1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jim Buss says Lakers unwilling to trade both Bynum and Gasol for Dwight

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jopatmc, Dec 25, 2011.

1. kjayp

kjayp Member

agreed - provided of course he's willing to sign an extension....

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I agree. You can't depend on Bynum, and even if you like Gasol's play style, how much longer does he have at this level? Plus, those two aren't as likely to attract free agents as Dwight.

I suppose Jim Buss has to say he wouldn't make this deal, but were it presented to him I would like to think he would take it in a heartbeat.

3. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

What an idiot. The likes of Gasol come and go every now and then, pretty rare but still can be found. The likes of Bynum will come and go in every several years or so.

The likes of Dwight never happens. It wasn't supposed to happen, he is a freak of nature, an anomaly. There is no other physical specimen like him in the entire world. And Im thinking there will never be another guy with his physical gifts.

What an idiot.

4. thething

thething Member

Stephen Curry is the best young player that could be traded. But I doubt they make the deal without an extension. Pairing Ellis with Howard would be great though.

5. SPF35

SPF35 Member

Its not if Bynum or gasol individually are worth more than gasol, but together would you rather have Bynum+Gasol or Dwight+Mcroberts? You are taking out an entire potential 20 point option and weapon from the lineup. Its not an easy decision.

Lets not forget Howard's weak mentality. I mean this new age stars complaining and crying to goto bigger markets is one thing, btu the other parts of Howard not wanting to be screamed at or grilled by coach?! Cmon, I feel bad for Stan Van gundy...a coach literallly can't execute his game plan and personality out of fear for offending the star who is too sensitive. Wow, I would've loved to see howard play for Pat Riley who would rip a whole in him and send him home crying probably.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

I think Buss is being a bit disingenuous here.

No, he wouldn't trade Bynum and Gasol for Howard. He couldn't if he wanted to. The salaries don't match.

BUT, he'd be stupid not to trade the two players and take back Howard and, say, Turkoglu (or some player from the Rockets, if we wanted to get in on the Gasol action again [or from some other third team]).

He'd have another superstar to build around for the future. Why give that up because he wants to adopt the guy who clotheslined Barea? (Isn't he the one who for some reason seems really attached to Bynum?) Why give that up for Gasol, who has, what?, 4 or 5 good years left, and much less box office draw?

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I agree with Buss. I'm still not sold that Howard can carry a team to a championship.

Now if we were talking about prime Hakeem, prime Shaq, or even prime Duncan then hell yes Buss would probably pull the trigger.

Give me Gasol + Bynum any day of the week. Best front court in the NBA as long as they're healthy.

8. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

As a Clipper fan, i would be willing to trade Blake Griffin and Deandre Jordan for Dwight Howard...

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Are you still against the CP3 trade?

10. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

No i love Chris Paul. i just realize that i really hate Blake Griffin.

11. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

LOL why? He's the best draft pick in that franchise's miserable history.

Best Clippers player in history.

12. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Give me Elton Brand any day. Gator Arms Griffin is a sieve on defense and doesn't even seem to try on that end of the court.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When did you change your mind and why?

14. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

i changed my mind when i saw the impact that Chris Paul has on a team. CP3's ability to control a tempo and get every one involved surpasses Gordon's explosive ability to score, and good perimeter defense.

As for Blake Griffin, the guy gets on my nerves. He flops around like a fish starting down opponents and even teammates as he b****es to the refs, teammates about missed defensive assignments, despite the fact that Griffin himself has the same if not more defensive lapses.

15. pmac

pmac Member

That's the thing that worries me most about Griffin. I have this feeling he'll never develop a low post game to create better spacing on offense or focus as much as he should defensively. Basically, he's looking like a better rebounding Amare Stoudemire.

But, Dirk won a championship without those things (although he's great in the high post area) so that's no longer a huge problem in this current era of the nba.

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

I'd say some of that is trying to be the franchise "leader". Griffin is NOT a vocal guy, so he has to use gestures to exert himself. Hakeem Olajuwon had a quiet graceful confidence, but the YOUNG Hakeem was still getting into fights on the court, not trusting his teammates and the front office.

Personally I thought Dwight Howard was the MVP last year, not Derrick Rose. Jim Buss should maybe think ONCE about Pau + Bynum for Gasol, but then go ahead and approve it if he ever got that offer...

17. amaru

amaru Member

Yes they will

18. supdudes

supdudes Member

Bynum is gonna be beast, just watch.

Howard won't contribute as much to the Lakers as CP3 would've. PG is their biggest problem. Hell, if they get Arenas they'd be a hell of a team

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm not sure CP3 and Kobe, who both dominate the ball, would have meshed that well. IMO, Howard will help them more than CP3 would have. With Mike Brown as coach, the Lakers defense would be scary with DH in the middle.