1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joel Embiid. Would you take him over Wiggins and Parker?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by donatas, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

I would take him over Wiggins, but not Parker.

Parker has a floor of NBA all-star. Embiid can bust out. Wiggins can turn out to become a Cory Brewer/Rudy Gay hybrid.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i have changed my stance on this kid after watching his last couple of game, would take him over smart and randle ATM

3. Progs

Progs Member

Dante Exum I will take number #1 I think he is going to be a stud...

4. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

He would be a lock to go #1 in most drafts.

He'll be very frustrating in the first couple of years, but if he gets it, watch out.

5. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Parker #1 all the way. I subscribed to Duke's Blue Devil Network just to watch him. Frankly, he wasted a lot of time running up and down the court and his teammates don't particularly dish him the ball often enough. The teammates are gunning for recognition too. So can't blame them. Hood & Cook are very capable players. Parker capitalizes every chance he has the ball to score and very unselfish in assist too if he is not open. If he is a ballhog and unselfish, he would be averaging 30+ with his offensive prowess. He is definitely NBA ready physically, mentally and skill-wise. He should be an all star in a year of two. Just hope he can get to a good team and not wasting his talent.

6. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z4sOqmbZdeg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hopefully he stays a couple more years at Kansas.

7. platypus

platypus Member

Usually I would support players staying in college but this kid would wreck shop in the league. Already has an nba body, solid touch, footwork, and is somewhat fluid for a big man.

He's the classic case of someone who would only hurt himself by staying and risking injury.

8. BasketballReasons

I disagree. First of all, he could as easily get injured in the NBA. Secondly, he is still really inconsistent and gets in foul trouble. That would limit his minutes in the NBA, and hinder is development. He started playing at 16 so what he really needs right now is to... Play! And be able to make mistakes and learn the game. He won't be able to do that in the NBA. Unless he's sent down to the D-League.
    I think he should return at least for a year, but with his draft stock this high I doubt his agent lets him.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think you are severely underestimating the guy. He won't be the same player in NBA training camp next year that he is now. For that matter, he won't be the same player by the end of the college basketball season.

What makes you think he won't learn the game and from mistakes in the NBA? That is a normal part of basketball development. The NBA season is 82 games. When you count training camp, regular season and the higher level of competition, a player like Embiid would learn boatloads more against the big boys vs. another year in college. No comparison.

He could also get injured in college, which is another reason he should cash in asap.

10. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

Agree with this. The NBA is not where you go to get reps.

He needs another year or two in college, but he will declare.

11. platypus

platypus Member

This kid looks better than Anthony Davis back when we was at kentucky. He is absolutely ready for the NBA.

With his skills, and the help of a solid NBA franchise developing him, i think he might be the best player from this draft.

I wouldn't be surprised if a sleeper team like the lakers somehow get the 3rd pick and draft him.

12. jvu

jvu Member

It takes usually about 10 years for an elite draft.. '84 '96 '03 '14
    Andrew Wiggins = Lebron 2.0
    Jabari Parker = Melo 2.0
    Dante Exum = Penny Hardaway 2.0
    Joel Embiid = Thabeet 2.0
    Julius Randle = 20/10 guy
    Zack LaVine = future all star
    Rodney Hood = quality starter
    Glenn Robinson III = all star like father like son
    Doug McDermott = a better version of Luke Babbitt
    James young = role player/starter
    Wille Cauley-Stein = JaVale McGee ..might be relatives..
    Aaron Gordon = baby Blake Griffin dunk master
    Dario Saric = All star after 5+ years
    Kyle Anderson = starter in a few years
    CJ Fair = " "

2nd round Sleeper pick = Mitch McGary -- kid can bang and hits 20 ft jumpers

Everyone else.. Not that special.

Check back in a few years I will be right.

13. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Embiid will be light years better than Thabeet.

I'd take him at 2 just based on fluidness. Before the season I'd say Wiggins at 1 would be a no brainer but I have him at 3 now.

1. Parker
    2. Embiid
    3. Wiggins
    4. Smart
    5. Randle
    6. Exum
    7. Gordon

Crazy that all these guys would be guaranteed to go number 1 in this past draft.

14. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

He 'might' have a better package than Anthony Davis, but he's not anywhere near as ready as Davis was. Hence it would be better for him to stay in colleage for another year or two.

But I agree that Embiid has crazy upside.

If he comes out, I think he'll be quite foul and turnover prone, and these two issues will keep him off the court preventing him from getting as many minutes to get better as he needs.

But it's all academic. He's coming out anyway.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You have no idea how fast/slow Embiid will develop the rest of the season, how ready he will be for the NBA next November or how many minutes he will get on the bottom feeder that drafts him. Something isn't true just because you repeat it 2 or 3 times.

16. jvu

jvu Member

The next Dario millimic, Greg oden, Michael olomokandi, thabeet, now Joel embiid

Welcome to the world of overhyped big men. May your rookie contract be the smallest contract youll ever receive. Good luck young fella!

17. Willard Decker

^If you're going to compare Embiid to below-average centers of the past, at least trouble yourself to spell their names correctly.

--Captain Decker

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

14 points, 10 boards, 3 blocks against Toledo...

[youtube]B4iSThcd_A8[/youtube]

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Yep, this is a guy who looks like he will sit on some lottery team's bench next year and get limited minutes as a rookie.

He is only 1/3 the way through his freshman season. Surely he needs 2 more years before entering the NBA.

:rolleyes:

20. BasketballReasons

Should watch the games, not just the highlights ;)