1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Collins is perfect for this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 12, 2021.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

sorry, ‘but, yeah but...’

2. ilias

ilias Member

Did the playoffs change anyone’s view on Collins? To me he seemed more of a complementary role-type player rather than a potential top-3 guy on a good team. He averaged around 13 and 9. Bogi, Capela, even Gallo were more impactful.

I think that the ability to handle the ball and make plays gets even more important in the playoffs. Non-playmaking forwards/bigs like Collins become a bit peripheral to the action. He can’t impact the game defensively yet like Capela does. Maybe he could shine more on a team where he is the pick n roll big guy.

Wondering whether the playoffs have changed his free agency market and contract size. I’d certainly be less willing to give him $25m p/a.

hakeem94, Amel, CriscoKidd and 4 others like this.
  3. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I actually think the problem was his combination of size/athleticism is great against most teams but if he goes up against a bigger or more athletic guy he seems to struggle. A lot of teams play traditional wings at the 4 and he can feast on those guys while not getting abused on defense. Unfortunately, for him, the freak athletes and versatile bigs tend to be on the playoff teams.

HTXSportsAddict and saleem like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We don't need Collins. He's a good player, but I expected a bit more from him in the playoffs.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

Good player. Bad light when him or his agent ask for the max. Puts him in an awkward light in front of Hawks fans and other GMs. Lack of self awareness of his current worth.

If people rank his team: Trae is 1, Capella 2, then can put Collins as a close 3. One can argue he could still improve above Clint, but until he does that, a 3rd guy on the Hawks should not be asking for the max.

Diva in the making, buyer beware.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

His value just spiked a ton recently for superficial reasons of being in the ECF. Not a buyers market for Collins.

I do like his game but it's not going to be priced correctly.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rockets have clearly lined up all thier older bigger contracts to expire in the same year. Dont see them messing that up for Collins

Rudyc281, CriscoKidd and saleem like this.
  8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Agreed Portis Jr locked him and made him look JV at times.

hakeem94, D-rock and saleem like this.
  9. ballgame

ballgame Member

He actually played pretty well in the playoffs but Collins and KJ Martin are too close in style and play to offer him a large contract this off-season.

I would feel better trading EG or Wall to obtain a center.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I feel like you are missing the perfect opportunity to waive KMJ after signing John Collins, only to have to give up assets about 3 years from now to get KMJ back. We have to honor our traditions, son.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Foolish to offer max contract for him like he wants.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bogdan was more impactful in postseason IMO.

13. amaru

amaru Member

Tilman isn’t paying for this. Move along to cheaper options.

hakeem94 and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And huerter

D-rock likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I like all the Cam guys I've been seeing in this year's playoffs: Payne, Johnson, and Reddish.

16. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

He made multiple statements he thinks he is a max player. No thanks.
    Wood has made that statement too but at least he says he isn't a max player yet and he needs to earn it.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Just have KJMjr watch Collins tape all off-season. That's the space we want him playing in.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Hard pass--wants Max and isn't worth Max. We're not at the buy high-priced vet part of our rebuild (at least 2 years away) and he wouldn't be who I'd want to spend major cash on.

19. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Look for a cheaper more defensive option in Brandon Clarke (yes.. I'm obsessed with getting him on this team).

There's a world where I see the 6ers wanting Gordon, Grizz wanting Thybulle and us wanting BC.

D-rock and MrButtocks like this.
  20. HTXSportsAddict

I think Hunter will rank above him in the future as well. Reddish also has major potential. I definitely don't think he's worth the max but will Atlanta feel pressure to give it to him after the run they just had?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.