1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Granato: Raptors & Celtics favorites to land James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NateNate, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Don't overlook the fact that MPJ is on a ROOKIE CONTRACT and thus is CHEAP.

With #Tilman COST is also an issue. Sure they want to add talent. But I am sure Tilman will want to add CHEAP TALENT.

HP3 and daywalker02 like this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why in the world would you want MPJ over Jaylen Brown?

Boston84, BigM, Aruba77 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Cheap! - #Tilman

HP3 likes this.
  4. oloboloz

oloboloz Member

That's good news! Stone & Silas were dealt a tough hand, and they've handled this extremely well. They're not jumping the gun, and hopefully this stays true with the Fertitta's letting these two do their job. Whether Harden leaves or stays of course we want this done ASAP so we can move forward, but if the Rockets want to win any deal they've got to be patient and leave emotions out of it. IF Harden gets traded I hope several others guys are on the way out as well. Some combination of Tucker, Gordon, and House or possibly all of them.

Can't imagine Denver does this, but it's the only Harden trade I'd make without involving a 3rd team:

DEN: Harden
    HOU: MPJ, Murray, Barton

If, and I mean BIG IF we find a way to make a trade with Denver this is a couple of additional moves I'd like to see:

PHI: Tucker
    HOU: TE ($8.19m Expires 12/2021)

ORL: E. Gordon, House, PHI Pick
    HOU: A. Gordon

HP3, DaDakota, Mkieke and 1 other person like this.
  5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

You wouldn’t.

6. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Do you guys realize most of why you guys even see this guys as high level is because of role?

Brown and Siakam have maximized ROLES, even though they are not even close maximizing the depths of the role.

I also think modern scoring numbers are deceiving Rockets fans. Doing 20 PPG now, is like doing 17 PPG from 2012-2016.

Jaylen Brown is a decent, not good, not great but decent scorer who can’t pass and is well known as a low awareness defender. His defensive abilities start and stop with man defense, but he gives up a lot off ball.

Pascal Siakam is a decent scoring big who can’t consistently do anything without his spin move. That’s why Boston made him look like trash for 6 straight games.

Christian Wood is about to play his biggest role and easily blow both of them out of the water as a player. He’s way deadlier as a scorer than either. Way beyond their efficiency. And just as much defensive potential as Pascal. Realistically more.

If MPJ has the same role as Ingram or Brown, he would look better. WAY more athletic than him, crazy finishing ability, great first step, ruthless at attacking the rim so his free throw rate is high.

Great offensive rebounder. He’s just not a team player so he doesn’t play over Barton.

Basically this 22/6/3 stat lines are hella inflated just like Russ’ was. People actually still believe Russ was at MVP level for a month here in Houston. Not close.

Giannis was doing 35/15/7 on god level efficiency. Freaking Trae Young does 30/9 on good efficiency.

If you can’t pass at a high level and/or score really efficiently in this era you are gonna be really overrated it seems. A LOT of guys can put up Jaylen Brown’s numbers. Less guys but more than you think can replace Siakam. Toronto is not stupid at all. They know this.

Thank god they’ve moved on from freaking Herro/Robinson though.

oloboloz likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Said it a while ago.

Harden is coming to Boston so I can watch him play in person.

Patience likes this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I don’t think the Nuggets at all have him offered up for Harden but I think they should. What are they hoping for with Murray that he becomes something close to James Harden? Projecting better is not impossible but still wildly optimistic. He is significantly younger but Harden is still in his prime and if you swap them out Denver’s contender status absolutely goes up a notch.

As a Rocket fan I’d rather keep Harden then get Murray but obviously one of the better deals on paper if we have to trade him.

HP3 and jiggyfly like this.
  10. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I’m moving there first week in February, so I’m selfishly hoping for the same (assuming Rockets get the right pieces, of course).

11. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

MPJ is a far more talented player. This isn’t even close.

Porter JR has a better body and natural skill set for basketball than Melo, Ingram, Paul George, and probably Tatum.

Only KD and Kawhi have more god given talent, of the swing man play style.

MPJ is just stupid with an ego. But he has one for a reason.

Insane first step for legit 6’10”, insane strength and body for 20. Good jumper with a crazy high release because he’s an incredible leaper.

Great instincts as as offensive rebounder, finisher, and slasher.

Great tools on defense of course like all the names mentioned but that’s up to his brain to actually become great.

But offensively, already a good player. Already more advanced than Brown as an offensive player.

Brown’s natural talent and tendencies is lacking. Not insane BBIQ, awareness, passing, or skillful. He’s worked hard to get to this point but he’s still a decent starter and nothing more.

MPJ is gonna explode onto the scene eventually. Will Barton is just much more complete right now. But Barton is better than Brown too.

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

That trade is not close to good enough. Porter Jr. has not shown enough to warrant being the headliner in a Harden trade, and while I like Norman Powell, Denver can keep Gary Harris on his contract. I want no part of him.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

Nuggets deal is clearly fiction.

14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

It is hard to tell how much of his injury history was due to raw-veganism and whether or not he is still currently eating in that manner. Back problems are not good, but it isn't like he ruptured his achillies, and even now that may not be the career death blow it used to be with Durant/Wall/Nwaba all looking like they were able to come back from that to nearly 90% of previous levels. Embiid and Simmons were similarly slow played and it has paid off for them. I don't think Denver's medical staff being hyperconservative should be held against him. Like I said before, his skillset is a lot more rare than other positions so he is going to be valued higher than players like Herro or Jaylen Brown because it is more plausible to be able to get a player that would give you some level of what those guys do than find a player that can give you what a MPJ maxed out ceiling would be.

The NBA is a league where you need an elite offense and your defense to do just enough. That is why a player like Gobert will never be valued over James Harden or Draymond valued over someone like Dame Lillard. You can cobble together a defense based on athleticism and effort, you aren't cobbling together tough shotmaking.

15. Patience

Seconded. That's the only trade option I can almost live with. I would enjoy getting to watch Harden here in Boston, and I would enjoy watching Jaylen Brown on the Rockets.

raining threes likes this.
  16. Patience

:eek:

"-24 Wins" says it all.

Fantastic trade for the Raptors and Nuggets, though.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"There's a list of probably 10 guys that would have to be included in the Harden trade for Houston to accept, otherwise it's worth riding it out."

Just to be clear from CH44's post. He basically insinuates that MPJ is a Rockets target as a centerpiece for a Harden trade. So that is notable.

HP3 likes this.
  18. Patience

I don't get it. It's like the Run TMC Warriors trading Mitch Richmond for Billy Owens. Sometimes you've gotta stick with the known commodity rather than rolling the dice on flashy potential.

19. Nook

Nook Member

This.

He was at worst the #2 prospect in his class for several seasons.

He is 6'10" with a 7'0" wingspan and a 9'0" standing reach but can handle the ball on the perimeter and is an excellent shooter from the outside.

He missed almost two years with a back injury but is only 21 years old and last year on the Nuggets, as a rookie he really emerged.

He is also still under a rookie contract and is a chief candidate to become a star if given touches and 30 minutes a night.

raining threes, joshuaao, HP3 and 4 others like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That goes without saying.

Deuce likes this.