1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joey Dorsey Isn't Very Bright???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by adagio75, Jun 27, 2008.

1. adagio75

adagio75 Member

I found this article from scout hoops expert.com a bit amusing! I just hope we are not the bad end of the stick with this kid? I hope he does more work than simply talk! But the critics are saying he has a big mouth!

Just wondering what you guy's think?

http://collegehoops.scout.com/2/629619.html

Oden Dominates Battle of Big Men

Joey Dorsey isn't very bright. Maybe he should pursue a job in boxing instead of the NBA. Memphis' resident enforcer talked the talk, but he couldn't walk the walk in the Tigers' 92-76 loss to Ohio State.

It was just plain stupid for the sculpted 6-foot-9 man-child to wake the sleeping giant, Greg Oden, prior to the Elite Eight matchup.
    "I think (scouts) really will be watching this game tomorrow night because it's two great big men going up against each other," Joey Dorsey told writers on Friday. "I'm an underrated big man and he's a lot overrated as a big man."

Dorsey finished with the big goose-egg. Zero points.

Underrated? I think not.

However, he did manage to grab four rebounds. This coming from the same guy who said he was going to pull down 20 boards in his head-to-head matchup against Oden. By my math, he was 16 shy of his prediction.

Dorsey did have an opportunity for some measure of redemption with 4:15 left when he went to the line and his team trailing, 74-66. He did exactly what Tigers coach John Calipari told him to do: visualize.

Clank. Clank.

Dorsey misfired on both free throws. I guess practice might have been beneficial — at least in Dorsey's case.

The two missed foul shots came moments after Oden took him to school in the paint with a short left-handed hook shot.

Dorsey is a boxing promoter's dream. His mouth doesn't stop moving. It doesn't take much to get him riled up. He doesn't have any clue when to shut his trap.

Sometimes it works, but in this case there was no need to give the mild-mannered Oden any inspiration. It backfired.

Oden did get into foul trouble, but he was on the floor and was productive when it mattered most. He was critical in the Buckeyes' victory that got them into the Final Four.

Dorsey was virtually invisible.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

wow, that article's only fifteen months old

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

oden got picked number 1 of the overall draft.
    dorsey got picked number 3 ... of the 2nd round.

4. emjohn

emjohn Member

True - he's at least something of a knucklehead. Not the brightest guy on the court, a beast when he's going, but mails in plenty of games as well.

He gets his head right, or at least plays with passion 3 games out of 5, we've got a nice reserve at the 4 bigger than 6-6. But there's a chance he's a Stro Swift.

Again, I have a terrible feeling we screwed up by letting Arthur through our fingers twice.

Evan

5. pariah

pariah Member

That may be true - but I, for one, sure as hell ain't telling HIM that. :D

6. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Member

i also read that he couldn't read. although those reports are from when he was just 2 years old.

7. Precision340

Precision340 Member

so the kids overconfident.. so what? we need that in a player

8. engr chris

engr chris Member

That attitude is what our team needs

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I dont think hes "not smart", he just has the cocky mentality, something I dont mind seeing how everybody calls Tmac and Yao soft

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Great response. :D

11. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

Yeah, why don't you tell him that...

[​IMG]

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

to be honest i do think he is a bit right. Oden probably will turn out to be a great player in his own right but I bet you next year the media will crown him the 2nd best center in the league behind dwight howard (of course slighting Yao again! :mad: )

dorsey needs to work dramatically on his free throw shooting though and fast. but people may never have given him enough credit to all that he brought. he is very much like ben wallace, but i actually think he is a better scorer than wallace.

so big deal he didnt score in that game, he isnt meant to be a scorer and dorsey is giving up half a foot to oden. I remember watching that game he got saddled with some ridiculous foul calls early and didnt play much at all in the game never got a groove going.

i like that cockyness attitude every team needs a bit of cockyness/swagger to them to believe that they cant be beat. we just cant get too overconfident but this team does need that attitude a bit more.

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Member

How does Dorsey mail in games while averaging almost 10 rebounds and 2 blocks in only 25 minutes. The guy that actually mails in games more than anyone is Darrell Arthur with his usual one great performance followed by two lackluster performances. Arthur actually reminds me of Stro.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dorsey's mom named him after a kangaroo. Maybe she already knew something at that point.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Why are people comparing him to Stromile Swift?

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

JVG said this team is a bunch of milk drinkers.

we can use an a$$hole or two.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

we need a vernon, not someone to go up in the stands, but someone to get up in grills, the most exciting thing that happened in the playoffs was when landry got his tooth knocked out and kept playing and didn't flop.

I want some mo of that

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This is basketball, not Pre-Algebra. I'm sure he'll do fine. :D

19. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I want a Dennis Rodman/Pj Brown/Ron Artest type and we just got it.

Matt Harpring can kiss his muscular ass

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not that I don't agree. But that's a blatant insult to boxers.