1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Rogan vs Carlos Mencia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Feb 14, 2007.

1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Ned's the one with the comedy central gig. that's what brings in the money. He can thank Chappelle for going awol. otherwise, NED would still be peddling around the local clubs.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

There are many posters here who are a lot funnier than Mencia. Poor guy just aint funny.

I kind of like Lee on tv but have never seen his stand up. You can tell he just wants it all to go away. I beleive him that he doesn't have any ill will against anyone, but not that he hasn't seen Mencia steal jokes. He seems pretty cool.

Rogan is a spaz. He can be funny but he is a little too frat guy.

3. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Well Ned can ban and kick Joe Rogan from everywhere all he wants. The fact of the matter is, ALOT of people saw this, and alot of those people were probably on the fence about "Carlos Mencia" and now they know which side to be on. The side that knows Carlos is stupid and not funny, and not even worth paying for or watching. I think he is doing that to hang on to whatever he has left, I am pretty sure he lost quite a few fans after this, it's going to catch up to him. Hes gonna be calling up Joe Rogan one day to put together a has-been celebrity Fear Factor show.

4. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

True, but in those local clubs he was earning 40-50 thousand dollars a weekend.

30 dollars a ticket
    300 seats (sold out)
    7 shows

56,000 @ 80% of the door = 44,800 And that doesn't include his merchandise sales in which I would estimate at +/- 2500. a show.

Most headlining comics average a little more than 10% of that in a month(!), that's why comics hate Carlos. Although an amazing performer, he steals the soul of average performers by taking their best stuff and using it at his disposal which hurts their money making potiental by limiting what they can do on stage...THEIR OWN MATERIAL!!!

Writing a joke is really hard, good comics average 15 new minutes a year, great ones (Regan, Gaffigan, Chapelle etc.) will do about 30. However, the more famous you become, the funnier you are because your fan base understands who you are on stage and you don't have to prove yourself over and over again.

Carlos is in a tight spot right now, but at the end of the day Hollywood cares nothing about artistic integrity so I think he'll be just fine.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Bobby Lee looks scared out of his mind.

6. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I've been wondering who this guy is. Been seeing his name in numerous posts in this thread. I'm assuming another comedian, I havent seen any of his stuff. Is he really good?

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I hate Mencia's show for its lowbrow racist humor just like I don't like Jay Leno's monologues for its lowbrow sex jokes. I hate admitting that I can predict their punchlines before their delivery, but it helps prove my point to friends who still like their material.

He's the dude on MadTV that plays all the Asian roles.

8. cdastros

cdastros Member

This also shows how hypocritical Hollywood is when it comes to stealing. Every time I pay for a movie, I have to sit through their commercial telling me not to steal their movie yet Carlos Mencia steals other Comics jokes and they turn a blind eye.

9. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

Welcome to Showbiz. Stealing material happens in all forms of entertainment. From music, movies, stand-up comedy and even professional wrestling. Thing is, if a "big name" guy is doing the stealing, exposing him will do little effect on his mainstream image.

For example, look at 50 cent. He's been exposed for stealing the name '50 Cent' and the 50 cent image itself (50 Cent was a real guy who use to go to shows and rob rappers. "Fiddy" made a song about robbing rappers). He's even been exposed of being a snitch. But, the dude still goes out and sells millions of records.

Now, I was a fan of Carlos Mencia way before the "Mind of Mencia". My brother showed me one of his stand-ups and I thought It was hilarious. Stolen or not, it had me rolling. Although, I am disappointed after seeing the video made by Rogan. Personally, after doing some "research", I've found out that the comedy game is just a cruel, ruthless and mean as the rap game. The Top guys do whatever to stay on top, the lower level guys TRY to do whatever to take that top spot.

So far, these seem to be the joke thieves:

Robin Williams
    Carlos Mencia
    Dane Cook

It's funny how all three of them are pretty huge in terms of popularity. But what separates them from the other comics is their delivery. Like 'em or not, they all each have their own unique stand-up delivery and thats why they are where they are, and guys like Joe Rogan are not. Props to Joe for speaking out whe nobody else did but in terms of stand-up, Mencia > Rogan. I seen Rogan do stand-up, lets just say he should stick to yelling during UFC fights. Maybe Rogan should be the one stealing material? :D

And yes, I'm still a fan of Mencia. I'm not going to let ONE video change my view on someone like this video did to other people. Did I lose some respect for him? Yes. After the video, folks are hating Carlos as a person, not just for his stand-up routine. People who have met Carlos said he is a very cool and down to earth person. It's not like he goes around acting like a jerk and disrespecting his fans with racist jokes. Now it may not be the same with his comic peers, but that's something only those comics can speak on.

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Dude, I thought Rogan was funny in News Radio. But then he started doing UFC and Fear Factor and I thought he was lame. Especially his stint on the Man Show. But then I heard his stand-up and I thought it was awesome. Had me rolling. That's when I became a real Rogan fan. Funny that you thought it sucked. I like him a lot.

11. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

Haha, this is weird. I'm watching the retaliation video Joe made towards Mencia's comments on the radio, and found some interesting stuff. During the part where he's talking **** about Carlos while they film him on stage, listen to Mencia's joke in the background. The bit where he says "Everybody's a *****, not everybody's a nigge*" is very similar to Paul Mooney's comments in "Ask a Black dude" where he says "Everybody wanna be a *****, but don't nobody wanna be a *****." :eek:

Damn Carlos, you need to some how respond to all this and redeem yourself. Also, when Joe is calling out Mencia's real name in that same part of the video, he says Ned Hortenz but in the later blogs, he says Ned Holness. :confused:

12. Another Brother

What people? These people are few and far between.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Mencia should accuse the Texans of being racist since they don't have any latino players.

Then we'll really see who's stealing bits.

:p

14. astrorockette

astrorockette Member

That is so mean y'all. :D

Not always. I love you. :D See, that's not arguing!!!

15. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Anyone questioning why Joe Rogan does UFC should question why they are actually watching UFC. Or Fear Factor. I'll sound like a dick, for the 12,000th time on this BBS, but you have to pick and choose: I haven't seen anything new from Joe Rogan (save for the Chapelle skit) since 1999 until earlier this week, I'm and I'm quite happy with that bit o fun.

EDIT: Again, I don't meant to be elitist or my usual a-hole self about this (I look up Hall and Oates videos on You Tube). You just have to pick your spots with these limited talents. I may not be a top-25 NBA scribe, but I can pick apart Tim Legler's faults with the best of them. Pick and choose: love me for my bit about Tim's Bristol "tan" and wet hair, hate me for my riff about the Gay-Stro/Battier trade.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well, this certainly gives you carte blanche to say whatever the hell you want.

17. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Who are these people?

[​IMG]

18. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Por-ta-ble Ra-di-oooooo!!

19. Another Brother

What discussion did we have in which I took up for Carlos? That was your implication in an earlier post right?

:confused: Why would I defend Carlos????

#99 Another Brother, Feb 19, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yea, i'm wondering about this "face off" myself.