1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joe Biden's America

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SuraGotMadHops, May 12, 2021.

1. SuraGotMadHops

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

maybe because the D.C. mayor is starting to make noise

D.C. mayor asks for National Guard to help with Texas, Arizona migrants

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/07/28/migrants-dc-texas-national-guard-bowser/? va._1

excerpt:

D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) said Thursday she is seeking to have 150 National Guard troops deployed to the city to help with the thousands of migrants arriving on chartered buses from Texas and Arizona, a politics-driven influx from those border states that has overwhelmed local aid groups.

“We need space, and we need the federal government to be involved,” Bowser said at the end of a news conference on a separate topic, calling the busloads of migrants seeking U.S. asylum who have been arriving at Union Station “a humanitarian crisis that we expect to escalate.”

Several aid groups assisting the migrants denounced the request as seeking to “militarize” a problem that should provoke a more humanitarian response in a region increasingly made up of immigrants.

Bowser, who also has been facing calls by some members of the D.C. Council to do more to assist the migrants, formally made the request to the Defense Department last week.

A spokesman for Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin declined to comment on the request Thursday, saying it is still being evaluated. “The Secretary takes this request for assistance very seriously. He and his team are working through the details, and will respond to the mayor’s office as soon as a decision has been reached,” the spokesman said in a statement.
    more at the link

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't know about that. This year's Ukraine aid and CHIPS Act are already way more than 300B combined.

The original reconciliation bill wanted ~3T in extra spending.

I like the pivot for putting some emphasis on budget reduction (thanks Manchin? Is he still a sumbich?) but that's like putting the garnish next to a 20oz steak and counting the mashed potatoes as 2 vegetables.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

So because the Republicans (plus Manchin and Sinema) blocked BBB, you are giving credit to Biden for deficit reduction? You realize he wanted to spend more, right?

5. cdastros

cdastros Member

The BBB act would increase the deficit less than the standard cut taxes mostly for the rich Republican plan.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was racist until woke white Hollywood people started overdosing on fentanyl when they thought it was pure cocaine
    And damn the drugs are flowing like a trap record on repeat

oh wait dumb woke trans people don’t know which border ! It ain’t Canada breh

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. StupidMoniker

Tax cuts cannot increase the deficit. That starting point for both taxation and spending is zero. Increasing spending increases the deficit, which then requires taxation to pay for it. It is the spending that costs money though. With zero spending, there cannot possibly be a deficit. Stealing less of my money costs nothing.

10. cdastros

cdastros Member

You are right on tax cuts cannot increase the deficit. One thing Republican and Democrat politicians agree on is increasing government spending. The difference is Democrats attempt to pay for it while Republicans don't.

Invisible Fan and Amiga like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

BBB's impact on the deficit is relatively minor. The treasury claims the BBB would be fully paid for. The CBO said it would cost 160b over 10 years. Relatively minor.

@cdastros point is correct. Democrats have been more fiscally responsible than Republicans.

Now, personally, I think the concern should be more about the private sector creating too much private debt. The private sectors love to lend out money like crazy, creating bubbles that eventually lead to economic bust (like the last great recession). That pattern is repeating again.

jiggyfly, cdastros and Invisible Fan like this.
  12. StupidMoniker

They are both big spenders, the Dems are bigger taxers. I want smaller spenders. If you don't spend a lot, you don't need to tax a lot. Spending more is not a solution, it just makes the problem bigger. Either the deficit gets bigger or they take more taxes. Stop spending.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Deficit spending decreased by more than one Trillian dollars since Biden took office.

jiggyfly, cdastros and rocketsjudoka like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you look at the last 40 years the deficit has ballooned under Republican Presidencies while it has decreased a few times, including been balanced, under Democrats

#2274 rocketsjudoka, Jul 31, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
    cdastros and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. StupidMoniker

Federal spending was higher in 2021 than any other year in history at 6.82 trillion dollars. • U.S. federal budget - receipts and outlays 2027 | Statista
    Your post does not at all contradict what I said. I don't want the government to take more from me to be more fiscally responsible with their out-of-control spending, I want them to spend less money so they don't need to take it from me.

16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade is a huge left troll. You're wasting your time

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Based on what?

18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

All you do is spam left propaganda. You want me to call Mojoman a right troll; sure I can do that too. You're being dishonest

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This might be the most ignorant thing you have ever posted.

If you get a pay cut would that not increase your deficit if you had deficit?

It's simple math if you have less coming in to pay for your deficit that deficit will increase if it has interest tied to it.

The bolded has no merit in the conversation because a deficit is already there, and with zero spending you have nothing, so what will you do for safety and transportation?

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What? I post articles as evidence of what we're discussing. I haven't posted any cartoons, only occasionally post tweets and almost always discuss anything I post.

I believe you're confusing me with somebody else.