I don't see him lasting very long in the league. I hoped he could be a Courtney Lee type player, but he just doesn't seem to get it all. No harm though, few second round picks pan out to be all that great.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He had a worse rookie season than even Marcus Morris, IMO. Really needs to turn it around to stick in the league.

15. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

People act like players don't get better from their rookie season. I swear if I hear one more second round pick compared to Parsons I will block the lot of ya!

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

This kid has potentials but He didn't get any serious PT. that's been said, he is still a better defensive PG than Terry& Prig or injured PB

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Seems like a lot of conjecture on Nick's potential. From what I saw in the two Summer Leagues and Vipers games, NJ has the ability to be a play-making PG, above average defender and decent scorer now. The key for him as he transitions to his SOPH year is working on his outside shot. If he can improve his outside shooting, there is no reason he can't be our starting PG.

If his shot doesn't get better, he can still contribute off the bench. The game doesn't appear too big for him mentally and I didn't see him make any huge mental mistakes when he did get PT w/ the ROX.

I've got to think that he benefited from practicing and learning from Terry, Bev and Prigs. If he works hard this off-season, we all may be pleasantly surprised by NJ this year.