1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joel Embiid. Would you take him over Wiggins and Parker?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by donatas, Nov 25, 2013.

1. smr6

smr6 Member

I'm not sure about his shooting, but looking at that vid above I was watching his free throw form. He only shoots 50% from the line (9-18) but the form looked good and the follow through was smooth so I think there may be potential there the more he works on it.

He still has more work to do to even be considered the top C prospect in this draft right now, but he definitely has the ability to become that by the end of the season if he works hard with the coaches there who have really helped shape some big mens game's over the years.

I'm still waiting to see more, but I do like what I see so far. Just want to see him do it consistently now.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I haven't seen much of him, but just from that vid it's pretty clear he isn't Thabeet. Very fluid and looks like he has major upside.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Definitely a good draft but is it 1984 good (Olajuwon, Jordan, Barkley, Stockton, Alvin Robertson, Otis Thorpe, Kevin Willis, Sam Perkins) ?

4. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Agree. Really, how many 'Dreams' showed up after the real Dream? None. Most bigs drafted on potential were busts. They mostly couldn't shoot and didn't develop their shooting in NBA. Most bigs after him rely on power and athleticism but lacking the fine post moves as well as great shooting touch of the one and only Dream. Yao has size and good shooting but didn't have all the fancy post moves of the Dream.

Take him over Wiggins, but definitely not Parker nor Randle. Parker is above the rest in offensive skills and he will be an all star for sure. Randle can play power ball as well as dominating in the post for high scores. He is going to be a Karl Malone type of player. But Embiid can be another Joe Barry Carrol or worse, Thabeet.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Take him over Wiggins?

Wiggins is the best prospect of the entire draft, dude.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wiggins is becoming underrated by a lot of casual fans right now. Said it before and I'll say it again...I was shocked he went to Kansas because he'll never be able to put up the numbers of Parker or Randle because Bill Self's system does not rely on wing players. Wiggins is far better on defense than Randle and Parker as well. People's expectations need to be tempered. Wiggins is a stud.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree. It's not like he's been any slouch anyway, 17 and 6 on 59% shooting is strong in under 30mpg

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

That's how you know Wiggins is going to be insane. People think THOSE are disappointing numbers (for some reason), despite the fact he plays in a non-wing oriented system. Throw in the lockdown defense he's already playing, and you know he's legit.

Wiggins, Parker, and Randle are all can't-miss studs. Good year to tank.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Looks like Andrew Bynum/Roy Hibbert.

10. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Do you watch basketball?

11. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

After watching the Kansas vs Duke game, Wiggins looked overhyped. Yes he is super athletic but his offensive skill set is raw compared to Parker. Most who have saw the game came away with Parker over Wiggins. Parker can be a star in NBA right away with offensive skill in KD or Melo's level. Wiggins with less ability in shooting as well as handle plus less physical build will have to deal with similarly athletic guys in NBA. Over there, unless you have unstoppable go to moves or shooting, your athleticism can be stopped. Just look at Thomas Robinson, drafted #5 year year before last. He is super athletic but he is going no where as of now. Wiggings will have to develop and hopefully his potential can materialize soon and that what everybody is counting on him.

12. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

i havent been in love with a college player like Parker since Durant.... both were seen as number 2 prospects behind once in a decade talents.... but to me Wiggins can end up like Paul George/ Scottie Pippen, or he can end up like Gerald Green

13. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

I agree. I have not seen the kind of fire power from a college freshman since KD. Parker shoots very well from all areas of the court including 3 pt shots. What makes him near impossible to defend is that when he shoots, including at the 3 pt line, he jumps so high to fire off the shot with his imposing 6'8 near 240 frame, that it is very hard for a smaller guy with less physicality to block the shot. He will command double team in the NBA as he can shoot a high % at one on one. With that kind of shooting ability, what is frightening is that he can dribble and penetrate with his frame and is a good passer when he is doubled. So when you guard him close to stop his jump shot, he can fake the shot and blow by his defender and pass to open guys or just lay up. This makes him a game changer in any team when he is teamed up with another star to create havoc for the defense of opposing teams.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Just because he's 7'0", black, and wears a shooting sleeve doesn't mean he's Roy Hibbert lol.

15. StevieCrossover

Hakeem with the #1 pick or jordan?

16. Tuan

Tuan Member

He is more Bynum than Dream.

Dream was much more explosive and his body movement was also much more fluid. The Dream comparison is way off.

Looks to be a more explosive Bynum....

17. CertifiedTroll

Would take Jabari, Randle, Smart, Exum, Wiggins, Embiid. In that order.

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Scary prospect: Joel Embiid

Out of Cameroon.

7 foot Center for Kansas.

Started playing basketball in 2011. Played volleyball before that.

He isn't really a secret, but i'll think he'll end up in the top 5 of the draft.

This guy is so smooth, already has a sick post-game (contrary to Thabeet who was just a stiff guy).

Great work ethic.

Dare I say reminds me of Hakeem? I also love his court-vision, great passer in the post. Runs like a gazelle.

IMO he has potential to be one of the best two-way centers in the league.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Out of Cameroon.

7 foot Center for Kansas.

Started playing basketball in 2011. Played volleyball before that.

He isn't really a secret, but i'll think he'll end up in the top 5 of the draft.

This guy is so smooth, already has a sick post-game (contrary to Thabeet who was just a stiff guy).

Great work ethic.

Dare I say reminds me of Hakeem? I also love his court-vision, great passer in the post. Runs like a gazelle.

IMO he has potential to be one of the best two-way centers in the league.

20. Grapenutz

Grapenutz Rookie