1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Petersen's an Idiot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman95, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He's comparing Reggie Slater to Kevin McHale and Moses Malone in terms of drawing fouls and being able to get extra points that way because he's a smooth free throw shooter for a big man.

The guy's a career 6.3 scorer with a career 62% free throw shooting percentage.

I'm bored.

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Common Rocketman, Give the Ivory Tower some love! You know JP was a great Rocket at one time.

I am with you on Slater though...he is a scrub or should I say thug. All he does is see how hard he can foul you just to piss you off.

------------------

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Jim Petersen is the Michael Jordan of color commentary when compared to Calvin "you know it's interesting" Murphy.

------------------
    "Why can't dip be a meal?" -David Puddy

The Hunger Site

4. crash5179

You can alway's count on Murph to throw out some off the wall hot sports oppinion. I am convinced that he is the only man on TV that can get away with calling someone a camal jockey. At least he is fun to listen to.

You should try being stuck in Dallas and having to listen to the Bozo on their telecast the constantly say's Cha-Ching and theres another Money Ball. I would rather choke on eggplant and liver than listen to him.

------------------

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Slater reminds me of Antoine Carr without the shooting . . . enforcer, etc.

We could use one of those [​IMG]

------------------
    "Any answer that can't be questioned is no answer at all. It's gibberish. It's the jabbering of startled monkeys flinging dung at the moon" -- Scott Christensen -- www.ewav.com

6. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

7. crash5179

Back in the day when the Rox had the origanal Twin Towers of Ralph Sampson and Akeem the Nigarian Nightmare we also had a third tower...The Ivory Tower and his name was Jim...Jim Peterson!

BTW on the serious side JP had some very good games with the Rox filling in for Sampson when he was hurt and at times for the Dream. He looked like a player until he got shipped off with Rodney McCray for Otis Thorpe. Man I miss Otis!

And he is also the analyst for the T-Wolves telecast. If you had to watch all the games on Direct TV you would not always get the pleasure of Bill Worrel and Calvin Murphy. Sometimes you would have to suffer thru the biased anouncers from other teams. Since I live in Dallas I got the treat of Jim Peterson and who ever the other spare anouncer was.

------------------
    Former President of the Jim Peterson fan club....all the others presidential positions were filled.

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited January 01, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited January 01, 2001).]

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

HEAD,

I thought you said you were over 30 years old. Maybe you haven't been a Rocket fan that long. Jim Petersen used to play for the Rockets back in the early-to-mid 80's and was one of the few effective backup centers we've had in our history I think. He graduated from the University of Minnesota and is a broadcaster for the Wolves now, I guess.

------------------
    "I give up. Oh my holy hell I give up." -- Clutch expresses utter frustration in encountering difficulties trying to communicate across a damn bbs. (It's even funnier if you picture Homer Simpson saying it)

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep, Peterson was the Wolves radio broadcaster the past couple of years and took over television duties from Trent Tucker (tahnkfully) this year. Tom Hannaman was the other announcer today, but he was filling in for Sean Grande (their regular TV play-by-play guy).

------------------

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I liked his broadcast, it is nice to get a different perspective.

I think the best 2 broadcasters are Chick Hearn, and Hot Rod Hunley, they are very fair to the opposition, especially Hearn.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The fact that Petersen was an ex-Rocket was brought up frequently. Petersen said MANY fine things about the Rockets. Give the man a break.

------------------
    GATER

12. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

Pancakes Pete!

Anyone remember this? He roomed with Craig Ehlo and apparently cooked breakfast for both of them, favoring pancakes, where Craig liked eggs.

Thus, Eggs Ehlo.

I have no idea why I remember this.

------------------

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Minnesota TV is probably the most boring in the world. How I missed those great "Fox Sports Net" commercials while I was forced to sit through the broadcast of such a horribly boring game.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

14. crash5179

Those guys do real radio play by play on the TV. While I don't care for that style while actually watching TV, Chick does not seem to be too biased when he is calling a game.

------------------

[This message has been edited by crash5179 (edited January 02, 2001).]

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Crash,

Perhaps I like it because it reminds me of listening to Gene Peterson's broadcasts as I was growing up, before all the games were on TV.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from Monkeys and Apes, then why are there still Monkeys and apes?

16. ktfirstbsktnewmillenium

That's kinda funny. Slater is shooting 7-12 from the line this season.

------------------
    This is ktfirstbsktof01. I changed my email address, and I put it in the profile thing. I spelled it wrong, so I can't get my new password. Do you guys know how to recover the password? I can't use the forget your password? thing, cause the email address I put in is invalid. I'll use this username until I can restore my password.

17. crash5179

Great info! Lets trade Dream, Mo, Shandon and 2 firsts for Sater...better check with gealGM first....sorry I must have slipped and hit my head.

------------------

18. crash5179

Maybe we could trade Bull for Jim Peterson! Bull wants to do Broadcast and JP can probably play better D and rebound better than anyone on the team...

------------------

19. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Anybody remember the time the Rockets were playing the Mavericks & Roy Tarpley threw a cheap shot at Peterson? I've never seen a grown man back peddle, like Tarpley did away from Peterson. When asked after the game why he was running, Tarpley said something to the effect that "You would run from a bull too if he was mad at you." That was classic. [​IMG]

------------------