1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall on the Ben Simmons Situation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cutty312, Sep 22, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Not wanting to play is different from injury or illness.

The injury list is most important for the betting line.

I've mentioned that already, buying tickets after Wall/Simmons announced holding
    out. I've said many times, "for those who bought tickets months ago or gambled prior.

If two or three players from every team decide to forego their contractual obligations
    that would be disastrous for the league.

Best to nip that in the bud right away

As a side note: the NBA/Gambling sites don't want those gambling hesitating on gambling.
    Again I'm talking on gambling months in advance on something like over/under on win totals.
    Injuries are an accepted chance but players healthy refusing to play is a controlled matter.

If you haven't heard, the gambling business has become huge for pro sports and college.
    Big business is big money. Nothing for the NBA to just shrug off. We are talking that
    much money.

#101 ApacheWarrior, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

…clearly you have studied bird law. ;)

I wasn’t actually asking what would legally happen because the whole point of the post is that pursuing legal means is in and of itself a fruitless exercise because if it became a big enough problem for Simmons he could just show up and the Sixers would have to do the same thing of arriving at some sort of contractual compromise. That’s why my point is, the Sixers need to own how they have screwed over Simmons so they can get past this because they continue to delay the inevitable conclusion of this scenario.

3. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

It's all the same and not that difficult. No doubt that 2010 Cyprus contract you refer to had a provision on reasons for cancellation and the consequences. The complexity there is it would be an international court case which can be quite challenging and expensive.

Teams can't let this type of train runaway as honoring mutual agreements is fundamental to the function of the league. I think in this case teams and the league will drop the hammer repeatedly to discourage repeats of outright breach and encourage collaboration on solutions privately. If the collab fails there is arbitration but in the end the player will wind up having to abide by the sequence outlined in their agreement and the CBA.