1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimy Williams to be named new Astos Skipper at 2pm.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Ty_Webb, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

astros.com

2. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Beat you by a second A-train!

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

No way! Both of them say 12:44! Your's was on the top because you replied to it first! :p

OK, Clutch, it looks like you're going to have to add seconds to the post time

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

GREAT!!!!!

Now not only will the Astros play like the Red Sox. They'll lose like the Red Sox.

Oh wait!

They already do!

5. Band Geek Mobster

6. Major

Major Member

I'm actually thrilled with this. We need someone who'll stand up to Biggio and Bagwell and demand that they do as their manager says. If he's willing to bench Pedro, he'll have no problems with taking control of Biggio & Bagwell.

No more inmates running the asylum.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

*****stros

Anyone want a free Astros cap? I hate those ********.

Nice move Drayton. You fire Dierker for this ****.

8. Smokey

I thought one of the reasons the Red Sox fired him was because he lost control of the clubhouse.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

To me Williams seemed like an unusual choice. He seems to have the same qualities that the players did not like about Dierker. He publically criticizes, he changes lineups frequently and he apparently could not get along with his stars.

I haven't expereinced any of his style in person, so perhaps DEANBCURTIS, nomar and Manny Ramirez could offer their perspective.

I am also surprised that MLB is "allowing" them to make the announcement during the world series. They usually frown upon things like that.

10. Smokey

I'd rather have Jackie Moore or Tony Pena, one of our minor league guys over some guy who obviously sucks.

I hope Biggio and Bagwell have some fun with Jimy. Another wasted opportunity to win.

11. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Smokey,

why does he "obviously" suck?

12. Smokey

Do I need to point it out?

Why did Boston get rid of Jimy Williams?

He also did not get along with management and did not win in the postseason (meltdowns). He was fired from a team in total disarray.

13. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

A lot of redsox fans think getting rid of him was the wrong thing. He took a team with Nomar and Pedro and a bunch of scrubs and went toe to toe with the Yankees.

I am not saying he was the best choice, but I dont think the man "sucks."

14. Major

Major Member

<B>I thought one of the reasons the Red Sox fired him was because he lost control of the clubhouse.</B>

I dunno, but I was under the impression that it was because they fell behind the Yankees and Duqette and him never got along as it was. The big issue, I think, was Carl Everett. Duquette would take Everett's side everytime Williams tried to discipline him and such. Williams lost control, to some extent, becuse Duquette kept overriding his decisions.

<B>He publically criticizes, </B>

I can't say that I've paid too much attention to him, but everything I've heard is that he'll defend his players to the media no matter what. He'll criticize privately, but it all stays in-house. He apparently hates the media.

<B>he changes lineups frequently</B>

That, he does do. But looking at the Williams vs. Post-Williams results, he apparently was doing something right.

<B>and he apparently could not get along with his stars. </B>

If that's true, we're in for an exciting year. :) The difference, I think, is that Dierker let the stars control him, while Williams will control the stars. To be honest, I don't care if Biggio and Bagwell like him -- they don't seem to like any of their managers. Just respect and listen to him.

Some of the other choices -- minor league managers in particular -- would more easily be ignored by the veterans. Hopefully, Williams can deal w/ young players well -- that would be my main concern.

<B>I am also surprised that MLB is "allowing" them to make the announcement during the world series. </B>

I agree it is odd. Then again, the labor situation and contraction has been all over the air too.

15. red

red Contributing Member

Williams didn't lose in the playoffs...the PLAYERS lost...

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

17. Smokey

True. Players lose games and managers lose control.

Dierker "resigned" for that reason. Williams was canned for it.

It's only a matter of time before Williams loses control in Houston. I'm sure Everett will fill Biggio and Bagwell in about Williams. When the team sees Williams' behavior (calling players out in the media, being overly critical etc...), they will lose respect for him, stop listening to him, and ultimately quit on him just like they did for Dierker.

18. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Well its great to see Jimy go to a team with a legitimate shot at a world series. As for his style, he really is one of the top managers in the league and he will get your team wins by whatever is neccessary. Although in those lines are something that I never cared for, constant lineup changes. Jimy doesn't like to make a set rotation with all of his players, so just be prepared to see some odd position moves on the roster chart.

19. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Thanks for the heads up Dean.

I can not WAIT to see how Bags and Biggio handle that.

Can you imagine if Derek Bell were still here?

JiMy: Derek you are batting 8th, b/w Adam Everett and Shane Reynolds

DB: Aw come on DWG, dis be total BS. derek dont bat no 8th. Im going fishin

20. Timing

Timing Member

I think Jimy lost control largely because of Duquette. The one thing I remember is when the Red Sox had a big series against the Yankees and Jimy pulled Pedro in like the 6th or 7th inning because he'd been pitching late into a lot of games and the next day Duquette went on his radio show and blasted Jimy and said Jimy owed the fans an apology for taking Pedro out so early. Of course a week or two later it was discovered Pedro was having arm problems so Duquette really looked like an idiot.