1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Job Openings at My Company: Heads Up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yobod, Nov 5, 2009.

1. yobod

yobod Member

Oddly enough my company has been trying to fill these positions for awhile. They sent out an email today asking employees to help fill these positions. Urged us to recommend someone today and help if we know anyone qualified for these positions. We are a software company located in downtown Houston. From what I gather they are mainly looking for a marketing person who has some experience with graphic design and an administrative person.

http://www.stonebond.com/

Hope this helps anyone that's currently job hunting. Maybe if they get on my case for being on ClutchFans while at work I can say it was to fill our job openings. :D

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

Thanks

I sent my resume in for the Marketing Position.

3. updawg

updawg Member

or they can fill your position with someone from clutchfans ;)

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

So I take it you have graphic design skills? How did you get them? Where can I brush up some basic graphic design skills. I am like a kid in a candy store with Photoshop. Or rather, a basketball player trying to do crossovers and go behind the back before learning his fundamentals. I am more so on the coordination, writing (copy), side of things and whenever I get called upon for design stuff it takes me forever and its weak. Sorry to kinda derail, but I assume some guys with some insight will probably read this thread.

5. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate

Well I studied a little photography and art in school but really just got started way back when the Mac was new and started using Photoshop and Illustrator before they started putting version numbers after the name. :eek:

6. aghast

aghast Member

Your question wasn't directed at me; but what graphic design I do for work I just kind of lucked into. Unless you worked on your college paper or took the relevant art/design classes, it's kind of one of those things where you have to get the job first in order to get the experience for the job. Maybe UH has continuing/night courses available in graphics programs?

If you're capable of doing the occasional crossover in Photoshop already, that's most of the battle. As for it taking you forever when you're just tinkering, that's to be expected; repetition breeds speed/accuracy. There are some pretty detailed tutorials available on YouTube that describe various capabilities of most of the major graphics programs, if you need to brush up on the finer details.

If you're also thinking of changing jobs, it might be worthwhile to work up a few sample exhibits in color to bring to an interview in which you stress your copy-editing /attention-to-detail abilities, maybe featuring identifying names/logos of the company at which you are interviewing, to be able to show a potential employer what designs you are capable of making from given images.

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

I guess you're addressing his seemingly somewhat casual question, but there's more to it than that if you're looking to gain employment in the field eventually, in most cases and especially in this market. There are a lot of talented and experienced creative people in this town looking for work right now, and the competition is pretty strong.

I would say it will take more time and dedication if you're looking beyond a hobby. Not that you can't find someone that needs a few chops on something... but for a job, in this market, it will take more unless the stars just align for you.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

HCC offers online courses in Graphic Design. The online aspect makes them convenient for someone already working a job.

If you want something less formal try http://www.lynda.com/

9. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

10. droxford

droxford Member

How much does the ".NET Software Developer" position pay?

Is it competitive?

11. yobod

yobod Member

I believe the .Net developer positions may be filled, but I could be wrong. Maybe if the right person comes along but I do know the guys we have now are pretty backed up with work so maybe they could use someone to ease the work load. As for salary I do actually know how much the guys make, I'd say its pretty competitive with my friends from other companies.

12. playlife

playlife Member

I'm just curious how much is the market price/pay for this type of position?

13. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Member

i would say from 60-70k...if its on senior level. i am in my 50s and i work with .NET often.

14. yobod

yobod Member

I'd say...

50's for entry level developer (1-3 years)

60-75K for a mid level (4 years +)

80-100K for senior level

from my experience

15. droxford

droxford Member

According to JDA Associates Houston Salary Survey for 2009 (link)...

.net developer (not a senior developer):
    Low-end: $66k
    Average: $86k
    High (competitive): $115k

senior developer:
    Low-end: $84k
    Average: $105k
    High (competitive): $125k

16. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

60-70k? No way. Maybe for an entry level .NET developer. A true senior .NET developer should be making 90K +

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

you may work with .NET often but you may not be a true .NET developer

18. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

I'm so underpaid. :(

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

What is a true .net developer?

20. Anticope

Anticope Member

Are they looking for much experience for any of these positions?