1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Joe Biden's America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, May 12, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Probably because he made it a number one campaign issue. That's how right wing political bigotry works. You make things like immigrants the number one issue that is harming the country rather than things like lack of affordable healthcare access or rampant diverging paths for different wealth classes.

Right wing political bigotry also uses terms like "invasion" or "invasion force" to describe migrant crossings. They also will hype up anecdotal evidence of violent crimes from migrants when overall migrant data shows they are less violent than gen pop.

It's often how these issues are framed.

2. fchowd0311

This same logic I referred to in my above post applies to other topics also. For example most of the legislation and executive orders pushed by people like DeSantis when it comes to culture wars bs like the Disney issue or "don't say gay bill" are rather ineffective and trivial with not much effect on actual policy but the point is for those politicians to make those issues a top priority to spam it in the right wing news bubble. They want to do things like spam the onesies and twoises examples of transgender athletes into some systemic ordeal that is destroying the country. The bills they pass on the subject matter have hardly any teeth but the point is to just get these topics at the top of the right wing bubble que.

So the point of Trump's wall rhetoric or the transgender rhetoric or the CRT rhetoric isn't so these politicians can pass meaningful and effective laws that address those perceived issues in a sincere manner. The point is to make these subject matters the top concern for the general conservative population. It's better for the capitalist class for the general population to concentrate on these type of cultural war issues rather than issues like labor unions, healthcare, CEO pay, corporate tax rates etc.

#2302 fchowd0311, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
  3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards … So what is wrong with waiting until a child is nine years old I really don’t think this is unreasonable there is no reason any child younger than nine years old needs to go over the mountain

4. ROXRAN

Invade is to
    enter (a place, situation, or sphere of activity) in large numbers, especially with intrusive effect.

that is how it’s defined so I would say it’s framed properly-

5. fchowd0311

Invasion usually implies military force rather than migrants trying to find a low wage job.

And it's pretty obvious the use of the term "invasion" is to paint those migrants as a violent "evil" force. It's a way to pander to the most baseline tribalistic instincts of the voting base.

6. ROXRAN

7. ROXRAN

However taking it from a dictionary point of view “invade” also covers what I discussed so I don’t think it’s an inaccuracy at all. I mean we all have word choices but I think this word choice is accurate

8. fchowd0311

Just understand when a Trump supporter brags about GDP growth under his administration, a large part of that growth is fueled by migrant cheap labor. Do you want the ability to brag about GDP growth for your future president you want to cheerlead for? Because you can't and be logically consistent here. Do you want gdp growth or not?

9. ROXRAN

In addition how about going about it the right way legal entry. Even the current administration is done with the open border nonsense - There should be a process and that’s how I feel about it

10. fchowd0311

That's cool. I'm just explaining to you why GOP politicians will use the term rather than what you perceive of the term.

11. fchowd0311

Open borders was never a policy by the Democrat party.

12. ROXRAN

I don’t care about all that what I care about is people coming into this country legally and whatever happens afterwards whether it helps a President or not it’s not my concerns after the fact

13. ROXRAN

So it’s true you agree with migration being done legally and not crossing over illegally ?fantastic

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. cdastros

cdastros Member

15. fchowd0311

I can agree with wanting a orderly system for migration and still have empathy for illegal migrants looking for min wage job and not villify them as a whole as if they are a violent invasion force.

16. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

The problem is ambiguity. The key phrase is "or in a manner that is not age-appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards". This law doesn't just cover through grade 3, it's any age that the state standard deems inappropriate, a state standard that doesn't exist yet.

So if Florida Department of Education decides that homosexuality is inappropriate to discuss any age less than 18, then it would be illegal to discuss it in a high school. Maybe transgenerdism is inappropriate to discuss at any age.

Even though this law became active on July 1st. Florida DofE has yet to publish any guidelines on what's age appropriate. So it in effect has shutdown all conversation about sexual orientation or gender identity at schools.

jiggyfly and ROXRAN like this.
  17. ROXRAN

By empathy what actions do you propose. To allow entry regardless of entry laws ?

18. ROXRAN

If that’s accurate that is a valid criticism and I completely understand ..that’s the first time I’ve heard it framed this way as a rebuttal. If it was a clear cut let’s hold off until they’re at least nine years old then I don’t see how anyone could be against that but if it extends to ambiguity on terminology that can extend up until 17 then yeah I can understand

jiggyfly and jchu14 like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hard to account for terms like "invasive species" with such a narrow definition of invasion

20. fchowd0311

I mean this exemplifies my point. So when the GOP uses that type of framing they are either dehumanizing them or painting them as something akin to a military force invading.

#2320 fchowd0311, Aug 1, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    FranchiseBlade and subtomic like this.