1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Wall Buyout thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 17, 2021.

1. Denovo

Denovo Member

Im cool with keeping him if we move Gordon. Green can thrive in 30-35 minutes off the bench in the sixth man role and start when Wall sits.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This has been my position from the day he got here ....

We know we're tanking .... even if we don't try to.

Green and KPJ can't play 48 minutes per ....

As long as Wall buys into being the stabilizing force , I don't see any problems at all.

His contract is why people don't like him - being all but unmovable but when it becomes an expiring it will present a huge opportunity to add a piece that does fit and fill a need.

Wall's contract alone allows them to move something like 58m in salary at "next year's trade deadline".

Or if things haven't worked out as planned with the current group , they can take on someone else's bad contract for draft picks.

Jalen Green OnlyFan likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no wonder rockets were the worst team in nba.... either silas is clueless or this is just PR to make shipping wall out possible

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

This better be just a PR smokescreen in order to trade Wall easier

or I am considering not lifting my ban on watching rockets

"he knows how to become an allstar" lolololololol my goodness

D-rock likes this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It all depends on how he feels about coming off the bench in limited numbers. The urgency is that we want KPJ and Green to be playing with Tate, Wood, and [Insert Center] as much as possible, which is NOT possible if Wall wants to still be playing heavy minutes. In short, unless he's OK coming off the bench for 15-20 minutes, I do not want him on the team personally.

D-rock likes this.
  6. mightybosstone

I don't necessarily think it's a smokescreen to make dealing him easier, because I don't think Wall can realistically be traded. But it's definitely PR, and I'd take it with a grain of salt. I'm not doubting that he's one of the leaders in the locker room as one of the few guys over the age of 30 with legit NBA experience. But I also think the Rockets aren't exactly going to come out and say "This dude is mediocre as hell with paper mache for knees. We'll give you free Landry's for life if you take him off our hands."

Dacamel and D-rock like this.
  7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think a lot of y'all are focusing in on a few bad games and overlooking the overall picture here. John Wall is a good player. And a year further removed from his catastrophic injury, he'll likely be better this season than he was last season. Sure, the contract is horrendous and probably untradable. Yes, he's "blocking" KPJ and doesn't fit with the team's timeline. But all this talk about him sucking is overblown. I would not be at all shocked if he were the Rockets' best player this season.

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

nice job covering all the bases

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What does "give KPJ more space this year" really mean though? When Wall and KPJ share the court Wall dominates the ball and Scoot is relegated to a spot up shooter. Either Wall starts or KPJ starts, I dont see how they can coexist efficiently and induce growth on the team at the same time.

D-rock and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya that comment about Wall worries me. I hope it's just pr to make Wall look good so it's easier to trade him.

Wall should not be in any discussion about the future development of this team. He's a nice hard working dude off the court but his play style is the last thing needed on this team when developing young potential star guards. He's going to suck up usage like a vacuum when he's on the court giving no space to develop the future.

Anyways, I'm sure Wall himself would rather be on a team that's competitive right now.

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wall will start next to KPJ and while Wall is on the court KPJ will play more of a SG role and when Wall sits KPJ will play more of a PG role. That versatility is what makes combo guards so valuable.

Of course it would be better if they could dump Wall so Green could start next to KPJ, but I'm not sure that kind of trade will happen before the season.

Dacamel likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Did KPJ grow, he looks like 2" taller.....how tall is he now? I mean if he is 6'7" now he could be our SF.

DD

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol its not few bad games or the injury, the problem is his mentality, not his physical ability, he seems like he doesnt even look to pass the ball most of the time, and cant throw a freaking lob to wood who is one of the players easiest to throw a lob pass to ....
    he should have become a professional tennis player not basketball player which is a team sport...

the talk of johnny the ballhog being a lockeroom leader and his ability to teach yougins how to become an allstar is hilarious...you should want him 1000 miles away from your youngins if anything...

I understand if tilman wants to put people in seats, at least players (like westbrook) that are ferocious or great dunkers are somewhat attractive to watch, but who in his right mind would want to watch john wall of all people play the basketball lololololol probably not even his mother is looking forward to his games with anticipation and excitement lolololol

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me preface this by saying I'm totally stoked about where Green's most likely headed. ( I see him putting up 22-24/gm in a couple of years)

But, the idea of him playing 33 - 35 minutes a game THIS year is.....not realistic.

Again, Wall and EG will cut into his minutes. This is KPjr's team at the moment and he needs plenty of time up top.
    Also, it's going to take a minute, for Jalen to adjust/grow into the NBA. It's going to be kinda grueling on both ends at first...They're gonna pound on him.
    I see his MPG sitting at 26 - 28 by years end.( with more coming in the second half)

D-rock likes this.
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why not just sit Wall for the season, why you need to trade him? you aint geting nothing for him anyway and even if you trade him you need to pay fixed amount to other players then anyway so youre not saving money....

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL at wall holding this franchise hostage

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am fine sitting Wall for the season, but at some point the concern is if he will cause any drama. For now though, he's been very professional about his situation.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, a few things

1. I don't think they necissarily believe that they couldn't manage to flip Wall for expiring/non guaranteed contracts and picks if he plays well

2. If you bench him, it almost certainly creates a toxic locker room, which is the last thing a young team needs.

3. Most of their young guys like Green are super raw and not really NBA ready anyway. They'd likely benefit from being eased into the league.

Dacamel likes this.
  19. Plowman

Supporting Member

No. He's that rarest of gems....a 6'7" PG with ELITE skill, talent, and athleticism. Yes, Kevin can play the wing, when we need him to go get some.. but that's not where the true value is...or where a majority of his minutes should be.

20. Plowman

Supporting Member

FTR - As to Wall, my position is that we should wait and trade him as an expiring at next year's deadline. But, I'm not sure the powers that be agree with me.

Dacamel and D-rock like this.