1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joel Embiid. Would you take him over Wiggins and Parker?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by donatas, Nov 25, 2013.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Oooooookay let's calm down, my friend...

1 person likes this.
  2. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

Highest bust potential. Could be hakeem or could be hasheem.

1 person likes this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Wilbon just called him Hakeem with another dimension. Lol these ESPN hype machines are amazing. what does that even mean?

1 person likes this.
  4. Progs

Progs Member

No way he is Hasheem. So much faster, smoother and legit offensive post game.

1 person likes this.
  5. jvu

jvu Member

Amazing how someone can watch < 2 months of basketball and have him emerge out of nowhere and be called "the next dominant center since Shaq". Oh and have him surpass wiggins and Parker who have been top 1 and 2 in all mock drafts since 2011. I'm not saying Joel Embiid will suck but some of you actually need to layoff the embiid hype train. March madness is where you really find out how good a player can be.

6. Willard Decker

No it's not. If anything, players who surface during the NCAA Tournament are to be avoided because they're benefitting from playing against teams unfamiliar with them. Adam Morrison, Jimmer Fredette, Tyrus Thomas, Glen Davis, Wesley Johnson, Jonny Flynn, Corey Brewer, and Brandon Rush are examples of players who performed well during the postseason and raised their stock, only to struggle mightily in the NBA.

--Captain Decker

1 person likes this.
  7. jvu

jvu Member

Good call. Anyway my point was these guys are so pent up on hype every year they don't realize they are analyzing a guy who've you only seen play for 2 months. If Joel Embiid is something special.. Than make your assumption that he's a stud after his performance in March madness. He's yet to be proven #1 in my eyes and I don't believe he will prove that. As of right now Embiid is a potential bust to me. We will see soon!

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Kansas vs. OK State today at 3. Wiggins and Embiid vs. Smart should be fun.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Embiid was ridiculous today against OK State. Right now, he is without a doubt the #1 prospect for the draft and is improving as the season progresses.

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Dumb ass Kansas coach almost choked the game by keepin the most athletic,clutch wingman in the NCAA on the bench for damn near the last 15 minutes of the game... No way OKSt would've made that comeback if Wiggins had been out there IMO

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Uh what?
    Hasheem had no ability offensively in the post. Still doesn't. Lovely guy, very nice but yeah, even at his worst, Embiid would be better than Hasheem.

12. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

**** Wilbon, this is downright disrepectful to Hakeem.

13. Progs

Progs Member

Worst case, Embiid is Ibaka.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Of course some of the hype goes over the top, but this guys ceiling is as high as you can get. Dude had 8 freaking blocks today against OKst. He's very athletic and really long. He's a great rebounder too.

Worst case he becomes ones of the games best rim protectors, the offensive game already shows extremely good signs, although still very raw.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They are nothing alike other than being shot blockers. Embiid is a post-playing C while Ibaka is a jump-shooting PF.

16. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Embied reminds me of a the richest possible version of deandre Jordan. He does make a lot of defensive mistakes but his length and size makes up for it.

I started of hating him and loving wiggins of all the college kids. Now I'm torn, who I would take.

17. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

So is he a lock for Top 3 Easy?

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Nothing is a lock but the odds would deffently suggest he is

19. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

What I can recollect is that anyone who has been hyped for a long, long time has usually turned out very good to great, and anyone who has been hyped for a very short time has been either good-to-great or a complete bust. The ones I can remember hearing about for a long time:

1. Tim Duncan
    2. Shaquille O'Neal
    3. LeBron James
    4. John Wall
    5. Kevin Durant
    6. Andrew Wiggins

Probably a few others I can't remember.

The ones who came up out of the blue or rather quickly:

1. Michael Olowakandi
    2. Kwame Brown

I know there are several others, I just remember those two shooting up quickly from unknown to #1 picks.

Based on the long-running praise of Wiggins, and strangely as it sounds, due to his pedigree (I think having a dad who's been through the ups and downs of the NBA helps- see Stephen Curry, Kobe Bryant, etc.)- I would absolutely pick Wiggins at #1.

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Oh, you have to chuckle at the hyperbole. My prediction is that Embiid is an average to bust player. Great against college competition, but suspect in the pros. Could be totally wrong, but we'll see.