1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That “not many” comment is getting outdated quickly.

You can add Nwaba to that list. Maybe the surgeons/techniques have just gotten better. Durant and Nwaba had the same one, and Wall’s was done by the Green Bay Packers guy. Considered best in NFL. Cousins seems rusty, but playing.

pgabriel, HP3, clos4life and 4 others like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If they survive one or two seasons of wear and tear, then you could call in safe.

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Strong W without Harden. Wall's fit with the team is real. This is a legit win.

Bill Worrell's reactionary-and-still-3-seconds-too-late commentary needs to go. I'm sure he's a nice man. But he never calls the play, describes the action as it is happening, nothing. He can barely tell you what happened and it's in canned corn phrases like, "Nwaba-dabba-doo". It's time. Ackerman can at least handle the mental workload of the job, whether you like his style or not.

4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Feigen article on the subject:
    “It’s related to our understanding more of, one, the biology of tendon healing,” Dr. Kevin Varner, who for 22 years has specialized in sports-related foot and ankle surgeries at Houston Methodist, said. “Two, the techniques that we’re doing and the suture material we’re using. And the last thing is our understanding to allow the rehabilitation programs to progress in a way to protect the tendon but also get maximum healing and strengthening of the muscle.”

Pretty good read, and you're spot on, @heypartner

pgabriel, Easy and conquistador#11 like this.
  5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm liking Wall, more than i thought i would tbh, even if the pick we got will never be great, it's still a 1st rounder so, i think it's already fair to say that as long as John stays healty we won the trade big time, maybe Harden will realize that too.

jayydela, HP3, jacoby and 3 others like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You mean we got Stone Walled?

Deckard, Jayzers_100, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That pick should eventually convey in the Mid teens ..

As to Wall..his play. I expected a lot, but he's already surpassed that. Color me REALLY impressed.

In my mind, it's always been about Wall staying healthy. And to be honest, I couldn't reconcile that big risk....now it looks to be a worthwhile one as a glimpse of the synergistic product is revealed.

Harden, Wall, and Wood will have big mojo.

Im not sure whether James is coming or going, but we could have the core of something very special. Add a 3 & 5..perhaps we're there.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Also Walls was only a partial tear which may mean not as severe a fix.

DD

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Wrong.gif

HP3 likes this.
  10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

John Wall is good. Consider he must still be a little rusty. Id guess he is performing at 80%-90% capacity/ability as of now. Give him 20 games to round into form.

Plowman likes this.
  11. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

Let B Dubb live man.. I just found out the other day he's in his 40th year commentating the Rockets. He's right behind Dream as far as Rockets legends.. with that being said... yea he should make this one his last year, would be nice to send him off with a Chip..

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Penetration: Westbrook = Wall
    Midrange: Westbrook > Wall
    3p: Wall > Westbrook
    Playmaking: Wall > Westbrook
    Rebounding: Westbrook >> Wall
    Defense: Wall >> Westbrook
    IQ: Wall >> Westbrook

The only thing Westbrook is significantly better Wall is rebounding, which is not a very important ability for a PG. Westbrook is also somewhat better in the midrange, but he doesn't know it and shoots way more 3s than he should.

13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This play is what has me the most excited about John Wall

When your stars are scratching and scraping for lose balls, that sets a different tone for the entire team. If Harden didn't get excited by this play and how Wall is willing to throw himself around, then I don't know what will. If Silas can get the whole team playing with this mentality--look out, we'll make some noise in the West. Wall is hungry and he's showing his love for the game--you gotta love that!

slothy420, clos4life, Plowman and 4 others like this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I think most people had their reservations with the Westbrook for Wall trade because they're both ball dominant and aren't the most effective spot up 3 point shooters at the PG position we've seen in Chris Paul.

People seem to still have thar stigma of underachievement when they think of Wall but fans forget that both WALL AND BEAL had an unlucky couple of years. I remember loosely following the Wizard's and everytime they were about to make a deep run in the regular season or playoffs one or the other would get injured.

That being said I've always thought of Wall as a significantly better PG over Westbrook to direct the offense as an actual PG should. If we can keep Harden here he would fit in amazingly.

Westbrook is better along side a Klay Thompson type player, where he can be the athletic, non stop beast he is. His game is way better suited for his stat stuffing media attention, but not so much for winning games unless he's in the right position.

Wall and Wood have been huge bright spots this season so far, glad to have them both. And Cousins seems like he's still a ways away from his productive self but it'll be nice to see him playing 20-25 minutes a game. Finally we have appropriately taller players for the front court, seems weird doesn't it? Morey could never lure a tall athletic PF to save this team but the moment he leaves..

Yung-T, hakeem94 and BamBam like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

[​IMG]

17. j@amc

j@amc Member

The biggest improvement that I think we'll see in Wall's game in the next three weeks is his passing. As he gets more reps and becomes comfortable with the scheme (and as his teamates come to realize all of what he can do for them), we'll see Wall pile up assists. He's always been very good at finding teammates. In this system, they'll be more open than ever.

If management can somehow keep this group together, they might post some historic assist-to-turnover ratios. That is if we can make more of our uncontested shots. We've been pretty average to below league average on this metric for a number of years.

18. gogispade

gogispade Member

I think he will become fan favourite pretty quick.

DLT and Jayzers_100 like this.
  19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well I dont think Wall is anything special on defense, even if he is better than Westbrook.

People forget last year from January until covid, Westbrook as averaging 30 ppg on 50%+ shooting with a lot of assists and rebounds, and the Rockets finished as the 4th seed.

I dont see the Rockets getting close to the 4th seed this year, but could be wrong

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Not going to speak on where the Rockets end up because it's so early and the West is so deep, but I will say the roster construction of this team vs. last year's team post- deadline is significantly more balanced. Outside of a another wing and a true backup PG, this team doesn't have that many holes. Given the draft assets we have, Stone could potentially acquire both fairly reasonably too.

jiggyfly likes this.