1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocDreamer, Jul 18, 2003.

1. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

If Posey decides to take a more lucrative offer from another team such as the Bulls, would you like to see the Rockets make a run for Jim Jackson. He is a free agent I believe, and he can play the 2 or the 3. Would provide a good backup at those positions or maybe a decent starting 3. Any thoughts?

2. jshabang

jshabang Member

Excellent pick up if we can make it

3. Drofnarc

Drofnarc Member

I believe that I read that it was pretty much a done deal that he would re-sign with the Kings. They would be silly to let him go unless they just can't afford him.

Of course, I guess nothing is 'done' until it is actually done.

--Drof

4. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

espn.com

I would make the move. There are so many questions about the 3 this season. Is Posey going to return? Will Rice be traded for a veteran big man? Nachbar shooting himself in the foot in the summer leagues..

Even if Posey were brought back I wouldn't mind starting Jackson at the 2 and bring Mobley off the bench. Sign him to the veteran minimum or split the exception. He has decent range and d's up.

#4 X-PAC, Jul 18, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  5. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Good catch, X-PAC. I was surprised to read that-- Jimmy really fit in well with the Kings last season. It was nice to see him contribute to a contender.

I would love to see him in a Rockets uniform (especially a scarlet-and-gray one), but I'm not sure about the fit. Jackson is a heady player and a smart guy, but he really does play his best with the ball in his hands. And I think the last thing the Rockets need is another player who fits that description.

I don't know. Maybe he could contribute as a mid-range scorer. He can distribute the ball, and he proved that he can help a team without being the primary option or dominating the ball, last year. I'm just trying to imagine him on the same team as Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley, where the focus (it seems) is to get the ball to Yao Ming.

Hmmm.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I would sign Jackson in a heartbeat if we could convince him to come here. Regardless of what happens with Posey, Jackson would be a very good pick up.

7. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Now we're talkin. Jackson would a tremendous signing, far better than Pike or Daniels. I'd be willing to start Jackson and either trade Mobley or bring him off the bench. Sign Jackson and Posey, then ship Posey and Mobley off to Clipland for Odom.

Francis, Jackson, Odom, Griffin, Yao. A far superior offensive unit. Ball movement would increase radically.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think Jackson would be a great pickup for the Rox.

Odom is a nice player, but I don't think he's worth Mobley AND Posey. One or the other should do. Besides, don't you think that Odom would want Mobley in Houston if he were to come to the Rox?

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

how come mobley is always being benched for whatever guard/sf we bring in or have?

i've seen hawkins kick him to the bench, boki, charlie freakin ward, piatkowski, jon barry, and now jim jackson. he's been a journeyman since his glory days in dallas (i guess those were glory days) and signed for the minimum last year and barely gets talked about in the FA period and now mobley is going to lose his job to him? i for one think jackson would be an oh so excellent pick up. a good scorer and shooter last year who can give us backcourt/sf depth. hell i'd start him at sf if posey's (who jackson is closer to than mobley) gonna get greedy on us. i'd much rather have a cost effective guy who can shoot than be hampered by a decent-sized 6 yr contract for a guy who can't shoot.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Kagy,
    Even though we have an avante-garde designer, I think the uniforms will still come in multiple sizes. Don't worry.

11. crash5179

:D

Very funny.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Jim Jackson had a really great year last year. He joined the team a quarter through the season and played well enough to relegate Hedo to bench scrub! Jackson has decent defense and seems to play a good team game. At this stage of his career he seems like a solid 6th or 7th man off the bench.

13. sydmill

sydmill Member

if we are looking at kings, why not make them an offer for Hedo? he has proved to be atleast as good as most project Boki to be and he is bigger. hedo has the misfortune of being on the deepest team in the league playing behind an allstar (Peja) and a veteran (Jackson). it seems to me that he has publicly stated he wants more time and if the only way is on another team???????

14. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Forget Hedo. JJ is a much better p/u. A mature player with excellent offensive skills. JJ would be great team at the 2/3 w/Posey. This would allow us to bring Mobley in as a 6th man or if the right deal presents itself--make a trade. This would be a welcome addition, unlike some of the junk players floating around.

15. crash5179

I don't understand you reasoning. If Jackson is better than Hedo and you can get him with out giving anyone up then why even talk about Hedo? We all know that we would have to trade someone to get Hedo.

16. jshabang

jshabang Member

This is makin my mouth water............:eek:

17. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

It doesn't take much for Webber and the Kings to make you look like a phenomenal shooting guard--witness Christie, BJ, Jackson, & Jon Barry--all guys who did much better there than when they havn't been there.

Jackson is staying in Sac, plus, based on JJ's attitude problems over the years, I'd rather have Pike, Peeler, Barry or maybe Leanard anyway.

18. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

LOL.

Desert-- as the article stated, one of the Maloof brothers was saying he didn't think Sacramento would be able to re-sign Jackson. I'm not sure if the quote was just sandbagging or if it was true, but I suppose the thinking could be that JJ will be able to sign elsewhere for more than the minimum. Is Sacramento capped out...?

19. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I think Hedo should fit the Rockets better. Assuming the Rockets are able to keep Posey, it really wouldn't make much sense shelling out the big bucks for the 3rd guy in the depth chart. Hedo plays more like a 3 than a 2, and he plays well without the ball in his hands. While Jackson is a darn good shooter, he just won't fit the team. Whenever he is playing, that means the Rockets are putting out a small lineup, and I am sick of those small lineups. Hedo is a legitimate 3, and play reasonably good defense.

However, that begs the question of how can the Rockets pry Hedo loose. Well, the best bet is probably trading them a center since Vlade is getting really old. So maybe the Rockets can entice them with Kelvin Cato. However, I really doubt the Kings' brass is impressed with Cato, and they'll probably laugh in the Rockets' face if they make that offer.

Anyway, to conclude... Jackson doesn't really fit the team IMO, while Hedo does. However, there is no darn way the Rockets can acquire Hedo, so case closed.

20. crash5179

OldManBernie,

If we are able to keep Posey then I think Jackson is easily a better fit for the team.

1. Jackson is a better defender than Hedo.

2. Jackson is a natural 2 that can also play the 3. With Jackso we can kill two birds with one stone, a back up for Cat and someone that can fill in at the three if the Rockets want to go small. Hedo can not play the 2.

3. If we give up Cato for Hedo then who is our back up center or our back up shooting guard?

4. Hedo will make about a 1.5 mil this year but he becomes a free agent next year so we only have his services for 1 year. I don't see Jackson getting much more than about half of someones 4.9 million dollar exception. 2.5 million for Jackson would be good.