1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I want Wall as our Point Guard this year. you always need leadership and experience for that position. We need Wall for points, assist and leadership on the floor. Every team need leadership. I keep hearing people say, give the keys to Porter to be our Point Guard. What???? Porter just learned the PG position last year, he only played 25 games last year with us. This position is new to him, last year he had alot of turnovers, and he got frustrated alot when his shot was off, or we gets mad if he thought he was foul and just give up on the play or the next play. I like Porter, he has talent but he is not ready to lead this team. We are hoping he can be a leader and grow into the position. I'm shock people want to start a guy who only played PG this year(25 games experience) and Green who is a rookie. Wood is not a leader, Porter is not a leader every team needs a leader. Silas want to win this year, he knows he might be on the hot seat winning only 20 games this year. Silas is keeping Wall and keeping Gordon and Augustin on the bench because he wants to win. Tillman wants to win because he needs to sell tickets, merchandise and food at the game. None of these guys looking to tank for another high draft pick, they have enough talent now we just need Porter, Wall and Wood to be vocal leaders on this team. No injuries, work on shooting and defense, defense, defense!!!

MultipleSauces likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not mind him for half a season but any normal veteran would want to chase a ring rather than be stuck in development mode long term.

Unless one thinks that one is injury prone and can't play major minutes.

UTSA2step and burlesk like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is how you become the New York Knicks of the decade.

Wall has no part of this team's future and just takes development time away from KPJ and Green. And starting the young guys will sell more tickets than starting Wall.

We won't win either way with starting Wall or the young guys.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Love you broski... But you literally could see games last year where Wood (and others) were wide open and Wall would attack 3 defenders rather than pass.

It felt like Wall would pass the ball early in the game and then when he reached a certain point of assists, he went full tank commander.

#224 jch1911, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    ThrillaNManilla and Denovo like this.
  5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'll pitch in two fifty

Sean Dr34ms and burlesk like this.
  6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I agree with needing veteran presence but not who is going to provide that. To out it in football terms, kpj is the starting qb and he needs a experienced backup qb who has accepted that role and knows he is there only to help the starter. Wall is like the backup qb who things he is better and should be starting. He is looking to market himself and not neccesarily help young kids grow at his downfall.

MettaWorldPete, jch1911 and burlesk like this.
  7. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We need Porter, Gordon and Wood to be the main scoring for out team. We need Wall to get 10 assist a game and let Green, Garuba and Sengun to get at least 28 minutes a game. I believe this can happen, with the guards being Wall, Porter, Green and Gordon. Augustin minutes will be decreased. At least, middle of the year he might trade Wall to Clippers but for now, training camp and the first part of the season we need Wall. Wall was good when Harden was there and even with Wood being the STAR player, but when Wood got hurt....Wall wanted to be the Franchise player and he was not. He is a 5 time ALL STAR!!!! Every year he was a ALL STAR in the NBA , unless he was hurt and miss large amount of games. We need our ALL STAR and I believe Wood can be a ALL STAR this year and Porter MOST IMPROVED PLAYER. Green can be rookie of the year and maybe two year from now Garuba is on the ALL DEFENSIVE TEAM....no more tanking and let the player developed.....then next year gives the keys to Porter and then Harden's contract runs out wit the Nets and then Hardon comes home after winning a championship with the NETS......just like Lebron did with the Cleveland....:)

8. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I am shocked that some of you feel the goal is to win more than 25 games this season. Keep Wall till you can get a decent trade for him. This year or next year, I don't care, just do not give up assists to get rid of a guy who will probably miss 35-45 games no matter what, when the goal is not to win.

9. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Isn't Augustin intended to be the vet presence?

eliefor3 likes this.
  10. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

With the Clips signing Reggie, it looks like waiting for a possible injury to move Wall at the deadline is the only thing that makes sense. He's going to start as long as he's here, unless he sits due to some (unspecified) injury. I'll look at the glass half full if he's here and playing, but I'll assume it'll be KPJ that suffers the most from both role and playing time.

jch1911 likes this.
  11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I agree with you I remember the OKC game when they played in Houston and he would npt pass it too Wood. I was told Silas talked to him about that but he is a little jealous because everybody is not talking about him...but the players in the locker room likes him. He has more player to pass to this year: Porter, Green, Gordon, Wood and Theis. He can get 10 assist a game with this group and even 18- 20 points a game. We have a decent team. We have a 5 time all star(Wall), a soon to be all star(Wood), most improved player(Porter) and a rookie of the year(Green)

I honestly think we are the best team in the Southwest Division!!!
    We are not scared of Dallas...we beat them 2 out of 3 times this year)
    We can beat New Orleans(they have talent but confuse how to win....no leadership)
    We can beat San Antonio(no stars on their team...just average)
    we can beat the Grizzles( the one man gang Morant)

Keep our team like t it is and get into the playoffs, play the rookie for at least 28-30 minutes a game, no injuries, and play defense this year

burlesk and jch1911 like this.
  12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Dont know what you talking about. No real Rockets fan wants to see John Wall this year. If he's starting I'm not watching. The only interesting thing is watching our young guys develop even if we lose. With John Wall we might still be a lottery team, best case scenario 1st round exit. No one wants that.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I was with you until the last part. If Harden wins with the Nets, why would he come back here when he could carry on playing with the Nets and win more rings?

14. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Look I appreciate/respect the perspective, and there could be a bit of confirmation bias (on both sides). Of course there are going to be low BBIQ, bad decision basketball plays over the course of a season, but I genuinely don’t think he was blatantly out there trying to get stats. Why? What is the motivation? He is already on a max deal with multiple years left.

I’ll give you there may be a bit of slightly misplaced ‘I’m a star and I’m going to win this game for us’, like Westbrook to a less extreme degree. But personally I never saw ‘I’m gonna get mine and screw everybody else”.

How would you feel if you are/think of yourself as a top 15-25 type player when healthy, coming back from a major injury, and you think you are getting out of a bad situation to go play with Harden and compete for a championship, and instead the team quickly becomes a tanking glorified GLeague team? I can understand why he would legitimately feel pretty screwed over by how least year shook out.

jch1911 and Jalen Green OnlyFan like this.
  15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is the possibility that if he plays well, Wall may not want to exercise his player option for the final year. It’s a gamble, but he might think it’s worth it in order to go ahead and secure an additional 3 years, even though it will be a lower per year salary.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Of course he’d prefer that. That’s not the issue and is out of his control (unless he stupidly gives up an insane amount of money in an early buyout)

The issue is whether or not anyone is willing to trade for him. Some certainly will next year and maybe Even this year if he proves he can stay healthy and isn’t washed.

Time is on our side and we should not act with any desperation or urgency.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No way in hell Wall exercises his player option . . . .he will NEVER get that 40+ million back
    I mean . . I guess if he does and can get 3/60 in its place .. or something like that/. . . .maybe

Rocket River

18. juanming

juanming Member

Both tilman and wall are dropping the ball

Wall, if he was a true leader and winner would demand a trade to a contender

He isn't
    Atleast what Silas is saying publicly wall wants to teach the new guys

Disaster.

I do NOT want our young guys learning anything from wall

And tilman should just bite the bullet and pay the buyout

Both are dumb

I understand in two years his contract will be a net positive as an expiring and a trade chip.... Problem with that is I don't want to waste the next two years of the young kids development by following and losing minutes behind brick brick brick no pass the ball ballhog tank commander wall

MultipleSauces likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I wish we had CP3. He would be the best role model and mentor for these guys.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

It literally doesn’t matter if he demanded a trade to a contender if said contender doesn’t want him. And looking at every single legitimate contender he makes 0 sense for them. If I was wall, why in the world would I give up money from my super max I worked my entire life for. And right after I tore my achilles and my game relies a ton on athleticism. Let all of that sink in

Yeah Tilman is dumb. Agreed. But we knew that already