1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Jobs] Is it possible?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by baller4life315, Oct 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Is it possible to get a job with a major sports team without knowing somebody on the inside? I just applied for a position with an NBA team that i'm very qualified for and I fear that I wont even get a call back simply because you get the feeling its one of those jobs that you have to know somebody in order to get. Mind you, this is pretty much my dream job.

Can anybody put a positive spin on this before I start getting depressed? :cool:

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Ask Yao or Tmac to put in a good word for you, I am sure you will get the job with the rockets. ;)

3. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Reality: It's not what you know, it is who you know. Especially with high profile/high applicant rate jobs - just think how many people have the same dream to work for a sports team and applied.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Yup, I realize that. At the same time I hope the fact that I don't know anybody or come recommended by anybody that it doesn't automatically disqualify me. I hope they take the time to actually review my application and my credentials. Oh well....we'll see.

5. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

6. teknokid

teknokid Member

Uh oh..

Are we applying for the same position?
    Marketing dept?

7. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

True True. I work for a state university so when ever there is a job opening, we have to post it nationally. However, if there's a person at the university applying for the job, they usually get it because the people giving the interviews all know that person. Alot of people are related at where I work. Either network or start from the basement.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Sorry to depress you, but don't get your hopes up. As someone posted above, it's who you know. Either you know or you start at the bottom and get to know. People don't apply for jobs at least in college athletics. I've learned that a job posting is just a formality.

There's always a chance so it doesn't hurt to apply.

9. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I would imagine there is always a chance. Even in my corporation, there is a lot of networking, however, there are always some openings that they are really looking for a good external candidate that meets their needs.

10. updawg

updawg Member

If I owned the Rockets I'd hire you

11. WildSweet&Cool

Even if you don't know anyone at the company you applied to, if you know someone from a competing company that will go to bat for you, it might help.

For example, if you know somebody at the Hornets, and you can get them to call their counterpart at the Rockets org and recommend you, that would help.

If you don't know anybody at all... well....

12. codell

codell Contributing Member

I applied too.

:mad:

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Well, there is a better chance that one of the three will get the job.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I have a job with a major Houston sports team and I didn't know a single person on the inside. It isn't that high of a position but there are people who get hired within the organization that don't have any connections, but obviously it couldn't hurt.

15. teknokid

teknokid Member

Oh man.. i knew there will be some competition out there.
    Do you have online portfolio?

16. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Truthfully, it's hard to break into sports without knowing someone. I got my internship(s) with the Cowboys back in college through connections and connections only. Once I got a little experience, though, I was able to parlay that into a full-time job in sports (well, uh, sports-ish).

Fair warning: As much as I love sports, I just got out of the industry because the pay was unacceptable. (Technology pays SO much better. :p )

17. teknokid

teknokid Member

How about a technology job within the sports industry?
    oh hold on.. that's what i am currently doing too : p

18. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Heh, that was my secondary job, as I did some LAN administration on the side for no extra pay. (I told you sports pay sucks.) Personally, the best of both worlds would be to work a sports job in a tech company, NOT work tech in a sports company. At least then, there would be SOME advancement possibilities.

Is your team chaotic and horribly managed from an organizational standpoint? That was my impression of the Cowboys, and I'm wondering if all sports teams are similar. Might just be the nature of the beast.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Absolutely agreed.

I don't think all sport organizations are like that, the team I'm with is actually really organized and managed pretty well for the most part.

20. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

what degree would you need to get into marketing dept.