1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Job hunting while at work, shameful? Advice.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by yobod, Sep 23, 2008.

1. yobod

yobod Member

Hey Guys,

I'm a little new at this, I've been working at this company since I got out of college 2 years ago. I was entry level, and since then my salary has gone up not so much but thats to be expected, I'm still somewhat young (24).

Everyone at my current company is really nice, treat me great. It's a small company so its very tight knit. But of course at the end of the day, them being nice isn't going to down a house for me.

I've submitted a few resume and have been in discussion with those companies. My current salary before expenses and everything is around 40K, I got an offer yesterday for 55K-60K and they want me to start soon. But I cant just leave my current job hanging on that short notice and the new job offer is kind of pressuring me saying "this has to move quickly"

Have you guys dealt with leaving a job before? How did that go?

2. flipmode

flipmode Member

I've got no experience leaving a job, but maybe you could use some encouragement from someone in your own age group.

i would say that you don't owe your current employer anything - while you do enjoy their culture, you still have your bills to pay. as people with families of their own, your co-workers and supervisors have to understand that. you could do the common courtesy of two weeks' notice, which should let them recover in time.

just don't leave with loose ends or burned bridges - in case you don't like your next position, chances are the previous company would like to have you back. make sure you have at least 3 people from your current job who you can call as referrals.

good luck!

3. ClutchCityReturns

It's not "show friends." It's show business".

[​IMG]

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

They're offering you a 50% pay increase. You should give your two weeks right now.

5. Landlord Landry

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xuBRk6tjiUQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xuBRk6tjiUQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

6. doboyz

doboyz Member

All you owe them is 2 weeks notice. Then after that chunk the deuce, or see if they come back with a counter-offer.

7. lalala902102001

Give your two weeks notice today and start your new job in 14 days.

8. Miguel

Miguel Member

Two weeks notice. If they fire you before then, you can start at your new job sooner! :)

9. yobod

yobod Member

lol, i think id feel so uncomfortable if they counter offered and i stayed knowing i was leaning towards leaving.

but like it says up there, show business not show friends right? ;)

damn my heart of gold, wish i could be a little more cut throat