1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmy Wynn rejoins Astros organization

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by weslinder, May 21, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=1976049&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Wynn joins Astros organization
    Legend to serve as community outreach executive

HOUSTON -- Nearly two years after having his No. 24 retired in the Minute Maid Park rafters, former Astros outfielder Jimmy Wynn rejoined the organization Sunday as a community outreach executive.
    "Jimmy helped build the foundation for the success of our franchise," Astros owner Drayton McLane said. "We look forward to his contributions as we continue to work to take the Houston Astros to new heights on and off the field."

Wynn, nicknamed the "Toy Cannon" during his playing days, has a job description that will include working on a variety of projects for the team, including serving as an ambassador for the Astros' youth baseball program. He'll also provide instruction clinics, serve as a franchise representative to local Boys and Girls Clubs, speak at community events throughout the year, and be involved with the Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (RBI) program through attending RBI tryouts, practices and games.

"This allows me to do a lot of the things I wanted to do," Wynn said. "It allows me to talk to the kids about education. I want to give back to the community what they gave to me when I was playing ball."

In addition to his community work, Wynn is expected to contribute to Astros Alumni Association projects with former Houston pitcher and manager Larry Dierker, as well as make guest appearances on home radio and TV broadcasts. He'll also work with the Astros' baseball and scouting departments in a talent-seeking capacity.

"These guys are very good at what they do," Wynn said of the organization. "I just want to be around them, and bring to them what I did when I was playing baseball."

The former star is still a recognizable face and a fan favorite in the Houston area, a role he enjoys and one that should help him in his new position.

"[Working in the community] is something I've always wanted to do," he said. "It means a great deal [that people recognize me]. When I come to the ballpark, people want me to sign autographs, which I do. They want me to speak to the kids, which I do, and it makes you feel really good when people recognize you. It puts a smile on your face."

Wynn hit .255 with 223 home runs and 719 RBIs during 11 Major League seasons with the Houston franchise from 1963-73. His number was officially retired on June 25, 2005.

Ben Dubose is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

i don't know much about him but how do you get your number retired when you bat .255?

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The current trends make it not so obvious, but he was the first real serious power guy the Astros ever had and he put up tremendous power numbers for the times, especially when you factor in the Astrodome. For instance, he was 2nd in the NL in 1968 with 37 HR's. This was back when 15 - 20 HR were good second-tier HR numbers.