1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Mora Jr. Ranks Texans as One of the AFC's 5 Best

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by aristophanes34, Aug 5, 2010.

1. aristophanes34

Here is the link...

Best In The AFC

Take it for what it is worth... I think the fact that Millen disagrees is more encouraging than Mora's endorsement, but that's me.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Everyone is always wanting to slob the Texans knob so badly. I don't understand why the Rockets get so little respect.

The Texans have done nothing.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Too many unanswered questions for me to put them that high. Unproven secondary and lack of a consistent running game stand out to me as the main reasons.

4. Major

Major Member

5. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The Texans had an elite offense last year. Should only get better with a healthier O-Line returning.

The team is full of young talent top to bottom which is getting better every year.

Our defense was actually really good last year after the first few games of the season.

Its not a stretch to think we will be a pretty good football team this upcoming season.

The Rockets don't get respect because there championship hopes rely on their center playing on a newly reconstructed foot.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

This was on NFL Network. I saw it yesterday. It's just Mora's opinion, but it's good that we're no longer the bottom feeders. :eek:

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

I don't think Texans are a great team yet but are legitimate wild card contenders. They were last year. I don't understand your comparison to the Rockets though. You snicker at the Texans ranking insinuating they don't deserve it because they've done nothing. However, you feel the Rockets are being slighted. What exactly have the Rockets done that you think is deserving of respect?

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

well for one, the rockets have consistently made the playoffs over the past few seasons and did more with less than any other team in the NBA. The Texans have had a single winning record and have done less with more. The two franchises really are not comparable at this point in time.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The Texans have been the favorites of these experts for years. Probably the last three years it seems like some ESPN analyst is calling that this will be the year for them. The Rockets can will 22 in a row and everyone says it is a fluke or they had an easy schedule.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Are you really going to argue that as a whole, the Texans have done less with more, and the Rockets more with less? :confused: Maybe you could argue that for last season - maybe - and even then, I'd argue 9-7 was fairly reasonable for that Texans team, given the talent/personnel holes they had. Before that... I think you'll be hard-pressed to argue that the 2007 and 2008 Texans had better than 8-8 talent. Before that, the overall talent was awful.

On the other hand, despite a core of two of the most talented players in the NBA since 2004... the Rockets advanced past the first round a single time. Not to mention that making the playoffs in the NBA (which over half the teams do) isn't nearly the same as making the playoffs in the NFL (which 40% do). Apples and oranges.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

People just want to be the one that said I told you so on so on that team. I'm so damn smart. Hire me for GM please.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

People always say this... can anyone actually show examples of the Texans being a "favorite" of experts and then underachieving expectations? Three years ago, the Texans were coming off a 6-10 season, had a new quarterback and were only a year removed from the 2-14 disaster - mind telling me what analysts were predicting playoffs then?

Last year, I'd wager about 10% of analysts picked the Texans to do better than 9-7 and/or make the playoffs. The vast, vast majority pegged the Texans exactly where they end up being. Sure, it was the team's refrain that they would win 10 and make the playoffs - what the hell else are they supposed to say? But I've noticed this trend that casual/non-Texan fans seem to believe the Texans have underachieved expectations for years, without ever throwing out any hard evidence of that being the case. Sure, there are a few homer fans who might have guaranteed playoffs or whatever - but you'll find that for any team, any sport. By and large, the media has pegged the Texans right about where they've ended up finishing.

13. macalu

and exactly why do the Rockets deserve respect when every time they make the playoffs they're bounced in the first round every year, save for one? in the years where they were favorites to get to the 2nd round, they choked. the Cat has pretty much summed up what i was gonna say.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the Texans Under acheived last year.
    1-5 in the division alone was enough to convince me of that.

This year the schedule is harder but I think the talent is there

Rocket River

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

Have to get off to a good start this year and keep the injuries low.

16. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Making the playoffs in the NFL is also much harder than the NBA.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't see how you compare the Rockets and the Texans

NFL playoffs > NBA playoffs

So much easier to make the post season in the NBA than it is in the NFL. Rockets have had TMAC and Yao in their prime.....and couldn't get out of the first round. How many years had it been since they finally made it out of the first round....then followed by no playoffs....

Houston is a Football town first.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The Rockets are a franchise that has won multiple championships, has a storied history, and all-time great players. The Texans are a team that has achieved a single winning season in their existence, comparing the two is laughable to say the least.

19. macalu

so the media is supposed to the give respect to the current Rockets for what the team did in 1995?

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Oh ok.

Man, those Cubs sure are great winners. TWO TIME CHAMPIONS BABY!
    Man Ryne Sandberg was awesome.
    Fergie Jenkins!

CHAMPIONS! So what if it was over 100 years ago.

Look, those Rocket championships happen over a decade and a half ago. That's a long time. No, not 100 years, but sure as hell feels like it.

Texans have been around for less than 10 years. How many teams have great history in ten years?