1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Granato: Raptors & Celtics favorites to land James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Dec 20, 2020.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

I can absolutely see Boston making an all in move for Harden, but I don’t think they have the assets to be honest. We probably told them we want Brown and MPJ, but I don’t see a realistic path for them getting MPJ.

There’s definitely something to the ideal that no single team seems to have everything we want, except maybe Denver.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I was simply analyzing the most common BOS/HOU trade proposal out there, which was Brown and Smart for Harden..

Without inc Smart, the package would have to be Brown thies, langford and neismith to make the salarys work. Throw in a few picks and it's certainty would be a tempting proposition for the Celtics.

You are right about Ainge trading for kg and allen. But that was in 2007, more than a decade ago. He's passed on trading for pg, butler, kawhi and ad in the past 4 years.

The one time he made the move for irving, who like harden had 2 years left on his contract and asked for a trade, it resulted in disappointment and irving walking in FA.

Perhaps you are right and Ainge is 100% ready, willing and eager to trade brown and whatever else for Harden... Sure it's possible, I'm just don't see it. YMMV

D-rock likes this.
  3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

That's the point. Ainge fell in love with his picks and young talent and missed out on the opportunity to go get AD, PG and Butler. Now those picks are gone and he's still looking up at other teams in the East.

If Harden goes to Philly then it makes the Celtics path even harder.

I guess it comes down to what Boston is trying to accomplish. If it's winning titles then you have to go get the elite players. If they just want to be respectable then they can stand oat.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I can understand why some boston fans would rather stand pat despite not being true contenders atm. Tatum and brown are 21 and 24. They arent eastern conf favorites by any means, but they've reach the ecf finals and more importantly they are improving. The window for the butlers, curry, durant's, LeBron and harden are going to close long before these two even hit their prime (which usually starts at 27-28). They are likely betting in two years, Tatum will be a top 5-7 player, brown top 15ish and their team a perennial title contender.

The appeal of not waiting and trading for Harden are also apparent. In this scenario, you get a top 5-7 player for brown+junk to immediately contend. Hopefully a team of Harden, tatum, walker can get to the finals or win the title in the next couple years before Harden either leaves or his abilities decline.

Neither proposition has guaranteed outcomes.

With that said, I'd probably rather take the 1st option and others could prefer the second. Reasonable minds can disagree.

Im guessing Ainge, Morey and other gms are debating variations of similar scenarios. Weighing the risks and rewards. A lot could depend on how these teams play in the next weeks and months.

If nothing unforseen occurs and a Harden trade does occur, I'm guessing Rockets fans will be dissatisfied by the haul. I just don't see a package Iike simmons/brown/murray + multiple FRPs and swaps coming.

5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member