1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joel Osteen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GreatOne1978, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He provides self help like tony Robbins and it seems like he has helped people no reason to hate.

2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

everyones a salesman

3. Tigerknee

Tigerknee Contributing Member

Real classy making fun of people like this.

4. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

people who follow him must be r****ded because the way he talks to them.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You should become more familiar with sarcasm.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

How it goes down in H-Town

[​IMG]

I admit the 2nd pair was chopped together to be cute. but the first one's the coincidental one

7. jae713

jae713 Member

Clutchfans Dark plz.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

he is probably a nice guy. but wether you or him would want to beileve it, its just plain wrong to make that much money from what he does. the only thing that would make it right would if he donated 80-90% of it to charity.

imagine ghandi selling his books after he talks to everyone. ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I hear ya, but I am of the belief that religion is made up and a business anyway, so it really doesn't bother me.

People have a choice to give him money or not.

That is how I see it.

DD

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i'm not a fan but i can't hate him. he doesn't con people into buying his books. if the perceived intrinsic return value is greater than the $24.99 they pay for the book, then it's a win/win for both parties.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Seriously man?
    You're mad at Osteen for getting rich off his books. WTH? Did Osteen pilfer his Church's coffers??? So he can't have other ventures to make money-like his books??
    I'm pretty sure his books aren't required reading but rather preferred reading for his church.
    Yeah his preaching is pretty light and is more for those just getting to know Christ, but at least he's reaching out and getting those people into the Church. At a certain point, hopefully they realize they need more substantial teaching of the religion and they turn to another pastor that can provide that, but in the meantime, I won't hate on Osteen because he is not doing anything wrong.

Seriously your post bordered on hating for no legitimate reason. So "men of God" aren't allowed or shouldn't write books about the religion and God? Or if they do you advocate that they don't sell the books but rather let people have them for free???? WTF?

You want to have a gripe about a pastor, then go b*tch about Benny Hinn or some other pastor but to hate on Osteen because he puts out a book on God and incorporates it into his sermon, come on.

1 person likes this.
  12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Good post

It you haven't noticed, hating on Christians has been the new cool thing to do for the egghead intelligentsia. It's good that you call them out when they do so without logic or support.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm actually part of the Osteen extended family by marriage. My mother in law was John Osteen's neice. Had a chance to go to his place for Thanksgiving but the wife isn't much on church. Haven't met Joel yet but I hear he's a real nice guy.

Just another guy getting his. I've always thought of him as more of a motivational speaker than a pastor. In my experience pastors usually have political agendas. Joel seems to do just fine telling folks if they love Jesus nothing bad will happen to them.

Better than condemning folks to hell. You catch more flies with honey,

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Yup, I have a friend who used to attend his sermons religiously before she got busy. She comes from a strict Catholic family and says he's more of a motivational speaker. Like pumps you up with positive energy and stuff.

I am offended by your name-calling, sir.;)

15. HombreDeHierro

yeah religion and money shouldn't mix

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

some people really disagree with the believe in jesus and you will have financial success message. i wouldn't call that hating

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

What is an appropriate amount of money/compensation for a preacher to accept?

Does this increase as a percentage of the members of the congregation and/or their contributions?

I'm not endorsing anyone position here, i'm just curious as to what people think.

18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Marteen likes this.
  19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

oh man, whoever mentioned that he blinks 100 times a second isn't lying. i was mesmerized by it i couldn't change the channel.

20. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Homosexuality is a choice, plain and simple. Having a sexual preference towards the same sex, or even an attraction to the same sex doesn't make you a homosexual. It is when one decides to act upon those feelings of lust & fornicate with someone of the same sex that makes them a homosexual.

Therefore one chooses to act upon ones sexual desires, it is a lifestyle choice.