1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Rogan vs Carlos Mencia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Robert Schimmel, perhaps?

NSFW (language) : link1 link2

He's my favorite comedian.

2. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I liked Mencia when the show first came out...I preface this by saying I never seen or heard him before, so it was kinda funny...

However, after the first season, it got old...I will say I liked the bud light commercial...

JoeRogan, uh...I liked it better when he didn't talk much in that show with Phil Hartman...BUt, got to give props for speaking out...Isn't stealing material common?

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I used to love Mencia when he'd come to the Improv before he hit it big, this was probably about 4 or 5 years ago when he was still on the circuit.

Once he hit it big and I started hearing all this crap about stealing jokes, it really turned me off to him, can't watch his show anymore and have no intrest in seeing him live.

Rogan is a jack ass regardless but props for calling him on it and having some sort of proof to back it up.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

It might be but that doesn't make it OK. It's essentially plagirism. To profit off of something that somebody else wrote while passing it off as your own is complete BS. You can't get away with it in any other performing or cultural art form so why should comedy be any different? Because you can't copyright routines like music or literature?

6. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I don't like Carlos Mencia. His dee dee dee line is the most annoying thing I've ever heard from a comedian. I don't really like his show either because most of his jokes are easy. I have thought of most of his joke at some point before I heard him, and I'm sure some of you guys have too.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Wow. I actually watched the video this time. Awesome. I'm not a Joe Rogan fan. I think he'd be a bit of a tool in person. But I've got to appreciate calling Mencia out like that in public. And Mencia didn't really say much as far as denying it. I would've said 'It's all original' 100x. Mencia just kept trying to turn it around on Joe saying he was obsessed w/ him. Rogan does get a pass for being on one of my favorite shows though, NewsRadio.

Pretty funny writeup on the situation by Rogan too. If it's all really true (probably close to the truth after seeing other comedians testify on the video about Menstealia) that's pretty sad. Funniest part was Bobby Lee's deadpan 'It was nice seeing you guys.'

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I propose a fight to the death. The winner wins a bullet to the head. Deal?

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, that was the most damning part. All Ned could do to defend his (fake) name was call Rogan names. He really never totally denied it. And the parts he said weren't true, the video used footage to prove it was true.

I don't say this much, but that was total OWNAGE. Or PWNAGE...what ever the correct internet term is.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

You know what, it doesn't matter what we think. It matters what real comedians think. We may think Rogan is a douchebag, but the man could be well respected as a comic among comics. I don't know. We may think Mencia is funny, but fellow comics may have no respect for him. I put more weight into what fellow comedians think than the average joe who only sees Mencia on TV.

11. davidwu

davidwu Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. I don't like Mencia either, I am not that hysterical kind of guy. However, that joke must have been used all over the places.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i know a lot of jokes are rehashed, but it's hard to dismiss all those comics, including George Lopez, calling him a thief when Rogan asked. even his friend Bobby lee basically insinuated that Mencia copies everyone.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I hate Mencia. I cannot watch his show at all, and I cant stand all his racial jokes, they're just stupid. I dont know what Rogan has been up to lately, but he was on one of my all-time favorite shows, Newsradio

14. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Charlie Murphy PWNTZ all these comics.

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

god Mencia got abused, he just doesn't know when to walk away.

16. BigTex

BigTex Member

mind of mencia is the most annoying show and i hate that some people i know think dee dee dee is so funny

he cant give a good argument when he is confronted so you know hes lying

And also joe rogan would kill mencia in a fight

17. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

I really don't find Mencia funny at all. Like the other poster said, all his jokes are easy. Stealing or not, nothing his were original. And a lot of his jokes are unnecessarily offensive, I personally look down to people who diss all races and ethnicities to get some cheap laugh.

18. twoface723

twoface723 Member

Mencia sucks.Im glad Rogan did that...

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

W00T! Newsradio FTW. BTW, any Louis CK fans? One of my favorites.

20. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

meh, I am a fan of Mencia, hell i went to his punisher tour show here last Sep. The funny part, he wasn't the best in his own show. I at least got to discover JoKoy, funny mofo there, i even got to see him again in December at the Improv.

anyways, if he steals material, so be it, im not suprised, i would imagine its hard as hell to come up with original material, thats the talent of being a comedian. I wouldn't doubt that he still comes up with his own material, its just unfortunate he is the one thats getting the credit.

Joe Rogan is awesome in my book, ever since Newsradio and had that whole argument with someone on MySpace last year, that was just freaking awesome.

EDIT: dammit, the vid was taken off, anybody on here was lucky enough to d/l? i want to put that on my iRiver :)

#40 Dave2000, Feb 15, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007