1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Johnny Manziel Suspended by NCAA....

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ivenovember, Aug 28, 2013.

1. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

And I'm willing to admit I was very wrong. NCAA has impressed me with their fair and consistent punishment.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

NCAA once again proves that it doesn't give a sh** about principles and just cares about money. It's fine to suspend players to prove a point up until that starts really affecting their bottom line. Go ahead and suspended wide receivers from smaller schools, but definitely not Heisman trophy winner from an SEC school with numerous top games scheduled.

3. underoverup

underoverup Member

I think he made more than that; 50 cents isn't much unless you're a rapper.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

His first tweet should be "will spend first half Armor Alling my new rims!"

1 person likes this.
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

My only problem with the ruling is that it's the Rice game instead of the Sam Houston State game. :(

6. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

This part:
    "the student-athlete (or the institution acting on behalf of the student-athlete) is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics"

Now you could argue where the line is for eligible/broke the rule/ineligible, but it's still in there.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>To clarify: Manziel suspension for violating &quot;spirit&quot; of NCAA bylaw 12.5.2.1 &amp; 12.5.2.2. NCAA couldn't prove he broke any rules source said</p>&mdash; Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/statuses/372823225350520832">August 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Official: A&amp;M, NCAA agreed &quot;no evidence&quot; discovered Manziel took $. Agreed on suspension for &quot;inadvertent violation.&quot; <a href="http://t.co/n7wk1wjAJb">http://t.co/n7wk1wjAJb</a></p>&mdash; George Schroeder (@GeorgeSchroeder) <a href="https://twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/statuses/372821469840961536">August 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Part of punishment, Manziel must address team on the situation and lessons learned. A&amp;M must revise education on signing multiple autographs</p>&mdash; George Schroeder (@GeorgeSchroeder) <a href="https://twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/statuses/372826816605483008">August 28, 2013</a></blockquote>

#27 J.R., Aug 28, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

This is very bad for Rice. Before the suspension, Johnny was probably going to play the first two quarters, put up about 50 points, and then sit the rest of the game. Now, the backup QB will put up about 40 points in the first half, and then Johnny will start the second half and the crowd will go crazy and the Aggies may score 100 points for the game. It's going to be a bloodbath.

9. Major

Major Member

Lesson learned: if you want to make some extra cash, go sign a bunch of items but just make sure there's no evidence you got paid.

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Gotcha, it seems to me a good lawyer could walk over the wording in this "by-law" and that seems to be exactly what happened. He will technically be "ineligible for one half of football". It's like the A&M lawyers/officials threw the NCAA a bone and said we'll agree to the first half of the season nothing more, nothing less.

11. Major

Major Member

You think A&M said they'd accept nothing less than a half-game suspension? :)

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

That is just how I picture it so the NCAA will feel like they accomplished something when in fact they are a bigger joke than if he wasn't suspended at all IMO.

13. Convictedstupid

Hoping it's Kenny Hill. Really want to see what he can do.

14. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I still haven't heard one reasonable explanation why Manziel signed almost 5,000 autographs...

On an unrelated note, the NCAA still has an investigation open against Miami U that has been open for 3 YEARS!

15. So Good

So Good Member

16. So Good

So Good Member

My previous post was from Deadspin, who got it from the A&M website.

17. SK34

SK34 Member

If manziel was black, he would've been suspended for 3 quarters. Not fair.

18. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Just another example of the media working everyone up for absolutely nothing. We should have known better. I'm happy to see the kid play.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Can Johnny now sue the memorabilia broker who came forward with the story for slander? Since there's obviously no proof that he took money for the autographs, doesn't that technically make the broker a liar?

20. Major

Major Member

Umm... :confused: How does a lack of proof become proof of the opposite?