1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jimmy Johnson says Bears hiring Trestman

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by GRENDEL, Jan 11, 2013.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Dude looks like my old Economics professor.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Trestman's the real deal. And I'm happy too, because any move that makes the Alouettes worse is a good thing.

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QL7kDpJF3_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Hopefully he runs this play

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oDOpTXqKGSI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

This is the only thing that scares me...Martz syndrome.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/01/13/insider-successful-teams-leaders-police-selves

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>LM: Phil Emery reveals Marc Trestman &amp; Bruce Arians were 2 finalists; Darrell Bevell eliminated due to no head-coaching exp. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23BearsPresser">#BearsPresser</a></p>&mdash; Chicago Bears (@ChicagoBears) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/291954947669504000" data-datetime="2013-01-17T17:07:38+00:00">January 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Phil and Marc are two great talkers.

Rod Marinelli has decided to move on.

Marc says he will call plays for the offense.

#26 J.R., Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  7. GRENDEL

Also mentioned he'll be very involved with Cutler, won't be delegated to the OC and QB Coach.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yup, involved with Cutler and going to the QB meetings.

"I will be calling plays to Jay in the headset, with the help of Aaron and our staff. I love ball. I want to be hands on. ... QB will have the keys to the car. Jay is an experienced QB."

We got Joe D and Aaron. We feel a sense of urgency to get that started. (Doesn't want to keep previous staff members waiting.) I'd expect we have a few guys from the staff come south.

#28 J.R., Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  9. The CDN Dream

The CDN Dream Member

Im a hardcore cfl fan as im from canada and here are my thoughts on the hiring.

Trestman was part of a dominate als team over the last decade and that made me hate him because im a bombers fan.

One thing that i hate was his offense was not flashy at all yet it still made his players look like superstars. Most of his offense other than run plays is under passes which are short 5 yard passes or dump passes where the reciever or rb get the yac from blocks or spacing. His qb would do this for the majority of pass plays and when the defense committs and plays close, he unleashes some deep bombs.

This type of offense keeps turnovers down and the offense on the field, thus allowing for the defense to get rest. It also covers up for a weak oline which i belive the bears have because the qb (as trestman and cavillo have done) get rid of the ball fast.

I would expect a lot of plays with hester getting the ball on a short pass or marshall doing quick cuts and receptions around the 5-15 yard range.

Once again, this is all based on my time watching cavillo (the als qb) and trestman running the offense in the cfl. It could work really well because with 4 downs, the offense gets more chances to make those small plays. It could also backfire if the qb is not right for the system. I dont know how flexible trestman is with changing the gameplan because he had the same qb for a while but he has worked with cutler in the past so it may work to his advantage.

In summary, i think trestman was chosen for his experience, relationship with cutler, ability to orhcestrate an offense where to are minimized and thus giving defence more rest (bears defense with rest would be very solid).

1 person likes this.
  10. GRENDEL

Thanks for the information man, sounds like a very West Coast style which could work very well with the talent they have.