1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JJ Watt makes the All-Pro team 2013

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by david_rocket, Jan 3, 2014.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

Going along with this theme: below is the 2014 Pro Bowl Roster from Pro Football Focus (advanced analytics site that watches every play for every player, much more trustworthy than media members):

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/24/pff-pro-bowl-team-2014/

Here, AJ, Myers, Watt, and Lecher get nominations, which is much more accurate. All had exceptional years, but the 2-14 effect takes them out of the limelight.

#2 jbasket, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  3. meh

meh Member

All-Pro and Pro-Bowl are different. AJ was voted to the pro-bowl. IMO, not worthy of being an All-Pro. Only Watt deserves that this year.

4. Nick

Nick Member

All-pro is all that matters. Only the best of the best.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Congrats to JJ, well deserved. Hope he keeps racking them up. We'll have wait at least 2 more seasons to see B2B DPOYs.

Don't think Dre was deserving. The receptions were nice, but ypc, TDs, and overall yards were outclassed by too many players. His QBs didn't help, but that a different story... the story of his career.. smh.

6. Nick

Nick Member

Sure... but he's had his fair share of making all-pro first and second teams, and pro bowls, with the same QB's.

He wasn't better than Gordon or Brown this year.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fantasy football aside, Josh Gordon might have been the best WR in the league this year. He managed to make big plays despite Cleveland using 3 different quarterbacks. Defenses focused on him and he still found ways to get open.

Antonio Brown has been consistent all year. AJ seemed to trail off after Keenum's 2nd or 3rd game.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Says more about Dre. His 2 first team All-Pros and 61 TDs is nothing to brag about.

9. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Maybe over Brown.. but Brown was more consistent, although to no fault of Andre's..

But no, not debatable over Josh Gordon. Gordon clearly had the better season. Gordon played HAM

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

Yes they are. However, PFF's Pro-Bowl team is different from the normal Pro-Bowl team. They pick their own Pro-Bowl team, much like the AP pick the All-Pro players. There is not a fan voting process with PFF and quite frankly, I believe the PFF team watches much more tape and utilizes more analytics and better stats than the Associated Press.

Although they have more slots in the Pro-Bowl roster with PFF, you can still get a feel for who performed the best this year without any bias that the media has.

11. Mashing

Mashing Member

Agreed, I religiously read PFF. Fantastic site.

1 person likes this.
  12. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

Enjoy it JJ...because from now on, you're only role on the team is going to be to occupy two blockers.

Jk.

I hope.

:)

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

14. meh

meh Member

That was my point in my last post. That Pro-Bowl selection(mocked or real) has more slots than All-Pro. The AJ bit was my opinion. I do believe he's pro-bowl caliber but not all-pro caliber. I really have no opinion on PFF's methodologies because I don't know enough about interior line play to pass judgement on them.

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

I understand what you are saying; however, being a Pro-Bowl "starter" (top 4) for PFF is equivalent to being selected to an All-Pro team. This was again reinforced when he was named 2nd team All-Pro by PFF.

Whether you believe in the evaluation by PFF is a different conversation. I would greatly recommend checking them out. A lot of people have been writing off AJ ever since the hamstring injury and the inevitable age decline. I have yet to see the actual decline because of his crisp route-running, great run-blocking, and excellent use of his size. It will happen though, obviously, but AJ has been exceptional at extending his career and playing at a high level.