1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall informs the Rockets he wants to return to play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by H. Christopher, Nov 27, 2021.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

People excited about this right now are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Wall is a Westbrook with the slightest bit more brains, but is worse at just about everything else.

apollo33, HP3, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  2. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

As long as he doesn't play selfish basketball like last year I'm fine with it I guess.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Salvy

Salvy Member

Garuba and Christopher also inform Rockets they want to return to play....

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets guard John Wall has sought to begin conversations with Rockets general manager Rafael Stone that he hopes could lead to playing this season, two persons with knowledge of conversations confirmed on Saturday.

Wall is expected to make a case that he can play and still help with the team’s goals to develop young talent at his position, an individual with knowledge of his thinking said.

His conversation with Stone on Friday was only to set up additional talks and did not yet include him contending that he should play, a significant change in the plan to sit out while the team sought a trade.

Talks are expected to center on what sort of role he would play, with the team still planning to place a priority on playing time for young players. That would leave only a limited role with the team unsure how Wall would feel about returning in that scenario.

Wall has always preferred to play, the individual familiar with his thinking said, but understands the Rockets’ rebuilding plans, the individual said. He believes, however, that he can play and still help players grow, the person familiar with talks said.

There is no agreement to alter the plan that has had Wall sitting out while the Rockets have sought a trade. ESPN was first to report that Wall had a conversation with Stone on Friday about returning to play with additional talks planned for Sunday. Stone did not want to get too far into any conversations without including Rockets coach Stephen Silas on Sunday.

Wall has not played this season with the Rockets placing a priority on giving extending playing time and playmaking roles to guards Kevin Porter Jr. and Jalen Green. There had been no talks with Wall about playing when Porter missed three games with a bruised thigh, another individual with knowledge of the team’s thinking said.

Wall, who has been increasingly involved in practices this week but had been working out and traveling with the team throughout the season, had said before the season that he was on board with the plan to sit out. He has two seasons, $91.7 million remaining on his contract.

“Talking with Rafael, talking with coach (Stephen) Silas, we felt it was the best decision for both parts of our team to make that decision,” Wall said before the season. “It wasn’t easy. It was tough.

“My job is to be a mentor, to be a leader, to try to teach these young guys how the NBA goes and be a support system throughout the whole season.”

“He’s traveling with the team and working out, and preparing himself for whatever comes next for him,” Silas said. “He’s been good for our group. He’s been good as far as watching film with guys and pulling them aside when they come off the court. He’s on the bench. He is definitely a helpful presence.”

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and not only that, garuba also wants more ballhandling duties

Salvy and berkowsk like this.
  7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He’s saying all the right things and is well connected to the team. He knows development is the priority.

I’m keeping an open mind.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think Wall will be good for a win or two, maybe.

But be careful for what you wish for.

Not sure he and Sengun will mesh as well as you believe.

HP3 likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

That is a huge caveat.

ThatboyPhuong and HP3 like this.
  10. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

December 15th around the corner! Jalen out. Time for John to show his value to teams across the league. I think this is a good thing provided that Stone can get him moved before or at the trade deadline..

jch1911 likes this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

May as well just activate him straight to IR.

No Worries likes this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

the return of the franchise player, da tank commander

ApacheWarrior and ThatBoyNick like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Warmly welcome back Mr Tank commander

Legit I find this news a little exciting, even after how badly he played last season, I have a small hope he can have a bounce back year. He didn’t play for over 2 seasons coming into last year, coming off an achilles tear, a lot of guys take a year to knock the rust off, Wesley Matthews looked awful returning but eventually found his footing again

Hoping Wall can do the same, feel like a low risk moderate reward move to have him come back, the team can’t get any worse then it is, and he doesn’t have anywhere near enough value to trade at the moment anyhow

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Clutch the Bear needs a backup

Wall finally realized he becomes more irrelevant each day he doesn't play
    in the NBA.

Bad sports agent advice 101

Monkeychef02 likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not that Wall would agree, but does the current CBA even allow a contract to be restructured for LESS money? I'm pretty sure a buyout or trade would be the only way we could pay him less.

16. i3artow i3aller

What value would he hope to generate upon returning? I feel like John Wall would have to set the basketball world on fire with his play in order to boost his current trade stock and that's not likely to happen. What realistic trades are even out there? It's not like we're going to flip him for Westy again.

ico4498 likes this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

With Green out I don't see why not. We are thin at the guard position and KPJ is not a pg

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is true…he can at least run offense better than KPJr which is his only positive

I would like to see

Wall
    Green
    KPJr
    Tate
    Wood

HP3 likes this.
  19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The 76ers have been a contender for years and may have done a better job of rebuilding still if Hinkie weren't forced out and Colangelo and Brand didn't come in and make lots of dumb moves.

Minnesota is one of the worst ran franchises in the league and it's also in one of the least desirable markets.

These are very bad examples. Our only two championships in franchise history came after we tanked for Hakeem. The Spurs built a dynasty by tanking for Duncan. Currently the Suns are one of the best teams in the league and they built through the draft then added Chris Paul. The Jazz are another of the best teams. They built through the draft. The Nuggets are another. They built through the draft.

It's very weird to me that you think because Daryl Morey did the impossible once that we can do it again. Also, we don't even have any options left to us but to build through the draft. We don't have the talent to do otherwise.

HTown_TMac and Corrosion like this.
  20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's actually amazing how many people miss this fact. Beal is one of the more common comps for Green, we already know players of that style can work alongside him.

Denovo likes this.