1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Petersen appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chievous minniefield, Feb 11, 2014.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Buck Johnson did one just before the half of a Clippers game and then Danning Manning followed it up the a 3/4 shot as the clock expired and as Rockets were celebrating Bucks shot at half court. I think that was the shot your thinking of but I could be wrong.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Second this. Petersen is a pretty good commentator and does still have a soft spot for the Rockets. I remember his broadcast the last game that Dream played for the Rockets and at times it sounded like he was rooting for the Rockets. He clearly enjoyed his time here.

3. Indaface

Indaface Member

Heard the broadcast and he was excellent as usual. Great big man knowledge and unbiased commentary.

4. Gwalchmai

Gwalchmai Member

I remember him grabbing a rebound and dunking on Kareem. Also, I seem to remember he wore dentures, because he was also a hockey player in college.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Met Peterson when I was 10 years old. Had never heard of him until then.

6. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I remember Gene Peterson always saying Jim spelled his last name wrong. :) Didn't Petersen and McHale get into it one time? Could have been during the '86 finals.

7. bongman

bongman Member

8. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

That was a bit before my time, but I will say I very specifically enjoyed Petersen's TV commentary the other night. He seems to just love the game of basketball and it comes through in what he says about both his team and the opponent.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Jim is a very nice man.

He does a great deal of charitable acts behind the scene and has helped many people over the years. He does not talk about it and he does not want his name attached to his acts, but he has really gone to an extreme that few people do.

I can only think of one other athlete that has done as much as Jim.