1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Rogan vs Carlos Mencia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Feb 14, 2007.

1. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Funny how mencia mentioned race not being a part of Ari Shaffir forte..lol

anyone seen the amazing racist

haha

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

To me it really depends on how old the material is. The Amazing Jonathan has pretty much been doing the same routine for the past 15 years. I remember seeng him on Comic Strip Live in the early '90's and he's doing the same stuff now as he was then. The same goes for the ventriliquist with the puppet Peanut. He's been doing the same routine for a LONG ass time too. I saw both of those guys on Comedy Central and was amazed at how little new material they had.

I guess that's why it pays to be a "current event" or political comic, because you always have fresh material at your fingertips.

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Dang I've been travelling and just heard of this. Gotta go now, but I use to do dates with Carlos before he became famous and watching him on stage is sometimes like the old K-tel adds with the compilation Albums. We would sit in the back of the room and count how many jokes he did that weren't his. I don't like him because we use to have the same manager and Carlos fired him as soon as he got the Comedy Central deal, this is the same manager that paid his bills and rescued him from door man at the Comedy Store taking him to pre Mind of Mencia

I don't know what KellyDwyer is talking about, please refresh me...

I gotta be on stage (doing MY material) in a few minutes but trust me I have much more to say...

#63 Another Brother, Feb 15, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Agree here. Rogan gets a free pass for being involved with the, for my money the best comedy of the 90s. Mencia is just a toolbag and although he might have some clever skits or jokes, It reaks of setup and stealing.

Louis CK is hysterical, I like when he appears on the Opie and Anthony show (which is probably the best morning radio show ever)

5. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I'm gonna tell you something that you dont know about me, Joe Rogan... I smoke rocks!

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

More fuel for the fire. A small comparison of jokes from their respectively released comedy CD's. Louis CK (2000) vs Dane Cook (2005?). And to tie it back to Clutchfans, the Louis CK CD was recorded in Houston.

Blog writeup

Direct mp3 comparison

After doing some googling I didn't realize how bad Mencia's and Dane Cook's reputations are in comedy circles. I actually did find Cook funny in his earlier stuff, but now you can tell on stage he's overconfident that anything that comes out of his mouth is funny now. But hearing all the stuff he's ripped from other people has totally ruined it for me. Someone should just start a site of famous comedians who rip stuff. Kind of like a blacklist of comedians for other comedians to avoid.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Skimmed this thread. Is it true Bobby Lee posted a response on You Tube saying Mencia is his friend and has never stolen a joke from him? Lee also said Mencia used the border joke before Ari. Apparently it was taken down after people left nasty comments equating Bobby Lee to a vagina.

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

kinda off topic, but did Fear Factor get canceled?

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

This is in response to the feud with your fiancee in the vasectomy thread...

http://astrorocket.justgotowned.com/

:)

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

:p

All she does on this board is argue with me. I just quit.

13. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

it's ironic that we have the 'Vasectomy' thread in the Hangout right now that the OP was, pretty much, trying to pass off as his..

14. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

lol. Our very own Ned Holness...

15. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I'm still waiting for AB's response. You said you were coming back dude!

16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Rogan got dropped by his agent.

joerogan.net

My agent dropped me because of the Carlos™

Posted by Joe Rogan on Thu, Feb 15th, 2007 06:14pm [archives]

This is starting to get hysterical.
    As the fearful little animals scamper to a safe, dry spot on the sinking ship of lies, characters are exposed and karma is radiantly beautiful.

My agent from the Gersh agency, who is the same guy that represents Carlos, spoke to me on the phone today. He told me that he was being "put in the middle of this thing, and forced to make a choice." He said that Carlos wanted to get on the phone with me and end this once and for all, and get this... wanted an apology.
    If I didn't do this, he wanted the Gersh agency to either drop me, or he would leave them.

I told them that was ****ing hilarious, and said that it's been fun working with them. The fact that they would even consider asking me to do something like that meant I was going to leave them anyway, but the sheer stereotypical "hollywood" nature of conversation actually ****ing shocked me.
    It was like a scene in a movie. Not even a current movie. More like that Kevin Bacon movie "The Big Picture" that was about the evils of Hollywood from the early 90's.

I hung up the phone and laughed out loud. A real, hard, pleasure filled laugh.

Now can you IMAGINE if I was a young, struggling comic and all this **** went down? THAT is the really ugly part of it.
    Now you know why people don't speak up about this ****.

Hollywood eats it's young.
    At least the Gersh agency does.

What a fascinating, and intriguing life this is turning out to be.

17. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

This is the best middle school drama ever! Here is a video that Bobby Lee made. I guess he is trying to defend Carlos Mencia.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/MjI3NjQ5"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/MjI3NjQ5" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Damn, Rogan's agent drops him and Bobby Lee bails out on the story. What the hell kind of power does Mencia have? Is he mob connected?

19. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Don't forget Rogan is banned from the Comedy Store now.

This is like a star baseball player calling out another star baseball player for steroid use when the majority of stars are using on it.

20. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

"carlos mencia" is a ****ing *******.