1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. ROCKETS GAMEDAY
    The Rockets hope to rebound (no pun intended) after that brutal loss to Charlotte when they take on Ja Morant and the Grizzlies tonight. Come join us live at 7:00pm CT!

LIVE! Rockets vs. Grizzlies

JJ, Boki traded to New Orleans for Wesley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hard Rock, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

CD is the most inept GM in basketball. We already know this much. Hell we could have probably just traded Nachbar and cash for David Wesley.

2. Charvo

Charvo Member

Why didn't the Rockets wait until Bowen and Barrett were eligible to come off the IL? I believe they have 3 games left till they are eligible. The Rockets could use both these guys especially if Wesley and Sura are not available for the Bucks game.

3. The Midnight Sun

Old Guys (Is this the oldest team in the leauge or what?)

Mutumbo 38
    Barry 35
    Weatherspoon 34
    Wesley 34
    Ward 34
    Sura 31
    Howard 31
    Bowen 29
    Taylor 28
    Padgett 28
    McGrady 25
    Ming 24
    Gaines 23
    Barrett who cares

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

an open roster spot, ward possibly out for the season, jj gone. there has to be another deal going down.

5. JoeBarelyCares

So is the NBA going to throw out all of those votes for TMac as a starting guard on the All Star team, now that he is a small forward?

This is the most puzzled I've been as to a personnel decision by the Rockets since they took Robert Horry over "Baby Jordan" Harold Minor. At least with that pick there was an upside, because you weren't dealing with a 34 year old player.

JJ must have hit on JVG's wife, Karl Malone-style.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Im positively SHOCKED to find myself agreeing wholeheartedly with the Conquistador on this one. :eek:

I think we paid too much for Wesley
    I think we paid too much for Tmac
    I think Ward needs to stay on the IL for the next 3 seasons

Im staring to doubt VGs sanity

and....one last thing

to the fan that is claimig that this is the final straw and he wont watch the Rockets anymore....I say

GOOD RIDDANCE.

7. BigMan+Mac=Big Mac

BigMan+Mac=Big Mac Contributing Member

..................:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. happyricky

happyricky Member

really a break news for me. I love the trade of Lue, but JJ and Boki? I don't know. Since Boki didn't have much play time here, maybe it is better for him to move on. I just wish "Wishly" dose help to this team.:confused:

9. Wala

Wala Member

boo, boo stop complaining something need to be done to get this team back on track. Good but losing Boki may be a gamble because he may be a furture star, while JJ is getting old so is Wesley. This should be just a 2 players deal (JJ for Wesley ).

10. Cohen

Cohen Member

I don't get it. Maybe JJ was slowing down more than it appeared, or maybe another trade is in the works.

I like Wesley alright, but I'll really miss JJ's hustle and all-round sound game

11. vtkp99

vtkp99 Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2966904

Dec. 27, 2004, 5:57PM

Rockets to get David Wesley from Hornets
    Jackson, Nachbar sent to New Orleans
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Facing the indignity of two losses to the Bobcats in five days, the Rockets have apparently come up with a radical solution — a trade before every game.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy and General Manager Carroll Dawson said they did not make the latest deal — sending Jim Jackson and Bostjan Nachbar to New Orleans today for guard David Wesley — to send that message. But their players were shocked enough to take it that way.

"In the beginning of the season, expectations were pretty high for this team," forward Tracy McGrady said. "I don't think we've lived up to those expectations. I think management wanted to win right away and whatever they have to do to make us a better team, that's what they're going to have to do.

"I think everybody realized that after having two trades go down in the last five days, the only way to prevent guys having in their head 'who's next' is for us to go out and win."

The Rockets made the latest move, Van Gundy and Dawson said, to bring backcourt help to a team struggling with point guard injuries. Bob Sura is playing with a sore and swollen right knee. Charlie Ward is scheduled for surgery today.

With the acquisitions of Wesley and Jon Barry in the past week, both shooting guards capable of handling some point guard duties, the Rockets will always be able to have two ballhandlers on the court, if not necessarily traditional point guards, without asking McGrady to run the offense.

With McGrady (though still called a guard) playing almost entirely at small forward this season with Jackson switching to the backcourt, Reece Gaines was the only Rockets player whose primary position was shooting guard. With McGrady initiating the offense, it had become difficult to get him in position to also finish it.

The player dealt in the Barry trade, Tyronn Lue, was coming off the bench and playing with a torn knee cartilage. Jackson, however, had been a key to the Rockets' fortunes, averaging 41.3 minutes and 13.3 points per game after his season high 21 points against the Clippers on Sunday. Wesley and Jackson each have one season left on their contracts.

