1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Wall and three 1sts, three swaps to the Nets for James Harden.

amaru, dmoneybangbang, B-Bob and 7 others like this.
  2. raining threes

I'm an idiot

I'm actually looking forward to the rebuild of the Rockets, Texans.

Hopefully these new GM's can do as good of a job as Luhnow did.

Nook and mikol13 like this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Right but the Rockets and Texans find themselves in dramatically different situations than Luhnow's masterpiece/chip Astros rebuild. What Tilman and Cal are doing are more akin to Drayton selling off everything of value and eventually the team.

Oh **** I just gave myself hope :smh:

raining threes likes this.
  4. HROZ

HROZ Member

If Wall accepts a payout for $25 million less. The Rockets get $25 million in cap space.

There really is no team who wants Wall at his price, there's better players out there for less. I mean I doubt he starts on our team next year (Esp if we get Cunningham Green or Suggs)

And the $70 we have already lost that(At the moment we have lost $90+ million). We save $25 million in this scenario, and hopefully can use that $25 million to find another piece to put next to Wood & PorterJr (& hopefully a top 4 draft pick).

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

You keep trying to tell people this and it continues to be wrong. Like it doesn't dawn on you that a concept seemingly so simple, you would think more people would have seen that. Big problem though, it doesn't work that way which is why nobody actually says this

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I thought we could not use the stretch provision on him.

DD

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Patrick!!

The People hath Spoken!

Tell yer cheap daddy to buy out Wall!

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I don't believe we can at his current salary. If I did the math correctly, he'd have to agree to buyout his remaining salary to below $81.75m in order to be allowed to stretch his deal.

I'm not sure that the Rockets would prefer to take a $16m+ cap hit for 5 years rather than just paying out the contract ( reduced or not) and being done with it in 2 years.

DaDakota, Adiano-Malko and saleem like this.
  9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Still hurts knowing we could have CP3 AND be done with the contract next year AND pay 3 million less.

10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Somebody will take wall and two first rounders.

DreamShakeFTW likes this.
  11. Adiano-Malko

Adiano-Malko Member

Wooo sahhhh YOLO lol some people like this wo/man haven’t been informed/educated on this particular situation..

12. Adiano-Malko

Adiano-Malko Member

There’s no one who wants to contend for the playoffs next year that has enough garbage contracts to match salary...andddd 2 firsts? Creepy joe: COME ON MAN

13. Adiano-Malko

Adiano-Malko Member

Why would we do that???

coachbadlee likes this.
  14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Trade him to orlando or sacramento. It's a good place for him to let his career die. Hell it's where basketball goes to die.

amaru and B-Bob like this.
  15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What if Wall stays?

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We can NOT use the stretch provision on John Wall.

League rules prohibit stretching contracts that exceed 15% of the cap.

How bad is John Wall's cap figure ? He makes 42.1% of the cap for 21/22.

$47,366,760//$112,414,200=0.42135

No Worries and DaDakota like this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Really that's the best option for Stone to take - For Now.

Getting rid of him just to get rid of him is pointless ....Throwing assets out the window along with him is just stupid.

Ride it out another season and a half at which time he's a $47,366,760 expiring contract you can package with some of your stockpile of draft picks to bring in an impact player at the 22/23 deadline.

lakersuck2 and mikenm268 like this.
  18. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

...AND keep our pick this year guaranteed AND have one more (net) first round pick

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You're misunderstanding the rule. It's not based on his current salary's percentage of the total cap. It's based off of a single year of the stretched payments vs this years cap. Here's the explanation from Coon's FAQ:

What that is saying is that you can't stretch a player if the total amount owed to waived players in a single year would be greater than 15% of the cap when the player is waived. Here's the calculation (NOTE: I'm using this years cap figure since next year's isn't finalized):

The current cap is $109.1M.

15% of the cap is $16.365M

Wall has two years remaining on his deal ( for the purpose of stretching, player option years get counted as guarenteed money). That means that if Wall were stretched, he would be paid off over 5 years ( two times the number of years remaining plus 1).

Assuming that we're not paying any other money to waived players then the yearly payment to pay off Wall's deal over 5 years can't exceed $16.365M/ year ( all years have to be equal amounts).

That means that the most we could pay off would be $16.365M x 5 = $81.825M.

That's less than Wall is owed, so the only way that Wall could be stretched is if he first agrees to a buyout that reduces the amount owed him to $81.825M or less. Wall is allowed to agree to such a buyout if he wanted to.

As I said earlier, I'm not sure that the Rockets would want to tie up $16M+ per year for 5 years. It's probably better to just bite the bullet and take the full hit over the next two years.

The other option, is to hang on to Wall and to hope that at some point before the end of his deal that he has trade value.

No Worries, mikol13 and Corrosion like this.
  20. HROZ

HROZ Member

You're so dumb.
    I've literally attached multiple links showing buyouts where players leave money on the table,. When they do that, the money they leave on the table is taken off the cap. Here is another one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.de...s-blake-griffin-buyout-financial-implications

Please provide me an article / link. You can't because you're wrong.
    How many times do we need to do this.