1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Job Search] How do you find out if a company is legit OR if they're doing well

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Unfortunately, I've encountered a couple scammers on Indeed. There really are A holes out there taking advantage of vulnerable people.

Right now, there's an opportunity for me with a company that's a "private company". I can't state what the name of the company is for obvious reasons, but I would like to know how CF members deal with finding out how a company is legit and if it's doing well. I THINK this company is legit, but would like to find out (if possible) if theyre doing well.

Thank you for your thoughts.

2. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Glass door has reviews as a place to start. You can also view profiles of employees on Linkedin to see job history education of current employees and their roles how long they have been with the company. Can search in incognito mode so that you dont appear on their Who has viewed my profile.

Google searches and BBB dont always trust the BBB but you can get an idea if the company is healthy of late.

TimDuncanDonaut and boomboom like this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont know what you mean by legit. It shouldn't be hard to weed out scammers. Website, corporate number, ect ...

If its a legit company and you need a job, their financials shouldn't matter at this point.

Take a look at their Dun and Bradstreet rating. ( www.dnb.com ) This is essentially a business version of a credit score. You will have to pay to see it.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

An established headhunter will generally take care of this for you as they have established contacts, but if you're expanding your job search net to increase chances, I guess meeting and finding as many people who work there is the safest way. Then you dig into their linkedin profile and network.

Always a mixed bag for companies with 50 or less people.

What exactly is your career field and how long have you been at it?

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Stating the obvious here, but I would just Google them. And look up people who work there on LinkedIn.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

this can be a tough question to answer.

i have been involved in jobs that werent what advertised and unfortunately it seems more and more prevalent. you do have to use your gut a bit..remember you need a job not a setback.

companies dont want a job hopper yet will hire/fire someone around their own whims no matter how flighty.this stinks.. its not a two way street and employees are held to a higher standard than employer.

so unfortunately you have to assume lots of bullsh*tters.

you can ask questions of hr or interviewer that will give insight. i seem to remember you say pm jobs so i would be asking questions around incoming business.
    as post sale your long term relies on their business. how long have they been doing it? are things coming in and going out or is it a bunch of " im gonna" talk? lots of times even in interview you can tell how busy and how needed. ongoing...

how many projects are being run? are the projects short or long term? what does workload look like?

what does a day to day look like? how many pms before me? are they still there? how long do pms stay there?

some places will hire 5 pms then whittle it down to 1 as the project finishes. same in sales. hire 12 to keep 1...not 1 because he is good but because he is the most sucker.

the place im at now lied about work and lots of things. i resent them a bit and post on basketball bbs along with other ways of venting.

im still employed in virus and as drake says - you know what it was when you signed up

clean version ill be outta words tryna sum it up

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

They usually have a song/dance ensemble when you're hired.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I once looked for ex-employees on LinkedIn and DM'd them asking if they liked the job. Why they left. etc... Direct approach. Worked like a charm. And if you cant find ex-employees, it's umm, probably a scam.

jiggyfly and Xerobull like this.