1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

With Wood and only one PG, we are definitely more balanced, but I don't think we're better, though that also has to do with other moves (losing Covington)

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I actually prefer bill over all of them lol

Mathloom and hakeem94 like this.
  4. DLT

DLT Member

Ariza loves Wall. He openly admits that Wall got him paid. I also see they played together alot in the off-season. They are close

5. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Do you got premium? I'm too cheap so I am only viewing the Public episodes.

6. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I like this roster. It is just funner to watch them on the court, if nothing else.

With Wall, I've been impressed. Much further along than I thought, and I was convinced he'd be on a minutes restriction and missing games for the first few months of the year. Good to see that's not the case.

That said, he's got to improve his shot selection. I don't mind the threes, or even mid-range shots. But he takes far too many twos that are a step inside the three point line. These are awful, inefficient shots. I think in the past we've gone too hard in the direction of 'layup or three' - we should take mid-range (around the FT line) shots when they open up and not insist upon a layup or three. But the deep two pointers are bad shots, and he needs to stop taking them.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Nah. It takes away from the game. Being respectful because he deserves it and a lot of people like him and remember him fondly but I draw the line at Nwaba-dabba-doo and not a single person is going to make me feel bad about it. He is so bad at play-by-play.

Ben Frank likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His jumpshot is probably the biggest weakness

tycoonchip likes this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i'll admit that i have become more intrigued by Wall. What i'm looking for is ...can he become a better shooter? If he hasn't taken the last two years to rehab and focus on his shooting, that would tell you a lot.

He's a player who predicated much of his game on his athleticism. yes he can see the court well and facilitate, but he's been very inefficient throughout his career. In 2017 he was finally shooting constantly at a high level and it looked like it was all coming together. but then the injuries hit.

He's not going to be able to rely on the same skills that he formally relied on. this happens to many nba players after injuries or who's athleticism get's sapped with age. the key is, evolving your game. if Wall can evolve his game to become a better shooter, it could be a game-changer.

I will be watching this shooting all year. he needs to have his best shooting year.

Dankstronaut and Easy like this.
  10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

With Wall, the type of 3 that he takes makes a big difference.

He's always been pretty good at catch and shoot 3s. The problem is when he's moving and then pulls up and shoots.

That's exactly what we've seen in the first two games.

He's shooting 3.5 catch and shoot 3s per game and he's shooting 42.9%.

The flip side is that he's shooting 4.5 pull up 3s per game but only hitting 11.1%.

If we can keep him from shooting 3s off the dribble then it would be a huge difference.

slothy420, yixiixiy, DonKnock and 5 others like this.
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lol

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

The problem is his form which will never change at this age, it's very slow and inconsistent. It looks like a heave

13. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

OKC can still swap the Heat 2021 pick with us, but if Harden is staying, we are likely to have better record than the Heat, so that swap won't happen.

I think the bigger loss here, is one year of Harden's prime, which directly led to him wanting out. I hope Wall can stay healthy and continue to play at this level, and if Harden wants out only because he wants to compete for championship, he has a better chance here than any of the potential destinations.

14. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

I am probably the biggest WB hater here, but to be fair, when both of the guys are at their prime, WB is clearly the better player. WB doesn't deserve the MVP IMO, but he was named to all nba team 9 times in the last decade, Wall in his entire career only gets to the all-nba team once. WB also absolutely destroyed Wall in their head to head matchups, averaging 26 + 7 + 8, shooting 46%, while containing Wall to 16 + 4 + 10, and 35% FG%. The record was 11 - 2.

Wall is without a better player now if he stays healthy. WB's game doesn't age well, and his obsession with triple doubles is only making things worse. On the other hand, Wall is playing like he can be better than he ever was.

BallSoHarden and joshuaao like this.
  15. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SSS and all, it'd be interesting to track this with Harden on/off court. My theory would be fewer pull-ups, more catch and shoots.

If Boogie and Gordon can round into form, that would add a lot of 2nd unit fire power -- and hopefully convince Wall to to avoid the pull up 3s. He strikes me as less stubborn than the guy we traded, but time will tell.

aelliott likes this.
  16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

John Wall is 30, he's gonna be worth a couple picks if we decide to do a rebuild the next 2 seasons (where we have our FRPs).

17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

J.J Barea is a Jerk, he needed to be Arrogant to play in the NBA.

Of Course they won't show the whole video that led before this incident. J.J talks too much when he checks in off the bench. Bench Player talking too much. Of course John Wall will defend himself.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

But if he's stationary when he catches the ball he shoots it well.

19. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

If we get Ariza or other top SF, we can become champion. We can move woods to power forward in the matchup with Lakers. Just require a good and tall 6ft 9 inches SF to guard Leborn, Kawaii, KD etc

palmsnbananas likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

but he’s a point guard. You want your pgs to be able to shoot off the dribble. If they are relegated to catch and shoot only that’s a big problem; and especially for a guy like Wall who is gonna dominate the ball. To me, if he’s never gonna be a decent shooter off the dribble then he’s not the answer.