1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Johnson Buyout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mockster, Jan 10, 2016.

1. mockster

mockster Member

http://youtu.be/7Vi2d6Abe1E

Also not to mention Johnson has had some really clutch shots in his career. Also he's good at 1 on 1 scoring and can create his own shots. Personally I think that's an issue for rockets. Not many players can create there own shots.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

I forget, did he play some PG back when the Hawks had Diaw there with their all 6-9 lineups?

3. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I think we are one of the lease attractive playoff teams available

4. mockster

mockster Member

Joe Johnson has played PG before, also johnson is 6"7 and could slot in at sf.

Sure there other playoff teams that look better but I think everyone knows Rockeys are still good. I'm sure we're gonna get out of this slump plus some trades are coming our way to change up the roster a bit. Plus I think Johnson is gonna look towards a place he can fit in and play some solid minutes to.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Massive upgrade on offense and defense to Trevor Ariza

6. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I could see OKC getting him. He won't consider us.

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Can't imagine Johnson and Harden working well together at all.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Whats the point of this thread though? JJ will go to a contender why would he go to a team that isnt even 0.500? Its like those would u trade cousins for dwight threads, look at it from the other guys perspective than just Houston's. Lots of teams will want him Cavs, Clipps, OKC, Spurs even GSW might reach out to him just so he wont sign with other teams. Why the F would he sign with houston if cavs okc or sours ask him to join them?

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If bought out he'll want to recoup his 'shortfall'. Someone will have the ready amount, and predetermined.

10. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Sure why not. His shooting numbers alreadmaty fit in with ours. Hes a perfect match.

11. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

he must be hungry for a winning team

12. mockster

mockster Member

Like I said minutes and fit. Also Rockets are better then they are playing. We were just in the WCF.

Were a playoff contender so why wouldn't he consider us?. Not saying we're going to sign him but I'm not seeing why he wouldn't consider us. We don't have solid bench scorers and he may like the fit.

It's like saying why didn't howard choose the heat, cavs, Spurs and etc.

13. rockets13champs

If we happen to trade thornton and brewer YES! This dude is clutch

14. Asian Sensation

If you're Joe Johnson would you want to play for the current Rockets? **** no.

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

We would probably be able to give him the most playing of the teams would potentially go after him. Could be a huge incentive for him.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

it depends on how much game he thinks has left in himself. if he feels he is still a starter he'd choose role/minutes with an eye on next contract over sitting on a bench watching other people contend.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Would love Joe Johnson on this team. But think Cavs would be all over him if available.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don't have any interest in Joe Johnson the player necessarily, but Joe Johnson the contract represents an interesting notion for Houston-

-Johnson & Hollis Jefferson for Lawson, Brewer, McDaniels, & a second round pick/Euro player rights.

Works in the trade machine.

It gets the Rockets out from 3 contracts that absorb cap space next year, and get's them an interesting young prospect in Hollis Jefferson.

The Nets two solid players for one, and they get McDaniels & a pick/or a Euro stash like Llull or Gentile.

This puts the Rockets in great position to rebuild next Summer through free agency, and it doesn't really hurt them in the short term. Actually it might help them as bringing Joe Johnson off the bench in a scoring role actually suits him better at this stage.

19. OpenLayup-Why3?

Trade Haren for Johnson and boy out Johnson. Start Thronton.

20. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I don't think people realize how bad Joe Johnson has been this season (except both of his games against Houston). For a 'scorer', he's scoring 11.4ppg while shooting 36.9% from the field and 32.5% from threes. On a per 36min basis, Brewer is scoring more points than Joe Johnson is. Johnson's effective field goal is 42.8% compared to Brewer's 41.5%. Unless you think JJ will have a considerable a 'post-Nets' resurgence, he's not worth cutting/trading away any of our players.

#40 jchu14, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016