1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Joaquin Hawkins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TedRuxpin, Oct 23, 2002.

1. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

This is the first Rockets preseason game I've watched this year. I'd like to re-iterate other member's positive comments on Hawkins. Hawkins has the tenacity and hustle of Scotty Brooks, Mario Elie, and David Wood.

The Rockets need a player that hustles like Hawkins. I hope he makes the roster.

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I got to see him first hand on Sunday and I like the guy's game. He is a hustler and a decent offensive player. I would also like to see him make the roster.

Tito did not impress me. He could not beat the full court press and was repeatedly trapped in the top half court corner.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It's funny to hear RocketsPimp calling Hawkins a "hustler".

;)

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I too like Hawkins' game, but Oscar was not exactly chopped liver tonight. In fact, Oscar may have solidified his spot on the roster.

5. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Both Hawkins and Goodrich looked good, Oscar has his moments as well. Tierre Brown has looked very good at times. Although Brown did make some mistakes vs. SA which hurt.

Hawkins adds something to the team, throw him in for some defense and some veteran play. These are things the Rockets can use.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I read Hawkins actually was teaching Ming on the court. If that didn't solidify an IR spot, I don't know what else he would need to do.

7. ClockworkOrange

I liked Hawkins as well. He may not have scored as much as his last game, but he hustled like there was no tomorrow. I hope he can make this squad some how, whether it be just on the IR. He seems reall fast to me, like when he chased that one loose ball or pass. The thing is, he might be battling Oscar for that last spot and he's been playing well also.

8. thumbs

Clockwork, if he doesn't hustle like there was no tomorrow, most assuredly there won't be. ;)

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I've been high on Hawk since the first game I saw him in. That guy flat out busts ass like noone since Mario.
    I was also impressed with Goodrich and Oz last nite. Dump Colly and keep Goodrich. Goodrich > Collier
    Pimp is right about Tito, he cant beat a trap to save his life, Tierre has outplayed him easily. Tierre looks smooth running the offense and under Tito, we have lost leads in every game after he goes in...

In a perfect world, we dump Collier and Tito...sign Goodrich, Tierre, and Hawk..and go our way to the playoffs this year..

10. javilo

javilo Member

We need a person like hawkins Who has no fear and is willing to sacrifice himself for the Team, (Wish we had more like him). The game was close last night but I hope everyone noticed that Tim didnt play the 4th quarter and If he was in , the score wouldnt have been as close because Cato cannot hold him. AT ALL!!!

11. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Doesn't he speak a little mandarin also since he had a little stint in the CBA? That's always a plus :)

12. thumbs

Cato can hold him, but he can't block the resulting free throws!:D

Hawkins did look good. I hope he and Torres both make the team. However, how can we "keep" Maddox while he is developing his point guard skills? At this point IMO Hawkins has earned Maddox' roster spot. Heck, I'm just a fan -- I'd like to keep 'em all.

13. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

So what, who in the league can. Can Parker or the Spurs hold Francis? He wasn't in there all the time either.

Francis, Cat, Mooch, KT, Rice, TMo and others weren't in for stretches or at all so the game could have been a blowout our way. When the best players were in we lead by as much as 10. It's exhibition, Rudy let his 3rd string 2 and 3 and Yao play significant minutes. Yao Ming doesn't know the offense or his team mates yet, and was 70 hours from a 20 hour plane flight and two whirl wind days in the U.S.. Let's see what happens in a few weeks when we have most of our players and it really counts. :p

14. ClockworkOrange

Haha...True true. He is one of those players you need on your squad, ala Mario Elie. :D

15. shuttle

shuttle Member

So............Tito didn't even play?? Anyone know what that's about? :confused:

16. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

Would the season please start. I want to see these guys play. Come DirectTV/League Pass, throw the dog a bone!!

17. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

He has looked pretty bad. Hawkins and Torres played more. Both looked much better than Tito. Cat played some point (at least he brought the ball up) on occasion. Rudy might have been experimenting with Cat and Steve at opposite guard positions.

18. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

In a perfect world, we would have a 27 year old Hakeem....

Goodrich....isn't he like a cheaper version of Collier, or is he the superior? :p
    Don't know, I haven't really followed his career. ;)
    Hawkins most likely won't be playing with us, but may have a chance with a team that's looking for that defensive guy.
    Torres and Morris look to have locked their roster spots.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Goodrich is a better and cheaper version of Collier..he knows the Princeton offense that RT is *reportedly* basing our new 5 man offense on. He is also more active on D than JC.

I dont figger Hawk will make it, but I wish he could. I like his game.
    No argument from me, Torres and TMo will be on the squad IMO..
    I just wish we could send Tito to Europe for the year..he has stunk so far this year.