1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

John Collins is perfect for this team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 12, 2021.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

John Collins could very well be serviceable but yeah this perfect for this team stuff that's throws around all the time doesn't really do much for me.

harold bingo likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

I could probably convince myself John Collins is worth the gamble considering his age and our timeline; be a nice, young front court with a good floor general in Wall.

Corpusfan and treyk3 like this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Would all 3 non Nets picks be enough? Kurucs + Blazers, Wizards, and Pistons picks.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  4. Convictedstupid

Never expected to see a Sloppy Boys video posted here lol.

treyk3 likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

Honestly I feel like Atlanta could do better than 3 protected picks.

treyk3 likes this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

agreed but He’d be a great get with that.

Basically turns Russ and RoCo into Wall, Wood and Collins

HP3 likes this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

Yea I would praise Stone for that heavily. We basically give up nothing for Collins and have chance to resign him in the off season.

Still looking for “that dude” though if you know what I’m saying. Really hoping MPJ falls through somehow.

treyk3 likes this.
  8. HROZ

HROZ Member

The no defence front court sounds awful

Until Wood gets better defensively, Collins is not an acceptable front court mate.

majicdonjuan likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

chadyang and D-rock like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Collins isn’t a bad defender. He has improved a lot. If you want to criticize him, go at him for his inability to create.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I do.

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  12. ball4life66

ball4life66 Member

Yeah Collins ranked #6 in DRPM and #25 in D Raptor. His D has been really good and the hawks defense has improved since last year.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Collins isn’t a top 10 player and he isn’t going to be. However he is the very rare young all star with upside that is available.

His defense is very underrated. The Hawks are now an average defensive team.

Offensively he can score inside, on cuts, put backs and he is a very good three point shooter. He rebounds and blocks shots as well. He has a 7’0” wingspan with good lateral quickness.

He will never be a franchise player because he can’t put the ball on the floor and create. However he is still a very good player.

He is going to get the max and I would far rather spend it on him instead of Oladipo and whatever other broken down crap Silas is trying to sell the front office on now.

The Rockets can still tank with Collins and Wood because both ideally need a brilliant playmaker to really get them to reach their potential.

Also their defense won’t stand out until there is a long 3 that can switch when needed.

Collins also plays a lot of center and isn’t bad at it.

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Alright Nook, you make a compelling argument haha. I think I can be on board with this. The caveat in this I guess is that Gordon and Wall being on the team willl hinder the tanking process.

Man how amazing would it be if we got Cade Cunningham in the draft and got Collins to sign here in the off season.

Nook, 18pbr and raining threes like this.
  15. conquistador#11

Been wanting this guy or anyone over 6'4 for that matter.

chadyang and raining threes like this.
  16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Dutton is so cool...

17. raining threes

Sign me up

What do you think it would take to get him?

Get him and a wing and I think Wall can become an elite playmaker. Right now Wall is driving and kicking the ball out to Tucker/House etc... kinda hard to look like a playmaker when you're kicking the ball out to a bunch of lower end bench players.

If they trade for Collins do they get his Bird rights?

Nook likes this.
  18. Mr Woods

Mr Woods Member

Why give up assets for him when we can just sign him outright in free agency?

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

RFA

Someone else will trade for him. I’m all for sending out PJ and a protected pick or two for him or the three picks from Detroit. Was and Blazers. It really would change the trajectory. He’s the perfect age to blossom with Wood.

4 years 100 Million for him and 4 years 90 or 3 years 75 million for Oladipo would be a good result to this year.

Basically spending less than Harden + Tucker money on two all star level guys instead of one MVP and a super role player. We would have 4 all star level guys and KPJ locked up to bloom plus a ton of draft capital left over.

20. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Collins will have many suitors. He will require an offseason payday, and we will have to be willing to part with first rounders which are our most valuable commodity (none of our players will be of much interest to the Hawks).

My feeling is that this team is not interested in ponying up for a player. It will be another season or two before this team takes a Collins-level gamble, that's just a guess. In the meantime, we'll be slumming for cheap free agents and hoping to hit on our drafting.