1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Watt = MVP?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rolyat93, Oct 26, 2012.

1. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Member

The fact that he's even in the conversation as a defensive player is a testament to how amazing he's been playing. Just enjoy it, don't expect him to win it, and be pleasantly astounded if he pulls it off.

As a Texans fan since inception and suffering through a decade of ****tiness, let's just enjoy the ride and let the chips fall where they may. It's a great time to be a Texan.

2. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

If we win the SB I dont see why he wouldnt get it.

3. Relentless

Relentless Member

FTFY homie

4. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

:grin:

5. DieHard Rocket

I think you're underestimating the effect of team win totals on the voting. The last time an 11 win team had an MVP was '02 with Gannon. Since then there have been only 12+ win teams with MVP winners. If we go 13-3 or better and Denver/NE are 11-5 or worse, I think Watt would get serious consideration (if he keeps it up). Arian will probably get serious consideration in that case as well if he has a good second half with some standout games.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Nobody considers Arian Foster an MVP candidate...

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

If he continues to lead the league in yards and touchdowns and drastically increases his YPA. They will be. I actually think he has a better shot than Watt does. Watt's goal should be DPOY not MVP.

8. conquistador#11

we have stars all over the place.
    -a running back that can realistically finish with 1,500 yards 20 tds.

-An 3-4 defensive end that will end up with 15-20 sacks and a gazillion swatted passes (20 realistically)

- A Qb, that if he had a different last name, would be viewed differently by fans of the home team, that guy can finish with 4,000 yards/25 tds/96 qbr and an 13-3 record.

-The tight end, who is playing like he is 24 again.

- one shut down corner/ the other one among the leaders in Ints.

- GQ emerging as one of the best cover and hard hitting safeties, not many out there that can do both that well.

-a rock star is son of bum

- a battlefighter in kubiak (coach of the year candidate but that could go to mike smith if he goes undefeated )

And we're missing cushing =(

9. DieHard Rocket

On pace for 1500 yards (2nd in rushing right now) and 17+ TDs and he hasn't even looked that good. If he can turn it on and have some really huge games don't count him out.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

These are all big hurdles, but if Watt breaks the single season sack record, the Texans finish the season on top of the conference, and the defense is a top 5 unit, that's as strong a case as any QB.

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

As far as QBs go, only Eli Manning and his late day heroics worry me. Guy has won 2 Super Bowls and has gotten the legit status as a 4th quarter magic man, even with his brother back, if Eli keeps having more comeback wins and wins his division with decent elite QB yardage, I suspect the "voters" will give the award to him.

Watt still has more then a decent shot if he continues at his current pace, especially if he gets a few more of his deflected passes turned into interceptions.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Watt's goal should be DPOY and not MVP? Why exactly? That's like having the ability to become President but settling for Vice President for no reason.

13. Relentless

Relentless Member

He's going to win both

14. juicystream

juicystream Member

No I'm not. I'm betting they are winning a lot more games. Winning is why I didn't include Brees, who isn't likely to win his division.

I think the Packers & Broncos finish 12-4. Their schedules are getting easier (especially the Broncos).

15. juicystream

juicystream Member

It hasn't been a non-QB/RB since 1986, and never been a DE.

James Harrison had 16 sacks 126 tackles, top ranked defense in the NFL, that went 12-4, and only got 3 votes for MVP.

Peyton Manning won the MVP on another 12-4 team with 4,002 yards, 27 TDs, 12ints, 95 rating.

16. crose

crose Member
    Supporting Member

He is going '94 Olajuwon style and taking DPOY, MVP and Superbowl MVP!

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

I guess I should have used the word "realistically". Obviously he should shoot for having the best season ever by any player but DPOY is more realistic due to his position.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

THIS!

19. juicystream

juicystream Member

Yep. JJ Watt may deserve to MVP, it just isn't going to happen. They should just do Offensive & Defensive MVPs (thought DPOY has become that, a separate OPOY also exists).

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'll settle for Watt DPOY (#1 sacks), Arian OPOY (#1 in rushing yards & TD) and Schaub SBMVP (3 TD 0 int).