1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

That makes perfect sense but for what? Save Tillman some money? We are not contenders nor do I see us signing an star/all-star in the offseason...why handicap our selves in the future when its going to matter. Let Tillman eat the contract or most of it since he pushed to get Russell Westbrook.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If it doesn't cost the Rockets draft picks or young talent , I'm down like Charlie Brown ..... but the moment you start adding assets , be it picks or players to Wall to move him , I balk like an ornery old stubborn mule..

There's no real benefit to using assets to speed up time when they are as bad as they are ....

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh I 100% agree. Not one single pick. Not one single young player. If they are desperate enough to do this just to try to keep Kawhi then fantastic! If they aren't, we can let Wall rot here.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  4. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Cap room isn't just for signing all-stars. Cap room also allows us to sign players like Christian Wood, Jae'Sean Tate, etc. Right now, depending on if we keep some of our free agents or not, we may only have the MLE. Having to spend less on the salary cap also means Tillman will be more likely to do things like buy second round picks (though to his credit he ponied up on Kenyon Martin Jr last year). It even allows you to sign very desirable veteran role-players that contending teams covet and later trade them to a contender for picks. Do you have no recollection whatsoever of Morey talking about flexibility? We are in asset collection mode. The draft is not the only way to collect assets. Free Agency can be another way. A free agent we sign doesn't even have to have a future with us, they just need to be somebody who is the right combination of desirable player/desirable contract so that other teams would consider sending us a couple second rounders (or in some cases, maybe even a 1st) and an expiring to add that player to their roster for their playoff run.

I just feel like you have BimaThug on ignore or something.

REEKO_HTOWN, jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  5. danoman

I understand all of that. I just don’t want to drag a bad contract longer than we have to because we are going to need our cap space in n 3-4 years.

Ramo$e likes this.
  6. DonatelloLimestone

I'm a fan of KJ, think stone nailed it and we got an unlikely catch and hes a keeper in my eyes. I think he can start down the light too in any case, his physicality and tenacity makes him a keeper and ability to contribute in a few levels.

But we didn't pay 4-5 million for that pick, making it hte most expensive 50s pick ever, maybe most expensive 2nd round pick ever bought. That was done to complete the ariza deal for them to absorb his salary. Just more tilman style selling crap like a trade swap add in so it looks better on paper but one we may never use.

But I do agree, asset collection mode in our situation is get the most we can wherever the fit and hopefully we have things to play with when opportunity comes about. We don't have a set direction without a cenerpiece, but exciting prospecs, at this point we should swing at all hope that doesnt stifle our future.

7. danoman

That's all I'm saying. I'm all for trading John Wall, lets break up his contract up in to smaller pieces but I don't want to drag his contract out like a bad case of an STD that we cant shake off and regret forever. Lets just deal with our mistake and move forward.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Winning a championship is like ultimate hit of serotonin with a hint of euphoria. Wall coming out of Kentucky had the tools but injury, like so many others, hindered his progression within the realm of leading a team to a championship. He made his money and take part in the game in another way.

9. dmoneybangbang

Knicks really look like they could use some veteran point guard help...

luckyman76, jch1911 and D-rock like this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Wow, pairing Wall and KPJ on the court at the same time would likely result in very bad things. (Unless it's our plan to lose as many games as possible.)

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Kind of funny because I called the Wall-KPJ-Green lineup like a month ago. No way any of them are fine with sitting on the bench.

Wall-KPJ-Green-Tate-Wood sounds like our opening day lineup then.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

**** no! Definitely not down with Green at SF just because this ******* is still here.

hongxingli, juanming and RasaqBoi like this.
  14. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shouldn't it be?

I actually say that half in jest. I think there should be experimentation. I don't think there is going to be much risk involved in trying to find the best combinations to try and win. I don't believe it will lead to actual wins. If you were able to play our 5 best players for 48 minutes per game every night all season long, we wouldn't beat many teams' regular rotations. The fact that we would have pages long disagreements about who those 5 players are should be a slight indication that we aren't ready.

There is no tanking with this team. Tanking means that you put your best player(s) on ice in order secure a low win total. We don't have to do that. Our chances at the first pick will be roughly the same as if we try to win every game. And the benefits of that for our team may be more substantial than the difference between players we get at #5 or #9.

jch1911, Dobbizzle and CXbby like this.
  15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Anybody who thought Wall wouldn't start was definitely deluding themselves I think. You don't get paid money like that to sit on the bench, it is what it is. KPJ and Green starting and getting the minutes/reps in is the most important thing, those are our main focus guys. It'd be stupid to sit either of them when you're going to play Wall, and it's not like you can't slide them into their regular positions as soon as he sits. Now there's some firepower on the team, Wall might even go back to being a proper PG again, doubtful he's all-star quality but still, if he's healthier than last year and less selfish then I see nothing to worry about at all. KP can learn a lot from Wall. Sounds like Wall's in with the coaches, so I doubt he's not helping these guys come along. It's the best win we can hope for regarding Wall if he buys in a bit, the contract means he aint movin, better he's happy and helping our future guys than disgruntled and ****ing them up.

theDude likes this.
  16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Remember the two-week WoW era? Let's get an appreciation thread for that STAT.

Ramo$e and jch1911 like this.
  17. DonatelloLimestone

Christian wood was signed by the MLe or close enough to where we could orcehestrate that trade right now again.

It would be nice to have john walls contract off, but I'm with the otehr guys. Only if we don't lose valuable assets that we painstakingly collected after a year on the bottom and a blow up of our team. I'm not willing to get rid of those same assets Soley to help the owner bc thats only person seeing the cost and thats why its a billionaires boys club thats so lucrative and worthwhile theres a line of people who want to get in the 30 man club.

If there is one that gives us financial flexibltiy for more signings, sure that makes sense. But right now most likely we're not spending big, we'rerebulidng and frankly no high level talent is going to come to us this next year or wtwo and then John walls contract will be a expiring one year this coming summer and becomes far more tradeable then or even the buyout might make more sense. But yea unless the flexiblity is tangible to get better at the moemnet then we can go for it, right now we're just developing our own plays and john wall has the worst contract in the nba

All in all, its for the same reason Thunder didn't try to get rid of Al horford with picks. Given the lack of competitive need for the franchise in rebuilding, unless you have something directly we can add to our team ,it doesn't make sense. IT doesn't hurt us all to stand pat and keep him on or even send him home like al horford and wait it out.

18. i3artow i3aller

Save the winning for year three. I'm all for letting the young core grow and develop as we stockpile more lottery picks over the next two years.

19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Tate should not start but have Wood at PF and Theis ar Center, Tate should start on the bench with Mwaba and Garuba

20. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Nah if Green is starting at SF, Tate should start for defensive balancing of the starting lineup