"This team is definitely stunned," forward Maurice Taylor said. "He's the most consistent player we had. Jimmy is like a rock. He did whatever was necessary. He was a real class act. It's definitely going to stun a lot of people. No matter how much a coach or a team may like you, it shows it's a business. At the end, the organization is going to do what's best for the organization.

"I don't know if they're making trades to send a message. We're not at the point we're supposed to be."

Nachbar had played in just 16 games this season, but was the 15th player taken in the 2002 draft. Nachbar will be a free agent after this season. The Rockets did not exercise their option to extend his contract to a fourth season.

As much as the deal might indicate about the precarious backcourt situation with the Rockets' only healthy point guard, Andre Barrett, on the injured list, it also indicated the difficulty they have faced in making deals. With two trades in five days, the Rockets were unable to move one of their excess power forwards, an option they undoubtedly would have preferred to dealing Jackson.

"It's hard for myself with Jim, we had a year-and-half together and he did a great job," Van Gundy said. "But I think it is a clear signal that our management is unhappy with how we've performed. I think the second part of that is everyone is concerned with the health of our backcourt.

"Look, you can't blame management for being unhappy with our performance. If we were 23-4 right now, there would be status quo. There will not be status quo with a team that wants to win when you've under-performed. I'm not talking Jim Jackson under-performing. I'm talking about the team under-performing. I'm talking about the effort and intensity not being there on a nightly basis. And when you look out there, we're unhealthy at the point guard.

"The health of the backcourt was a real dilemma and had to be addressed."

Wesley, 3,4 is in his 12th season out of Baylor where he shared a backcourt with Rockets vice president Dennis Lindsey. Wesley was averaging 13.9 points for the Hornets. He has made 42.7 percent of his shots overall and 36.9 percent of his 3-pointers in his 12-year career with the Celtics, Nets and Hornets, averaging 13.3 points per game.

Though Van Gundy said Wesley would not play tonight against the Bucks, Wesley said he hoped to have his physical completed in Houston in time to join the team tonight in Milwaukee.

He already had one thing in common with his new teammates.

"I'm stunned," he said. "I didn't expect this. It's a chance to play with two super players. It's a great chance to have. With Tracy and Yao (Ming) posting up, there's going to be a lot of chances to be a catch-and-shoot guy, play tough defense and bring energy out on the court."

While Wesley was rescued from the league's worst team and Jackson was sent to his 11th team in 13 seasons, the Rockets watching teammates come and go got the message whether one was intended or not.

"The guys upstairs are very impatient," McGrady said. "They're looking to make changes right away to make this team a better team, and I'm all for that. In order for us to be up in the elite teams in this league, they have to find the right pieces to go around myself and Yao to make this a better team. This will add more quickness and more scoring to our roster."

But with the Rockets leaving town for a back-to-back in Milwaukee and Cleveland, it will be tough for the guys on the Toyota Center third floor to maintain their trade per game pace. The Rockets, however, sounded as if they won't be surprised again.

"The new guys coming in, we have to open our arms and welcome them to our family," Taylor said. "But you never know who may be traded. You never know what may happen."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. mogrod

mogrod Member

Can we please see how this all pans out before we start jumping to conclusions about the effectiveness of CD as a GM. Who knows, maybe they have another 2 for 1 trade in the works that will make all of this worth while and make a little more sense.

Plus, player salaries have to be within 15% of each other. Teams throw in cash into deals usually to help pay for a trade kicker a player may have. You couldn't have had either JJ or Boki straight up for Wesley, the contracts don't even come close.

13. franchise23

franchise23 Member

Because CD sucks. I read somewhere on ESPN (insider i think) that the Hornets were trying to dump Wesley b/c of his salary. Boki + cash or Boki + 2nd round pick could have gotten it done.

14. Wala

Wala Member

One more thing, does anyone know when Wesley contract is expire. If it next years that give us a cap room to sign player.

15. porsche911

porsche911 Member

The Rox players have an average age of 29.71428

In other words, 30 years old avg... :eek: :(

16. franchise23

franchise23 Member

I believe it is after next season (like JJ's contract).

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

We are surrounding our big two with better complements. We gave up too much but that is CD's MO.

18. The Midnight Sun

Boki was garbage....If not we would not have a hole at the three and not play him....but we also have a hole at PF.....oh and at PG...oh and our bench....oh and the coach.....well the GM too....oh hell outside of Ming and McGrady...It all sucks...Ming give me 20 and 10 evey night please...your 7ft 6in!

19. JoeBarelyCares

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

My two favorite rockets, gone.

Damn it.