1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[John Oliver] Third party canidates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Oct 17, 2016.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I actually watched the whole thing wondering if McMullin was going to come up.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I was guessing this was the first time that 'cromulent' was used on this board, but moestavern actually beat you by 6 years.

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

HBO are huge Clinton donors so be wary and think for yourself.

4. bacliff

bacliff Member

Just curious. Are there any Libertarians here?

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I see, please tell me how this conspiracy works - Gary Johnson and Jill Stein - who will be complete non-factors in the election, in no small part due to them being terrible candidates in their own right - are currently having no impact in a blowout election as Trump implodes and Hillary routs him.

Therefore, big Clinton Donor "HBO" - a sentient being, huddles with John Oliver to launch a series of sick burns on terrible candidates who are making zero difference anyway.

Why do you think this is a more plausible scenario than Johnson and Stein, who are both comically inept as serious presidential candidates and who both harbor a vague mash-up of mostly terrible policy ideas, from all outward appearances, actually being comically inept as presidential candidates?

6. ipaman

Complete non-factors that Oliver waste an entire show on. You can't possibly believe that. Yea right, he got marching orders to make sure Clinton wins. Her campaign won't take any chances even if Trump is blowing it.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Isn't that the job of a presidential campaign staff..taking no chances? cover every base? Especially with the spectre of a Trump administration the only other option.

And it was just one segment.

How can you "think" for yourself when your information sources are garbage, any conclusion you come up with will be garbage. The Trump campaign has been nothing but innuendo and vagueness, implying and dancing around conspiracies with no hard evidence. The worst candidate in US Presidential History including Joe Exotic.

8. SamFisher

I see, so everything is rigged, would love to subscribe to your newsletter and all that - I have the perfect candidate for you in November.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I think John Oliver is quite funny.

10. ipaman

I never said the word rigged, don't put words in my mouth.

My only claim is that HBO is a Clinton Foundation donor which is a fact. Also Podesta emails show that Clinton Foundation was in contact with Oliver for a "project," another fact. Also, these 3rd party candidates are irrelevant so even spending time on them on such a large platform like Oliver's show is ridiculous which is my opinion. If you watch the piece with an open mind you get a feeling of Oliver attempting to convince and steer those considering the 3rd party vote away from doing that. So as I consider everything I can reasonably conclude that it is possible HBO and Oliver did in fact attempt to do this or something similar. I'm not trying to prove it or disprove it, only that it's possible and to think for yourself. Don't let Oliver think for you.

Additionally, I have a huge problem with public figures (who are not candidates themselves) suggesting or judging folks and their vote. Their vote is their right and they can use it anyway they please. Oliver or any other type of public figure like that should stay away from pieces like that. Stick to investigative journalism and other awareness pieces, don't talk to voters and make them feel guilty under the guise of a comedy bit or skit.

11. SamFisher

Can you show me how you have drawn this up on the chalkboard (or do a vizio) - I am interested in your theory. Where was Lena Dunham in all this? How 'bout Peter Dinklage? Larry David? Jim Lampley?

Honest question - are you aware that last week tonight Is not a real newscast, and is instead a comedy program?

12. ipaman

Very naive if you believe the satire genre has no influence.

13. SamFisher

It has lots of influence on my thinking, in particular, when I see people who mistake it for a global conspiracy against their own wacko-ness.

It's a useful sorting function for me.

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I've actually watched every episode of LWT since it started airing. I bet Comedy Central wishes they'd have been able to get him to replace Stewart.

15. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No doubt. Stewart held on a year too long.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oliver actually likes the weekly schedule better. Less insanity and pressure to deliver on a semi nightly basis

17. Buck Turgidson

I'm glad they didn't. Having the once a week show gives him and his staff time to research the topic of the week and also do a long-form segment on a particular subject.

Daily Show should have hired Samantha Bee.