1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jobs in Texas during the Perry regency

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

From my earlier link:

"Counting from the beginning of the recession (December 2007) the Texas public sector has grown 3.8%, or a little under 70,000 employees. This is faster than normal employment, but it's not off the charts."

" in the last year the Texas public sector has shrunk by 26,000 jobs. In the last 12 months, Texas lost 31,300 federal employees, trimmed 3,800 state jobs, and increased local government jobs by 8,400 jobs."

Also, is it not possible to infer that since the Texas private economy has remained strong, tax revenues have remained high and the government has been able to grow to keep up with population growth?

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

how far do you want to keep going back. how many jobs has texas created since 2000

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Really? Your numbers came from the beginning of 2008. Mine came from December 2007.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so was that to dispute the numbers i posted? i don't get the point?

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

No, my point is that Texas government hasn't grown that much and in the past year it has actually shrunk.

I'm not sure why the 2 numbers are so different, might have something to do with seasonality. But the larger point remains the same.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

my point was that gov't growth accounts for the positive growth since the recession but yeah it would be nice to know the accurate numbers

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Fair enough, I don't disagree. Googling around, I found that the # on your article is seasonally adjusted, while mine is not.