1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joel Osteen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GreatOne1978, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

No college degree. That seems troubling.

2. Poloshirtbandit

That's normal for any faith-based job app. I applied for an IT help desk position for Letourneau and had to write a paragraph on how my faith related to the job and had to sign a similar agreement at the end of it.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

You should see the packet I had to fill out for my job at Daystar. It is very typical like you said, with any faith-based job & for very good reasons. Something like a drunk-driving arrest would be front-page news if it happens to someone who works for a church. Also, it helps to make sure you have people aligned with your faith to help promote your faith.

on the flip side - when someone does have a drug problem - I know here at least, we've suspended them from their job, got them into treatment, and then welcomed them back as soon as they were done. It wasn't until the next time they came up with a dirty drug test (after they were hired back) that they were laid off for good. so there is often help offered and second chances.

4. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Why is that? What makes a college degree so important to a preacher?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't know about a degree necessarily..but some study in the context (historical and otherwise) of the Bible would be something that would be important to me in the role of someone running my church....something beyond just, "i read it, and this is what it says..." I don't know if Osteen did that or not, specifically...just speaking generally.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not only is it normal, it is reasonable too. People who would criticize the organization for that type of app would also be the first ones to point and laugh and call them hypocrites when one of their employees made the news for doing though things.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh come on Max. You are acting like the Bible is important to a Christian Church somehow. Silly you!

Who needs training! If you want it bad enough and pray to God sincerely he will give it to you! Maybe Joel just prayed really hard about knowing the Bible and God gave it to him! Ever think of that tough guy?

8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently Osteen is worth 40 million.
    http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/joel-osteen-net-worth/

I can't stand this guy. This is not about haters or jealous of the guy, its because I know I could never look myself in the mirror and know that I used god to sell a book. I think there is a level of angst for me against this guy since I don't always have money and times are tough and this joker with 40 million? How easy would it be to w**** religion to make cash? Geez!

It takes a special level of sleaze to use god to make money. I put the guy right up there with the lowest end of our society.

I look at money from god as in the same vein as going and collecting for some girl that is dying from cancer. Then stealing out of the collection jar. too easy.

The other thing that sickens me is that everyone goes on about how he doesnt make money from the church.. and only 'from his books' when its pretty much required you buy all his damn books if you attend his church. I hear his wife has a book ,and the sister I think as well. I mean how long before the compaq err lakewood janitor cousins sister comes out with a book?

Inspirational message or not, motivational speech or not, he is crossing that moral line using god and religion to troll for buyers of book. His sermon he has the book all in it. It's like a damn infomercial about buying his book. The marketing is fairly decent .really it's the command control of force feeding book, and god intertwined that sickens me. too easy.

If I cared more and had more time to prove a point, I should create some religious business, and donate all the money to clutchfans. I will only tell you guys the truth, and will do this big social experiment to prove that making money from god is easiest thing ever.

The reality is no need.. the proof is in the pudding. Anyone with one zillionth of a brain that has watched osteen for longer than a second can see right through it. Sadly there are enough people that when god is introduced to the equation, they turn their brains off and fall for it. Its like a weird bug or mental flaw. Almost like a sickness of faith.

As someone pointed out in this thread, he blinks 100 times per second.good ole osteen blinking the pride and soul right out of his eyes while he asks people to buy the book. I wonder what the blink per dollar ratio is?

I think there is something inside him that knows this is all a freaking sick thing to do. He has like this sheepish 'aww shucks yeah here's another book' mentality when he whores god like this. Its weird. He has almost this 'feel sorry for him' schtick. I can't put a finger on it but he has this strange quality. It endears him on some level, and you can see where people would throw him cash. He definitely does it with a sort of humble approach. From that aspect he is a master technician..it's the god part that makes it despicable.

man what a joker
    [​IMG]

Marteen and txppratt like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know why I find this so funny.

Marteen and BabyClutch like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He blinks a hundred times a second? Is that even possible? Possessed for sure!

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

A lot of jealous haters

take the energy you spent hating, and put it to better use

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And this, folks, brings us to the height of hypocrisy.

Marteen and Coach AI like this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You're right. He has every right to use God for riches. Because that's what Jesus was about.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Creating a new church next week.

Come visit me, slap down some 20s, bigtexxx, slap me down a hundy.

15. conquistador#11

what would jesus do? dude threw at fit when bros were just trying to make some silver coins by selling their sheep outside of the temple. I think jesus would be very angry.

however IBTL, the comparison to the joker is awful. The joker would burn that money. come on now.

Marteen likes this.
  16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I have to agree...

Joel is benefiting from the juxtaposition of capitalism and christianity, and he's succeeding with flying colors because he's charming and engaging and he knows his audience. so what he doesn't talk about sin, and opts mostly for "feel-good" sermons and easily digestible anecdotes and metaphors. when I was a christian I hated him, but now I'd rather go to Lakewood over any other church...so many colors. and sometimes the songs are good.

[​IMG]

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Do they still have that blonde singer, a woman with a diamond ring so large I'm surprised she can raise her hand?

Ah, yes. American Christianity. Gotta love it.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I have been a friend of Joel's for about 20 years, met him while playing basketball at the Post Oak YMCA, and his dad was preaching and he was a budding Sportscaster.

Lost touch with him when I moved back to Austin then hooked back up about 7 years ago when I lost my mom and was traveling to Houston as she was fighting cancer.

He is a GREAT guy, not a good guy, a GREAT one.....just the nicest guy you could met, totally genuine.

Also is not bad at basketball, hustles a lot and plays great D, suspect jumper, but good driver and finisher.

I am not religious at all, but I respect Joel for doing what he does, he has built up quite the business there.

And again, just a wonderful guy to hang out with....

DD

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

DD's Kiss of Death.

JK, big fella....;)

20. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

are cameras the factor or is that his normal bpm (blink/minute)?