1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Job advice needed.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DaDream, Mar 23, 2010.

1. DaDream

DaDream Member

In Oct of '09 I was told I am getting laid off on Dec. 4th '09. Well I keep getting extended and finally they tell me my last day for sure will be the 31st of this month. This is a office job (accounts recievable) that I sit in a cubicle all day and hate my job. BUT it pays the bills and the benefits are pretty good considering it is for a major hospital in the houston area.
    Well a couple years ago I decided I didn't want to work in front of a computer screen for the rest of my life. I started doing the educationn to get into a totally different field. More like the self employed field dealing w/ real estate. And for the past few months I have been putting this in high gear getting ready for the inevitable. I just have to pass the test to get my license now.

My boss calls me in today and says they are probably going to need me after all and do I want to stay. I said probably no but I will think about it. I kinda have the feeling of being the "2nd choice" type thing.

Going into the business which I want to go in I have the potential to make a def better life for me and my kids. Staying would be a basic paycheck with benefits but a LOW ceiling. I really don't want to stay and go on with my initial plans but I know that is a risk.
    I have no college degree.
    I am a single parent.
    I have a mortgage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Keep job.

Pass test. Get license.

Use license to pursue career you like. Find better job, leave old job.

Yeah, you might burn your employer by saying you'll stay and then leave shortly after, but that's how it goes.

3. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Getting into real estate?? Becoming a Realtor?

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I agree. And screw the employer, they were going to fire you anyway. I wouldn't worry about their feelings.

5. DaDream

DaDream Member

I forgot. If I stay I forfiet a serverance of about $4k.

6. DaDream

DaDream Member

Professional real estate home inspector

7. BmwM3

Would you have a good job lined up? It's pretty hard to have a steady income in real estate when you first start off. ( You'll need at least 6 months in reserves if you're just starting off)

8. updawg

updawg Member

stay until you have that new job set up completely. you need connections and some experience before you can rely on that 100%.

you don't want to quit and be doing the second job with zero customers and that one is in a terrible market right now.

9. DaDream

DaDream Member

I have a couple grand saved up and also will be getting the $4000.00 if I leave. I could get unemployment and also do some under-the-table side work to make ends meet. By summertime (if I get licensed) the company I have been apprenticing with will be contracting work to me and the whole time I will be trying to get my name out there.
    This was basically my plan. Does this sound impossible.
    And from what I heard Houston is one of the few places that the real estate market hasn't had it that bad compared to the rest of the nation.
    Is there a realator in the house?

10. BmwM3

If you're guaranteed income, than go for it. But remember, in real estate, nothing is ever guaranteed. There are lots and lots of home inspectors out there that you will have to be competing against.

11. Depressio

I don't really know from first-hand experience, but it doesn't seem like $4,000 and a "couple grand" would pay for a child and a mortgage for very long.

A professional real estate home inspector seems like a self-employed business, is it not? Those could be really dicey to start up unless you have significant capital of your own (e.g., more that $4,000 + "a couple grand"), and even then it might still flop if you don't start it up correctly.

If it's not something you'd start on your own (perhaps join a business that has several contractors instead), then you could easily get your license and find a job while continuing your current employment. If you get that new job quickly after getting your license, well, maybe you lose a couple thousand dollars from that severance. However, if you don't get it quickly, at least you still have income.

Keeping your current job has little risk, but you could still end up with the job you want later anyway. I still say do that.

12. DaDream

DaDream Member

Man I really feel this is a hard decision for me.
    I thank you all for your input, it is much appreciated.
    I am about to turn 32 and almost feel that if I don't go full throttle with it now I may get stuck.
    and I really want that money. LOL

13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's not a good time to leave a job IMO. As you know, $4K will be gone before you know it. I would stick with the job you have now and try to get all your ducks in a row before you jump ship.

14. BmwM3

You can always save up some money and start it down the road if you want it as a career choice. The company you said you been apprenticing with, do they let you go out on the field with a home inspector? Ask him questions. ( How much would be good to start up in this business, what you should know, does home inspection stay busy, etc)

I'm a Realtor and I only work with 3 home inspectors. It was about 6 home inspectors , but they left the business all together.I've had some bad experiences with some, but mostly good. I talk to them about business every time they inspect a house and they all tell me the same thing. It's not as busy as it was before and they're lucky to do 1-3 houses every two weeks. ( They are self employed though) But one of my home inspector stays pretty busy. He was averaging 6 -10 a week, but now down to about 4-7. (Which is not bad)

15. updawg

updawg Member

also, I think if you take the money you won't be eligible for unemployment so keep that in mind

16. DaDream

DaDream Member

Yeah the company I apprentice with has been in business for like 20 years. And they have been really busy since Feb. They are about 3-5 inspectors big. Yeah I have been going out with the owners son for about 2.5 years now. He is also a good friend I went to high school with. Well I am sure it is the same with you that summer time is the money time. That is another reason I want to get in now. The inspector I go out with said they are really starting to pick up.

17. Depressio

Well, if you're new career is basically guaranteed once you get your license, take that severance, get your license ASAP, and get that new job. But you need to be VERY confident you'll get the new job.