1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Carrey will play Joe Biden on SNL

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Sep 16, 2020.

?

Will he accurately portray Joe Biden?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. He will have to act like Ace Ventura

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. He will have to act like Fire Marshall Bill

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Foxx vs Carrey isnt Durant vs PG13

Foxx in my view is more like a draymond green or scottie pippen. He was a part of some great movies, but was more often the supporting actor or part of an ensemble rather than the lead. He is clearly very talented and has a long and successful career. While his longevity and relevance clearly surpasses that of Carrey, I don't think he reached the same peak or stardom.

Carrey is more like a Harden or Iverson. At his peak, he was arguably the biggest name in hollywood and was paid like it. In the late 90's early 00, Carey was one of the few to be paid 20 million or more per film as he did with the cable guy, liar liar, me myself and irene, bruce almighty and how the grinch stole christmas. While Carrey didn't achieve oscar recognition, he did achieve critical recognition in the golden globes and other major awards. More improtantly, at his peak, Carrey was "the star" of his films. He was the reason people went to watch it, the reason the film was made, if it was entertaining and succesful.

Its really a question of taste and what one values in judging who's had the better career. Carrey clearly was the bigger star, bigger earner & bigger fame. Foxx on the other hand has had more critical recognition, his success has also been more consistent and longer.

JayGoogle, pgabriel and jiggyfly like this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You guys keep bringing The Mask and Dumb and Dumber but those are more cult classics, especially The Mask.

Not many people are rating those over Ray or Django.

I think if you're going to make an argument for Carrey bring up Eternal Sunshine, Truman Show.

RayRay10 and malakas like this.
  3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, Iverson is a good comparison then. I feel like Harden might be too much but that could be Rocket bias. I guess at this point in Harden's career people will equate him to Iverson.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Pretty much all comedies can be categorized as cult classic unless like movies like Parenthood And Mrs Doubtfire they have a drama element

Coming To America is one of the few pure comedies that isnt in that cult status.

JayGoogle likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So how about all of the other awards Carrey has gotten?

Anyway I don't agree but that's ok.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Iverson actually went to a championship.

It seems that you really just don't think much of Carrey.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's true, because comedy is hit or miss for most people.

I thought Borat was hilarious, but some people HAAATE it. It is what it is.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, if you keep count, Foxx still has more awards and is younger and has the major award, the one people all over the world seek.

How so? I think you just don't think much of Iverson or PG13. I said the Iverson comparison is better.

I just think Foxx has had the better career.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Cult movies?

Both of those movies made over 250 million worldwide when those numbers meant more.

Nobody is gonna rate comedies with dramas.

The argument is about the better career not dramatic movies.

RayRay10 and pgabriel like this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

And that's ok but no need to belittle the career of Carrey who by any objective measurement has had more success than George in the NBA.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You're right about numbers but they still arent taken as seriously and therefore viewed as only certain people liking them even though the numbers prove otherwise

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Cult movie isn't always about how many people saw the film but how many people actually like it. It's a lot more complicated than just looking at sales. The Mask I would consider a cult movie because it wasn't as critically acclaimed but also audience ratings were not that high either...but people still hang on to it as being an amazing movie.

When you talk about any form of art, it's subjective, and when you come to rating art the best thing you can do is basically see what the majority of people think. It doesn't invalidate any individual opinion but its really all you can do.

Also, we're not rating comedies and dramas, I agree, but we are judging their careers. Eternal Sunshine and Truman were both better received than The Mask, that's why I think if you're making an argument for Jim those would be better served for him.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I don't see how I belittled his career at all. If anything, Foxx's career has been belittled, his Oscar win diminished, his roles diminished, when he's super accomplished.

I just said that Durant-PG13 because one has accomplished a lot more than the other. If you're making individual comparisons, Iverson would be a good one, I agreed with that, but an Oscar is a big deal.

Even if you say, Durant vs Iverson, I think a lot of people, the majority, would pick Durant. You agreed that Foxx had the better career.

Even if its slightly better, what % of people are picking prime Iverson over prime Durant?

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The only film Foxx truly carried is Ray. Jim Carey damn near carries every movie. Mask has Diaz who is incredible looking in that movie. She lost weight afterwards. But i digress. Diaz is a big star but she isnt a movie carrier. That movie is all Carey. Truman Show is all Carey even with Harris

As talented as Foxx he isnt in Carey's league for pure talent. Foxx dows have presence

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Foxx was the star of Django too.

All around Foxx has more talent, he does stand up and has a music career...well to be fair Carrey also is becoming quite the painter so I should consider that, so maybe all around talent is a scratch.

RayRay10 and Invisible Fan like this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yes but we're talking acting. Fox's career is movies. Carey range is like two other great comics, Steve Martin and Robin Williams

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

The left is a religion....

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Carrey had a better height as a comedic actor. Foxx has a better acting career. Just did a floppy Spider-Man movie for *only* 768 worldwide BO. I think part of it is that he has aged really well and the other part is that he isn’t in scandals and have tried really hard not to be typecasted.

Carrey might be morebeloved for his hits, but Foxx’s career and paycheck draw is still alive.

RayRay10 and JayGoogle like this.
  19. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

The right is a cult

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Carry is insane and that is awesome

$2.5 billion
    The Canadian-American actor and comedian Jim Carrey has appeared in various feature films, television films and series, and one video game. He is one of the top-50 highest-grossing actors of all time at the North American box office, with over $2.5 billion total gross and an average of $94.3 million per film.

Movies Domestic
    Box Office
    International
    Box Office
    Worldwide
    Box Office
    As an Actor
    Leading 20 $935,954,851 $1,009,456,232 $1,945,411,083
    Supporting 10 $765,039,997 $1,153,795,076 $1,918,835,073
    Lead Ensemble Member 6 $491,932,546 $656,970,929 $1,148,903,475
    Inverviewee 2 $0 $0 $0
    (Unclassified) 4 $47,828,946 $0 $47,828,946
    In Technical Roles Executive Producer 1 $0 $0 $0
    Director 1 $0 $0 $0
    Screenwriter 1

I didn't add it up but it's close. But Foxx is a triple threat acting, comedy and music,

Tie

RayRay10 and pgabriel like this.