1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Joakim Noah or Yi Jianlian?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by johnkamla, Aug 26, 2006.

1. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

If both are available in the 2007 draft and all the other obvious choices (Greg Oden, OJ Mayo, etc.) are gone, which guy would you choose?

IMO, both guys have shown great potential but neither are lock solid future stars. Noah flashed greatness for just a handful of games last year, albeit on the biggest stage of college basketball. Yi is starting to put together a resume on the international stage and was MVP of the CBA last season (I know that doesn't mean much to some). Both are tall, skinny and athletic. Noah has shown a good all-around game. Yi is a good rebounder, shot blocker and mid-range shooter.

Who's your pick?

2. pchan

pchan Member

Maybe I just need to see Yi more, but I really haven't seen him doing much during the current FIBA basketball tournament...

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Jianlian as a project.

Noah doesn't knock my socks off.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Both guys are overrated IMO. Yi probably has more potential than Noah but I think Yi has a greater chance of being a complete bust than Noah being a good player (I think that makes sense).

5. AXG

AXG Member

I choose Yi for his potential and his great mid-range game. He's a good rebounder and can spread the floor some for his buddy Yao to operate. I think Noah is a little overrated, but decent nonetheless. I just don't see Noah making much improvements to his game, while Yi still has room to grow and develop some defense.

6. william847

william847 Member

Does anybody have any sites that I can go to about Noah? Or any sites with video clips? I have never seen this guy play..... :D

7. BayAreaG510

BayAreaG510 Member

Joakim Noah sucks.

8. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

NOAH is going to REGET not coming out this yr

BUSTAA

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Didn't vote, where's the neither button?

10. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That was nice. Like Luckyazn posted, Noah is gonna regret not coming out last year. He was lock for a Top 3 pick and I think he is gonna show who he really is...an overhyped Anderson Varajuo (sp?).

12. Flamescreen

Flamescreen Member

I think Yi can become a good player(he's a talent still), but I don't think he's NBA material right now and not for at least 2 more years. You cannot be skinny and do anything in the NBA, the best example of a non american player is Kukoc(of my all time faves), who was at least 7-9 times better than Yi when he joined(and actually was so good that played all five positions, superb defender for Europe and would score 50's frequently) but still couldn't be really used until he bulked up.

And even then he didn't become the dominant player he was in europe and never became anything better than a valuable contributor to Jordan's team(and out of it more like Pipen's role, not as good as you'd want him). In addition CBA is sorta of a minor NBA, but not quite, vast competition difference.

Not to say he's useless, but don't let appearences full you. He's far from ready for the NBA yet.

13. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

???

We must have watched two different person. If anything, he is a Stromile Swift clone.

14. compucomp

compucomp Member

Reminiscent of Carter over Weis. Too bad CBS never showed any replays of the dunk because Florida won and CBS was blatantly pro-Florida. Honestly I have not seen that much from Noah to suggest that he will be a superstar.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maybe not a superstar, but he can be very very good, with some all-star type seasons. This guy put up consistently good, all around numbers this year in his first major college basketball season. He's got the height and length and athleticism for sure. He needs to work on his mid-range game, offensive post-up moves, and to some extent, ball-handling (depending on the type of player he wants to be in the NBA).

Though he hasn't shown any tendency to be a good long-distance shooter, I think if he can at least develop good mid-range game, there should be no reason why he shouldn't be a solid starting PF for any team in the league, with the potential for some 20-10 seasons on there.

Not saying there isn't a downside case with him, too, just that I think Noah, at this point, clearly has shown a lot lot more potential than Yi.

Think about Yao. He dominated the CBA and still took a few years to adjust. He is only just now getting ready to dominate the NBA in his fifth season.

Yi is quietly approaching Yao's age when he was drafted and hasn't shown himself to be anywhere near as dominant in the CBA. In the most recent WBC I found his game to be highly lacking and didn't really see how he helped his team out that much when on the floor. Yi may become a solid NBA player one day, but his game needs a lot of work, from what I've seen.

16. triplebogey

triplebogey Member

yi jianlian is rumored to be 24 years old...or possibly even older. that's a big difference from joakim noah's authenticated age of 21. when talking about drafting any player based on potential, the age of the player is a crucial factor in projecting improvement. three years of development is pretty significant. plus, you're also talking about a huge cultural transition, learning a new language, etc. yao made it look easy because he's pretty special. unless you have solid evidence that yi will handle the transition (i'm just talking about lifestyle here, not even the basketball side), i'd go with noah easily.

17. BayAreaG510

BayAreaG510 Member

Yi JianLian is 19. That stupid rumor Fran Blinebury started was wacked. Shane Battier said he never said Yi told him he's really 24. Fran Blinebury must've feel stupid now.

18. kingkow

kingkow Member

Jo because its got better handles, better basketball IQ

19. mrmrdan

mrmrdan Member

It really will have to depend. No one could've figured that Rudy Gay dropped all the way to 6 in this year's draft, or that Gerald Green dropped to #16 in last year's draft. Besides we have to see how each one develops.

20. dfwrox

dfwrox Contributing Member

This is not true. Shane has cleared the rumor.

This part, you have made it up yourself.